New to linux based OS, mythbuntu

Lapez89

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
ok so basically i think i've done good figuring most things out, but i've got Mythbuntu on my HTPC (that i'm on atm) and i can't install anything off of Ubuntu Software Center. It keeps telling me to check my internet connection, which seeing as i'm posting this is obviously connected. I can't get wine which is annoying but the worse thing is i can't get flash installed... can i use the terminal to bypass USC? and if so what do i put in the terminal to get these 2 programs to install?

Lapez89

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
it's not just Ubuntu Software Center, it's anything i want to download. tried running updates today (i have 130 updates to dl) and i get this error: "The action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources." do i have something set up wrong? i could really use help on this, I'm completely new to Linux and while there are a lot of things i like, this one thing if i can't fix it is going to ruin it completely for me. This is for an HTPC, so i HAVE to be able to download and install certain programs.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
To see network information go into terminal and type in

Code:
ifconfig
or for wireless networks
Code:
iwconfig

To update your system, it is possible that the Ubuntu software centre has somehow glitched. Try running this command from terminal, it will ask for your root password...

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Lapez89

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
i did all that, i ended up figuring it out after messing with some things, incase anyone has the same problem go to the Update Manager > Settings (bottom lefthand corner) > Ubuntu Software and check ."Software Restricted by Copyright or Legal Issue" and "Source Code" then go to Other Software tab and make sure everything is checked. i messed around with a bunch of other stuff, but i believe this is what did it... i also clicked "Download From:" and "Other..." and hit ".Choose best" and it changed where i downloaded from.