Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What CPU can i get on july 22 for $180?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 22, 2007 12:16:14 AM

What CPU can i get on july 22 for $180? I was planing on building a PC for in 2 weeks to replace my current system a...

AMD 1.6Ghz
7600GT 256mb
1 gig of 266mhz ram
40 GB HD

PC i want to build

650i MB
E6420 (maybe a 2.8 OC)
X1950 XT 256mb
2 x 1 gig g. skill 800MHz
160gb hd

is it worth the wait? my system pretty bad now, it bottlenecks the hell out of my 7600gt. i lag big time on medieval 2 total war, FEAR get about 24 fps, and even battle for middle earth 1 lags a little. any advice?

More about : cpu july 180

May 22, 2007 1:20:12 AM

Personally, if I were in the market right now, I'd wait (actually, I'm probably not in the market because I am waiting).

I'd probably consider going with the P35/x38 chipset depending on what the prices are. Save a little more between now and then and pick up a q6600 or go for a lower priced dual core. Either way, that path might give you more options in the future.

I'm no expert, but I want at least the option of purchasing a current proc 12-18 months after my build, as I kind of got screwed on my current one. Built S939 rig in Nov. '05 and AMD switches to AM2/DDR2. Makes it a bit expensive to "upgrade" CPU/mobo/ram all at once.

And if you do wait, would you consider a good deal on an X1800XT 512? :D  Performs on par with the X1950XT 256 if I remember correctly. 8)
May 22, 2007 1:23:47 AM

Wow, AMD 1.6Ghz with 1GB of 266ram can get 24fps in FEAR? Now i won't feel quite as bad having a AMD 1.3Ghz Duron. BTW, i don't think you should buy a MB with 650i chipset, it doesn't overclock well. Get a mainboard with intel P965 or X975. It's worth the wait if you have a limited budget. I think you should stick with your GeForce 7600 256MB and save some $ for DX10 graphic card when its cheap. Buy a DS3 or P5B delux mobo and a aftermarket HSF. This way, you have a better chance of overclocking highier to get more performance.
Related resources
May 22, 2007 1:37:15 AM

Hmmmm. I don't remember who said it, but it was good. "Build a new PC when you need it, wait if you don't need it right now, there will always be new tech on the horizon so waiting is pointless unless you can.

Sorry, I hope I didn't butcher it.. and sorry for not giving credit for who said it..

Anyways, its up to you.. there will obviously be better tech by July, heck maybe even some Barcy/Phenom or w/e its called now. But if you are fed up with your system to the point of frustration and throwing out the window.. its probably time.. I'm guessing its not that extreme, but it choice is yours..

180 in July hmmm, Intels price cuts should knock quite a few chips into that range, e6600 & 67s.. I did hear something about quads comming down wayyyy low, but not sure about it. For AMD.. The 6000+ will probably get close if not within...

Idk if anyone knows the pricing of Barcy or intels thing, can't remember what it is... anyways, 180 on a new product series.. would probably get you a low end chip, but with some nice hardware surrounding it, you could probably OC it nicely...

Maybe, if you don't feel like waiting, and you aren't gonna buy all at once, start with products that do not hinder a different processor line.. I.E. HDDs, monitor, case, ect..

But from what I hear... The desktop user will have little to no advantage by using DDR3 and HT3 with Barcy.. Not sure about intel's new stuff.. So you could always go for something cheap now, OC it.. and then buy ur new stuff

Vid cards... tricky tricky... I suggest reading some other treads and finding out what they have to say about DX10 cards (8800s 2900s) I don't want to start a 8800 vs 2900 spiel here.

Id say wait to see how a real DX10 game performs with the given cards and then decide from there, as of now,I think people are grabbing in the dark, or with a little insight, that the current "dx10" cards will be sufffice.. I don't know man..

Well hope this was helpfull.. good luck..
May 22, 2007 9:16:33 PM

It depends where you live i guess:

Right now you can get:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (65W) $159.99
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 $168.99

these are prices in Toronto Canada

Maybe by July 22 there might be another price drop ....hang in there till then unless you really can't wait.
!