Wireless being stolen?

DyslexicChaos

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Hey guys. I got a wireless router and set it up, no password or anything, as I was busy (yeah, dumb, whatever. Didn't think anyone around here would have a wireless device with no router... anyway, when going to my DHCP client list, I see this:

my.php

*edit: Why is this image not showing up? I'm using image brackets and such...

sans the blocked mac addresses of course ;) . The circled connection and mine and my roomates, so their fine. The rest are outside connections. I saw this and, of course, changed my PSK and router passwords, but they still show up as DHCP clients. So, are these just people who happen to have wireless devices that my router is picking up, but they aren't using my connection? Or, if they are using my connection, what do I have to change on my router to prevent it?

Thanks in advance for your reply guys!

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Well if it list them as a client see if you can ping the ip address listed. It might just be a leftover from when they connected the first time. If this is really bothering you just reset the router and set up wpa again. You have to have a short or dictionary password for them to break. It your card supports it you can also enable AES encryption with wpa. I severely doubt someone would take the time to break it.