Will HP Scanjet 5200c series scanner work with Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislongski

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I find google hits that refer to Linux support for this scanner, but the links go 'round and 'round and none ever say: This is how you install an HP Scanjet 5200c series on Linux.

Ubuntu 11.10, HP Pavillion

chrislongski

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Got it! Never found a way to open the application, though.

Let's face it - Linux is at an embryonic stage equivalent to Windows 3.11 - before PNP - when applications installation assumed everyone was proficient in DOS. It is definitely not suitable for any of my clients, though this one who has it,but no tfor long if I can help it...

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
There probably is a package in the Ubuntu software centre if you like it so. Just search HP and it should work. It will be called hp-lip or something like that. That my friend will be a lovely GUI installation with pretty pictures :).

But... could always type in terminal.

Code:
su
<password>
cd <directory of file>
sh hp*.run

chrislongski

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Yes, this computer has HPLIP - but I never figgered out how to invoke the application. I'll freely admit I am a Linux rookie, but it appears a chaotic, every-man-for-himself environment.

Thank-you for your assistance - will try your most recent,AmdGirl...

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Running U_10.04LTS on AMD965 etc.

I believe U_8.04 was the last time Ubuntu **tried** to create a self.administering system for the casual-Linux-lusr.

May I repeat that phrase -- casual-Linux-lusr... it's who most of us are!! We have **real** work to do and no talent, time, or interest to become a foamy-mouth Debiolian or Slackmolian coding GURU!

Since U_8.04LTS (Red Hat 6 w/o the fedora) it's been all downhill from there dicing between unintelligible feaux MAC GUIz and randomly functioning hardware support. Took them six-months to get U_10.04 working and never did support the temp chip on my MSI mobo!! They have just given up, pretending good faith, primping and fauning and double-talking without giving out ONE BULLITPROOF SOLUTION!

BTW: I've recently had to jump hoops getting a digital camera and scanner to work, and must return to Window to enable function for a common-as-beans voltage DATALOGGER. Where is the support app that should be common as a word processor? ...mercy...!!!

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

1. Please we have a topic
2. If you hate Linux so much, what are you doing here? Nobody is forcing you to use it or post here. You can use Windows you know.
3. Since when was Ubuntu representative of Linux as a whole? Have you seen my desktop? More Windows than Mac OS X. One must chose his/her own.
6562062287_1c36a3e5be_b.jpg

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

If HP-LIP is already installed, then if you search Ubuntu software centre for 'scan' you should see scanning programs. If your scanner is installed via the drivers it should work fine.

I would check myself, but I have never had a pure scanner before.

Status
Not open for further replies.