Sign in with
Your question

New to linux based OS, mythbuntu

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 11, 2012 5:52:10 AM

ok so basically i think i've done good figuring most things out, but i've got Mythbuntu on my HTPC (that i'm on atm) and i can't install anything off of Ubuntu Software Center. It keeps telling me to check my internet connection, which seeing as i'm posting this is obviously connected. I can't get wine which is annoying but the worse thing is i can't get flash installed... can i use the terminal to bypass USC? and if so what do i put in the terminal to get these 2 programs to install?

More about : linux based mythbuntu

January 11, 2012 3:01:25 PM

it's not just Ubuntu Software Center, it's anything i want to download. tried running updates today (i have 130 updates to dl) and i get this error: "The action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources." do i have something set up wrong? i could really use help on this, I'm completely new to Linux and while there are a lot of things i like, this one thing if i can't fix it is going to ruin it completely for me. This is for an HTPC, so i HAVE to be able to download and install certain programs.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 11, 2012 9:06:19 PM

To see network information go into terminal and type in

1. ifconfig

or for wireless networks
  1. iwconfig

To update your system, it is possible that the Ubuntu software centre has somehow glitched. Try running this command from terminal, it will ask for your root password...

1. sudo apt-get update
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2012 10:46:01 PM

i did all that, i ended up figuring it out after messing with some things, incase anyone has the same problem go to the Update Manager > Settings (bottom lefthand corner) > Ubuntu Software and check ."Software Restricted by Copyright or Legal Issue" and "Source Code" then go to Other Software tab and make sure everything is checked. i messed around with a bunch of other stuff, but i believe this is what did it... i also clicked "Download From:" and "Other..." and hit ".Choose best" and it changed where i downloaded from.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 11, 2012 10:48:54 PM

Always good to hear.

I just prefer to dive into terminal. Haha.

Case closed then?
m
l
January 19, 2012 3:30:40 PM

lol ypu, closed... and yeah i'm learning terminal is a lot quicker once you start to learn it, a lot simpler too.
m
l
!