Core Voltage + core speed jumping

ukaaron

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Hi guys i just made a cheap pc for my son to play world of warcraft but after the pc was making lots of noise i looked in cpu-z to see that the core voltage was jumping from 0.944 - 1.376 constantly also the core speed was jumping from 500.56 Mhz to 3700.00 Mhz constantly also multiplier is always jumping up and down. Is this normal or do i have a problem.

Steps i have taken so far - Tried different PSU but no change

PC specs

CPU: AMD FX 4100 Black Edition (4x3.6Ghz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 880GM-USB3
Memory: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz vengeance (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: 500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6790 1GB
Soundcard: Onboard 7.1 audio
Case: Zalman Z9 plus
PSU: 400W Xigmatek

Any help would be much appreciated Thanks everyone

cbrunnem

Distinguished
everything sounds fine to me. the multiplier and voltage jumping around is completely normal. all cpus do it.

the noise is likely from either the fans being defective or running to fast or the hard drive is rattling in its cage.

obsama1

Distinguished
If it's constantly changing, than it's a problem. If it changes every few seconds, than it's not a problem. The CPU will dynamically adjust clock speeds to save energy. Also, check your motherboard revision. If it's 1.x, than the mobo might be the problem. The 1.x revisions don't support the FX-4100, so that might be causing the issue. If it's 3.1, then you're OK, but I would suggest updating the BIOS to fix the issue. Just don't update the BIOS from Windows. Update the BIOS from within the BIOS.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
the 1.x doesn't have an am3+ socket, the 4100 wouldn't even fit if it was.

as for the constant changing, thats normal, if you don't like it, disable all power saving controls, usually found under the advanced tab in the bios. cool-n-quiet, c1e, c6 state or any other option that might be there.

As for updating the bios, the gigabyte boards have dual-bios. IE you don't have to worry about a bad bios update. It will still boot even if it doesn't work.

TRENDING THREADS