Intel D845GLVA Mb Problem, No Boot!

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hi

I have this computer from a friend. It doesnt boot at all. Not even the fans spins no lights go on no nothing. this case contains

an Intel D845GLVA Mb
Some 478 P4 CPU and a WD hard drive with 2 cd roms a floppy drive and thats it.
256mb of DDR400 memory.

I have tried a different power supply but the pc wont boot! The only thing I have noticed is that a yellow-greenish light (like the monitors have) lights up near the RAM slots, I read the manual and it says it means Suspend-To-RAM. I dont have no DDR sticks so I cant try with another RAM stick and I dont have another CPU to try.

I have removed the modem which is PCI and nothing. I have also removed the battery for 2 mins (i know is short time) and still nothing, have tried moving the pin configuration for the BIOS but nothing. I dont think the power on button from the case is not working since it seems ok.

Any ideas of what can be happening?

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Check the MB manual for the reset and power switch. If you have them mixed up, it might not start. To check if the MB is working if you can't find the manual , find the reset and power switch, follow the cables to the metal pins on your motherboard, take a picture with your digital camera in case if this doesn't solve your problem so you can revert back, remove the plugins, use a scissor and maneuver the blades so all pins are touching each other like diagram below. It should start your computer.

. . . . .
-------------- the scissor blades touching all pins
. . . . .

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
No leaking capacitors

will try the scissors thing to see if the board turns on.

I notice apart from the light on the motherboard, everytime I turn on the switch in the PSU, the light in the MB comes up and there is this sound coming from the PSU (but as I said, it cant be the PSU since I already tried another working PSU).

Will keep trying

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
The sound from the PSU is normal. I believe there will be a sound even if you don't connect anything to the PSU. The BUZZ sound is just the capacitors.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Actually, this sound (sounds like a fan trying to spin but it cant) I cant tell if its coming from the PSU or the CPU area (sounds more from teh CPU area to me)

BTW, I only have the ATX, 8pin CPU and power for the HDD. Also only the HDD via ATA and nothing else. Unfortuntaely it doesnt turn on.

Also I have to mention, when I opened the case, the motherboard was totally putted in the worse place I ever seen. The guy who built this PC put different screws on each hole (lol) and also, you know the brown screws that go in first before the motherboard to put it on place, well, this case doesnt have that, it has some metal things which almost most of them are out already and only 2 screws are holding the motherboard now, I cant do anything, this metal parts fell off.

Tried turning it on outside the case and nothing. Could it be that a shortage happened? the board looks in great condition but nothin turns on, only this yellow light.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
What do you mean by turning outside of the case? Did you take the whole motherboard out of the case and tried to boot it? Its most likely be a short in the back of the mobo.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
The Yellow LED is indicating you have power to the motherboard.

Pull everything out of the board even memory but leave the Processor in. Then pull the CMOS batter out with power off to the board and short the battery terminals together. This is a last ditch effort to clear CMOS. Short the battery terminals together for about 15 seconds. Then re-install the CMOS battery.

Then with only the processor in the board apply power to the board either with the PS power switch or just plug in the power cable.

If the board does power on good. If not, then you can pull the heatsink and reset the processor and attempt to power the board up.

If this does not work. Find another processor that is supported by this motherboard and test with it. If that still does not work and the motherboard is still under warranty then return it to post sales support. You have a dead motherboard.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Take the CMOS battery from its holder. You will see on the bottom of the battery holder 1 or 2 metal strips that are bent to provide contact to the bottom of the CMOS battery. There will be another contact for the surface of the CMOS battery. making contact with these resets the CMOS batter and clears BIOS settings and forces it to go back to a default settings state.

You can use the battery itself to short the contacts or any piece of metal will do. It is a very simple percedure.

samirw2k

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
I have exactly the same problem and i tried all these suggestions already. My conclusion is the moterboard is bad. Searching for a Motherboard online as this is a obsolete board and is only available on ebay or second hand shop.
Was checking the web and realised this board has a history of problems with capacitors on motherboard.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I have a feeling that the board is dead. I have tried botting with no battery and also by putting it after 2 mins but no boot, I mean, it should at least boot dont u think?

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Thats what is weird, I dont know what else to try. I had this problem with my PIII system, the light of suspend-to-ram would turn on but nothing else would turn on, I found out that it was the CPU (tualatin) that wasnt supported by my motherboard (A2 stepping didnt support tualatin on Intel D815) so when I changed the CPU to a coppermine the computer turned on.

But in this case, my friend told me that the PC worked perfectly when it was active so I dont think is the CPU, then he decided to leave it on his garage (2 years went by) and now doesnt want to boot.

I told him the mobo is probably dead and he might want to keep the HDD and cd-rom drives.

Any suggestions will still be listened.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
All the Green LED on the board lit means is that the 5V STBY rail of the PS is up and supplying the motherboard.

If you remove the memory and the board powers on but you received 3 beep tones then the board is attempting to boot but if you can't even get it to power on then there is something seriously wrong with the motherboard or processor. But you already said that you tried the processor in another board and it worked. So by process of elimination the motherboard has gone bad.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I tried another working 350watts PSU and it didnt boot.

I have tried to boot with no memory but it wouldnt turn on.

I also removed the CPU and put it back but nothing.

Does this mean the mobo is dead? I wanna make sure whatever I tell my friend is true and guaranteed.