Vista keeps freezing...any ideas?

jerry292

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
Im stumped with this problem on a system...

Currently Windows Vista Home will not load. Everything seems fine with the Bios. Everything is set right and loading OK. Then windows starts to load. The green progress bar goes from left to right. Then the screen goes black and the system hangs and does nothing. No error message or anything. Sometimes you can see the mouse pointer, sometimes you cant.

It boots fine into Safe Mode. There is not any driver conflict in Device Manager but I reinstalled the graphics driver just for the heck of it. No change.

I've been told that prior to this problem the system would at times freeze up randomly even if no program was running. So I figured possibly a memory problem, but I ran a test program on that and it shows the memory is fully functioning.

I disconnected everything but the hard drive and graphics card. Again...same problem.

I've just about run out of options and the only thing I can think of trying next is to reinstall Windows. Anyone ever ran into this or have any ideas?

Thanks

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
What are the specs?
If it boots fine in safe mode, then it's probably not a memory problem. It's most likely a software problem.

I'd boot into safe mode, run msconfig and disable everything on the startup tab.

I would also try a repair install before a reinstall.

Also try a 'system restore' from safe mode. It does sound like some software or driver issue on the face of it.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
In your bios do you have the option to see the voltages?
Check to be sure thay are not fluctuating.
Also while in safe mode goto control panel|performance|advanced|view performance logs and see if they are giving any
description of any possible problems.