Sign in with
Your question

OS migration, using linux........

Tags:
  • Linux
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 10, 2012 4:35:18 PM

Hello, I will get to the skinny, I want to migrate my Harddrive from my ASUS laptop, to my new build ASUS desktop, that way I don't have to go through all the trouble of re-installing all my programs. I have tried using clonezilla, but that damaged the boot sector, and was a no go. I have heard that there is a linux based, bootable iso out there, that will perform exactly what I am looking to do.

It is supposed to clone the entire drive, minus the drivers, only leaving the generics, so there is no hardware conflict when you try to boot for the first time in the new machine. Does anyone know what distribution that is?

Also, while doing a test on a different machine, I tried doing a clone through windows management tools, but that changed both drives from basic, to dynamic, making it also unbootable. Now I am in the process of trying to change the dynamic C drive, back to basic, so it will boot, and have since learned that "dynamic" is the proprietary term for RAID1 in microsoft.

Now, what I am trying to do is NOT illegal, I have OS7 ultimate running on the laptop, but I want it on the desktop, and I have an OEM OS7 home premium to replace the current Ultimate running on the laptop. I have keys obviously for both OS's. This is a MIGRATION, not a duplication.

Thanks in advance, I am relatively new to linux, have used SLAX to save my butt a few times, and tried ubuntu and others as well, when getting data from dying hard drives.......either way, I am still a COMPLETE rookie when it comes to linux.

More about : migration linux

a b 5 Linux
January 10, 2012 5:45:00 PM

I've not heard of the clone tool you mention but would be interested to know more.

A similar question was asked in the business computing section the other day, although in that case it was 2k8 and the guy wanted to move the drive to new HW following a failure.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/469-54-migrating-wi...

Personally I'd be more inclined to do the re-install route to be sure but to each their own. I'd also be a little cautious with the OEM copy that you have there, they can be modified by the OEM and not work on other systems.

m
l
January 10, 2012 5:54:28 PM

I left room for confusion, my bad, and thanks for the reply. If I find the software I am thinking about, I will let you know, and give you a link.

As for my OS's, the ultimate is a retail version full, so I should not have any trouble moving it to the new machine, as it will only be running on ONE machine once I have the new build up and running (hopefully in the clone manner I am requesting info on).

I have bought a new OEM OS7home premium for the laptop that the ultimate is currently installed on. I might have problems with this, because I bought this online at tigerdirect, and did not know that it has a USA/CANADA only restriction. I am hoping that since I am ex-military, I can call microsoft, explain my situation, and do the activation over the phone, so I don't run into trouble later.

Also, just so it is clear, the migration is to save hopefully time, and hassles, I have exactly what I want running on the laptop, just they way I want it, with a lot of programs that are large and take a long time to install again. Second, if this works as planned, then I won't have to go through the process of registering the product a second time, which I know sends up flags with mickysoft. If I was still in the US, I would not worry about it, but since I am in the Philippines, probably the third or fourth largest pirate country in the world, I want to keep mickysoft happy.

By the way, you avatar says you are a veteran, is that on here, or military? If military, thanks for your service, if here, well thanks for your reply......not sure what else I should say :) 

audiovoodoo said:
I've not heard of the clone tool you mention but would be interested to know more.

A similar question was asked in the business computing section the other day, although in that case it was 2k8 and the guy wanted to move the drive to new HW following a failure.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/469-54-migrating-wi...

Personally I'd be more inclined to do the re-install route to be sure but to each their own. I'd also be a little cautious with the OEM copy that you have there, they can be modified by the OEM and not work on other systems.

m
l
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
January 11, 2012 12:18:38 AM

It means forum (Veteran).
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 11, 2012 1:47:45 AM

Stalker6Recon fights IED's. I just fight IDM's. [/The regulars will get that one!]

My father was in the British Military for a few years, but before I made an entry to the world myself. My elder sister was actually born on-base. I'm too much of a pacifist for the military myself. Respect the folks that serve, but not those political cowards that create the conditions where they have to.

Back to the original question. It sounds like you need to clone the drive first then run that technique in the thread I linked to using the recovery options; I just can't find anything that does drivers as part of the clone.
Are you able to copy the disc in your laptop to an external drive and then to the new build? If you can then we can use http://www.sysresccd.org to create a disc image and then restore it to the new machine. If not then we need to find something that could do it over a network and the solution changes somewhat.

m
l
January 11, 2012 3:08:04 AM

Well originally, I did the clone from the laptop, to an external, using clonezilla, but when I tried that drive in the new case, it would not boot. I tried a boot fix, and windows said insert driver disc, I tried both the asus mobo drivers disc, and the "browse" feature. It was looking for "setup configuration", and there is no search for file features available. I looked in a lot of folders, anything saying setup, I tried, and they all failed. I would have had to search thousands of files manually, if that file even exists. So after trying for about an hour to locate the file, I gave up.

Now my options are to take the drive out of the laptop, and put it in the new tower (HAF 942, plenty of space), and remove all the other drives, currently 6 hard drives. I will leave one drive inside, a WD caviar black, 500GB, same size as the laptop, and clone to that. I will try your method, and see how it goes. Hope it goes well, and thanks again for taking the time to respond to my question. I have only been a member for a day, and I have meet some good people, and some twats, you are one of the good ones, appreciate that...........Anthony :) 

"Are you able to copy the disc in your laptop to an external drive and then to the new build? If you can then we can use http://www.sysresccd.org to create a disc image and then restore it to the new machine. If not then we need to find something that could do it over a network and the solution changes somewhat."
m
l
!