Sign in with
Your question

8800GTS 640 vs HD 2900XT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2007 6:02:58 AM

Which is better to buy since they have similar price?

More about : 8800gts 640 2900xt

May 22, 2007 6:05:54 AM

They don't have similar price! :roll:
May 22, 2007 6:46:22 AM

The 8800GTS 640 cards should be around $50 cheaper than 2900XT cards.
Related resources
May 22, 2007 6:50:45 AM

This shady company will not replace a defective card. Be warned.
May 22, 2007 7:54:59 AM

I'd say 8800GTS 640. For HD2900XT, I think you should have a big fan in your case since it has high temp when operate at full load.
May 22, 2007 8:06:30 AM

Quote:
...you should have a big fan in your case...

AND a Big headphone/speaker cause you can't hear your games & of course a Nuclear Reactor! :roll:
May 22, 2007 8:37:32 AM

Quote:
...you should have a big fan in your case...

AND a Big headphone/speaker cause you can't hear your games & of course a Nuclear Reactor! :roll:

What about just creating your own micro-sun using Nuclear Fusion? It'll probably produce less heat than the HD2900XT too!

Anyway, i'd rather have the HD2900XT as i suspect it'll stomp all over the 8800 series in DX10.
May 22, 2007 9:00:53 AM

I havn't had any problems with heat on the 2900xt. I havn't got any software to check the gpu temps but if the hardware is made to sustain what it puts off then there's nothing to worry about. All the heat gets exhausted out the back of the card and outside your case. Havn't noticed any higher temps on other hardware. The 2900 is actually more quite than my old card.

@OP: I'd buy whichever is more convenient for you. If you're building a system from scratch then convenience doesn't matter that much since you won't have to worry about reformatting/reinstalling or anything. If you're just buying a new video card for an already existing computer with a specific video card brand chipset then I'd say buy the brand that matches your chipset unless you don't mind reformatting and reinstalling everything. Since the cards have similar performance it doesn't matter that much other than a slight price difference.
May 22, 2007 9:08:03 AM

Quote:
Anyway, i'd rather have the HD2900XT as i suspect it'll stomp all over the 8800 series in DX10.

We will see about that! 8)
Quote:
...I havn't had any problems with heat on the 2900xt. I havn't got any software to check the gpu temps but if the hardware is made to sustain what it puts off then there's nothing to worry about.

You don't need any software to check your card's temps.
Just open your case & look at the card when you are playing, you can see it glows from it's red PCB to yellow & white!(Just don't touch it if you like your hands!)
May 22, 2007 9:32:22 AM

Quote:
...I havn't had any problems with heat on the 2900xt. I havn't got any software to check the gpu temps but if the hardware is made to sustain what it puts off then there's nothing to worry about.

Just open your case & look at the card when you are playing, you can see it glows from it's red PCB to yellow & white!(Just don't touch it if you like your hands!)[/quote]

Do you have the 2900xt?
May 22, 2007 9:35:14 AM

Quote:

Just open your case & look at the card when you are playing, you can see it glows from it's red PCB to yellow & white!(Just don't touch it if you like your hands!)

Do you have the 2900xt?[/quote]

Of course he doesn't, he's flying high, his Nvidia colours for all to see ;-)
May 22, 2007 9:48:10 AM

So he's pretty much talking out his ass then.
May 22, 2007 10:17:42 AM

I just got the 8800 GTS 640mb over the HD2900XT. the performance is about the same, the 8800 wins the most tho. I have an ATI and an Nvidia card in my systems and I,m more of an ATI fanboy but I really prefer the Nvidia drivers, I never have problems with them. and the ATI drivers give me problems ever so often. so that's why I went with Nvidia and would recommend it to others
May 22, 2007 10:24:13 AM

Yup, his sphincter even has teeth...
May 22, 2007 10:26:07 AM

As has been said, the price isn't exactly the same. You can get a GTS 640 for about $370 after mirb; I think that's the cheapest I've seen.

Another factor to consider is whether you will use the comp only for gaming or not. The HD playback and HDMI of the 2900XT might be enough to equalize the price if you're going to use your pc for that.

Just something else to consider.
May 22, 2007 10:50:53 AM

Not sure which is better since I never tried the ATI brand but I was able to find an EVGA 8800GTS 640MB for $349 with free shipping from www.buy.com. Also it has a mail in rebate for $30 knocking total down to $319. I love my 8800 since it kicks ass on all the games I play and looking forward to playing COD4 and Crysis on DX10.
May 22, 2007 10:59:02 AM

IMO when the dust settles over DX10 (by the end of the year) the 2900XT will perform better than the 8800GTS (not sure by what margin).
Everyone's saying that 2900XT was not intended to compete against the 8800 since its priced lower, I think it was meant to compete but since it was slower they priced it lower.
As for DX10/Vista drivers I think both companies are guilty of poor drivers and the situation should improve soon (Halo 2 releases 22nd May and Shadowrun 29th may).
Noise is not much of an issue with me but heat is so I'll probably go for a 8800GTS (and hope that nVidia can squeeze out a lot more performance from its drivers).
May 22, 2007 11:02:27 AM

I pretty much agree that the drivers right now is not mature and we are mostly guessing which would be better under DX10 under the current drivers for Vista. Heck Vista itself is still new and need more refinement, which maybe will come like SP1 and SP2 of WinXP.
Just happy my 880GTS works like a charm under current NVidia drivers. Hope they continue to work on improving their drivers.
May 22, 2007 11:07:53 AM

Quote:
AND a Big headphone/speaker cause you can't hear your games & of course a Nuclear Reactor!

Quote:
What about just creating your own micro-sun using Nuclear Fusion? It'll probably produce less heat than the HD2900XT too!

I think you guys should read thic article first before make laugh of somebody. Cause I tried to gave the information based on what I've read on the website.

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=138725
"the Radeon HD 2900 XT consumes considerably more power, produces more HEAT, and generates more noise as well."
May 22, 2007 11:18:00 AM

The real fact is you can go out and buy the HD2900XT(it's your money after all :wink: ),OK, but then you have to sit on your chair and wait for AMD/ATI to release a better driver to improve your performance and you can pray at night to god for beating the 8800Series in DirectX10. :roll:
Go to the Graphics Cards main page & you can see lots of thread of HD2900XT's owner about bad performance of HD2900XT.
and i don't see any above reply that recommended the HD2900XT! :roll:
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2007 11:27:01 AM

Quote:

We will see about that! 8)
Quote:

Quote:
Go to the Graphics Cards main page & you can see lots of thread of HD2900XT's owner about bad performance of HD2900XT.
and i don't see any above reply that recommended the HD2900XT!
May 22, 2007 11:34:49 AM

The 8800gts 640 has most of the bugs worked out while the X2900XT will be ironing out its issues for awhile yet.Bothe offer very nice performance in and out of DX10 mode,and bothe show similar benchmarks.So I guess the only real deciding factor is price and personal opinion.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471
May 22, 2007 11:36:26 AM

Here are some of people's crying! :roll:
Link1
Link2
Link3
I`m not gonna mess with you John, cause you are a 100% ATI FanBoy. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2007 11:53:01 AM

Quote:
Here are some of people's crying! :roll:
Link1
Link2
Link3
I`m not gonna mess with you John, cause you are a 100% ATI FanBoy. :wink:
OK, I guess you listen to robslin then , but heres the complaints
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed performance of the 2900xt in vista 64 is severly lacking? My previous generation ati card is outperforming it. Just curious to know if it's just my system or if others are experiencing the same thing.

I guess if youre using Vista 64 then you may have some problems.
Quote:
I just got a 2900xt today and for some reason I'm getting about 15-25 less fps with it that my old x1800xt in vista 64 ultimate and I have no clue why. when I first hooked up the 2900 I only plugged in 2x3 into the 8 pin slot cause I didn't know it needed two. In vista I got some warning message that said my psu might not be able to support my card and said the clock frequencies had been reduced. After that I turned off the computer and plugged in another 2x3 and didn't get the message again but I'm still gettin horrible frame rates in oblivion. Did vista turn the frequencies on my card down until I can somehow turn them back up? BTW it's reporting in the catalyst hardware information that the gpu clock speed is 507 and the memory clock speed is 514 and I know those should be higher caues those are lower than the x1800xt. Anyone know what's going on here
This is by the same poster, jusomedude, the one I referred to earlier, as hes arguing with you about the performance of the card he owns.... And finally your last link
Quote:
My old system had a 6800GT SLI setup. I uninstalled the old nVidia drivers and replaced the cards with a 2900XT. I then installed the newest radeon drivers and updated my motherboard drivers (which is a nVidia nForce 4 SLI). I think that the card runs fine in games (it seems to), however, it will not load 3D Mark. It begins the startup scan, but never finishes. I wanted to run 3D Mark to make sure that there are not driver conflicts.

I also have a weird glitch in Oblivion. If I try to enable HDR, the game tells me that I cannot enable both HDR and AA, which I know this card can do. It seems that my computer can't get the card's information. It can't read the specs or temp of the card in programs like PCWizard 07 either.

I'm kind of lost on what to do next. I tried reinstalling drivers, but to no avail. Does this sound like a driver conflict? What should I do to make sure there are no old nVidia display drivers lurking around.
Anyone who has ever run oblivion knows you have to force HDR because the game itself wont allow it. OK you got me here, since running 3D06 is causing a few problems, then maybe he will have to figure that one out, tho I dont think hes going to get alot of game play out of it. So you linked to 2 owners, three thrreads. And guess what? I still havnt seen anyone trying to sue ATI for their drivers. And man, the cards been out for what? 8 whole days now, what a disgrace to ATI. Youre slamming the owner of the card, telling him how it operates, and at the same time including 2 posts from him, both of which deals with Vista64. Now weve all heard jeeeest a leeeel tiny bit about Vista and its gaming capabilities, now just imagine Vista 64.. I was trying to understand why you posted that no one that owned the cards liked them when that person was arguing to you about how much he liked it. Was this A youre going to hate that card even if you own it, run it, whether you like it or not post from you? Im sorry, I HATE correcting people on here, but I was wondering what youre up to. I dont want bad vibes or whatever from this post to you, but youve stretched a few things, so much so at first I couldnt figure out what you were saying. Let the owner of the card at least speak for the card in this thread ok?
May 22, 2007 12:03:56 PM

OK John. :wink:
But honestly John, look at this thread!
No one recommended the HD2900XT over the 8800GTS but as you can see anyone who sent a reply, recommended the 8800GTS over the HD2900XT.
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2007 12:18:25 PM

Jusomdude gave a fair and honest appraisel of the 2 cards, thats all good. He didnt slam the nVidia choice at all. Als to the OP, and you, by the time you receive this card, unless you buy it at eh brick and mortars, (which I dont recomend) ATI will have newer and better drivers out, for even better performance/compatibility. Id just like to hear what an owner of these cards actually thinks about them, the performance AND the issues , be it heat, noise, or compatibility. These are things thare good to know for anyone not owning either card, but considering a new purchase of one of them. There shouldnt be a condemnation/condescending attitude towards the XT, til the jury's out, and it isnt yet, by a long shot. Unless we hear whats going on with these cards from the actual owners/users then all we have to go on is something that was written 2 weeks ago, and already at least 1 driver update behind.
May 22, 2007 12:39:43 PM

the card isnt as hot as the gtx for shure. Its a little flakey on the drivers but fast on source games wow is also better than my 8800gtx. Give it a month ati allways comes throug with drivers and fyi the 8800 series drivers blew for months after launch. also the r600 has dx10 from the ground up and hdmi with audio. And yes i own one. http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/790
May 22, 2007 12:43:39 PM

Rob?
Anonymous
May 22, 2007 12:51:33 PM

yes it's way better then your imaginary 8800GTX. you don't need a heater in your room anymore, you need more power to overlclock it and cool it with liquid nitrogen to match gtx which is air cooled plus most of your time passes by trying to launch a game instead of playing it. it's damm superior directx 10 card that it doesn't run dirextx 10 demo. all you need is just sit back another 6 months waiting for drivers hoping to play games and dreaming of beating nvidia then. by then nvidia will have 8900 series cards. so your dream won't finish but will keep on going.
May 22, 2007 12:54:20 PM

Alright I have to come in AMD's defense here on the HD 2900XT, I originally started out with a Nvidia 6800 LE when it was first released. I upgraded that to a X1900XT which everyone said ran "hot as a nuclear reactor". It was crap. The stop blower ran better than that foolish accelero product that came out which was for noobs because it blew all the hot air into the case. Yeah sure it gets hot but if you aren't stupid then you can remedy the problem. Use ATI Tray Tools to load the fan speed up if you don't want to overclock this will take care of the problem. Soon this issue will be solved with the HD2900XT and you can use that program or a similar program to overclock the card and keep it cool. I have my x1900xt overclocked to xtx speeds and running stock fan and it is 40C idle and no hotter than 55C high end 3d gaming which all in all isn't that bad considering how hot this thing will get under stock settings. I believe the fan doesn't rev till like 80/90C which is crazy. I am sure that the HD2900XT is the same type of animal. Give AMD a break guys. Sure they are lagging behind the competition however I don't think people flamed INTEL as bad when they were down and they were down for 3 years. Give AMD a chance. Seems that everyone is too over excited and can't wait for the stuff to come out. The high end cards that are out right now smoke anything on the market as far as games and the HD2900XT is no exception. Hell the x1900 series still owns so wait until new cards are released from AMD and Nvidia and it'll be all good.
May 22, 2007 12:58:26 PM

Quote:
the card isnt as hot as the gtx for shure. Its a little flakey on the drivers but fast on source games wow is also better than my 8800gtx. Give it a month ati allways comes throug with drivers and fyi the 8800 series drivers blew for months after launch. also the r600 has dx10 from the ground up and hdmi with audio. And yes i own one. http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/790
Actually, every website that has reviewed the HD 2900XT has said that it consumes more power than the 8800GTX, meaning it also puts out more heat. I'm sure the HD 2900XT will be better with new drivers, but that won't make it run any cooler. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2007 1:05:57 PM

I read somewhere that the 2D to 3D switchover was now hardware based, but somehow, the software was screwy with it, causing the fan to run alot more. That wont cool it down but maybe quiet it down a lil :roll:
Anonymous
May 22, 2007 1:15:51 PM

i agree with you give AMD a chance. but all these ignorant people here that still say i 2900xt will beat nvidia one day are nutts. they can't accept that it didn't give the performence that AMD made us believe. we should start looking for R700 or R650.
May 22, 2007 1:23:56 PM

I`m gonna make it right for you!
Quote:
The card isn't as hot as the Sun for sure. It's Very $hity on the drivers and Slow on source games, it's much worst than my 8800GTX. Give it a year or two and maybe ATI come through with drivers and compete with the 8800GTS. Also the R600 suppose to has DX10 from the ground up and HDMI with audio. And shame i own one.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that's better!
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2007 1:29:07 PM

The 2900XT wont beat the GTX, and who knows anything about DX10? I agree with you, the XT wont beat it, but it is an option for some. I just dont want to spend 550 for one tho. If the XTX had come out and beat the GTX, and both cards were 550, I wouldnt buy either card at that price. The 300 to 400 is my range, and theres only 3 options there. Im waiting for the DX10 games to come out, and I mean from ground up games, not these addons we see out now. I hate transitions, waiting and waiting. As for DX9 I have that covered
May 22, 2007 1:34:45 PM

Quote:
The card isn't as hot as the Sun for sure. It's Very $hity on the drivers and Slow on source games, it's much worst than my 8800GTX. Give it a year or two and maybe ATI come through with drivers and compete with the 8800GTS. Also the R600 suppose to has DX10 from the ground up and HDMI with audio. And shame i own one.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that's better!That's a little much; the HD 2900XT isn't that bad.
May 22, 2007 1:39:56 PM

Nah!
Just J-O-C-K-I-N-G! :tongue:
May 22, 2007 3:08:02 PM

The GTX is much sexier than the 2900 XT. 8)
May 22, 2007 3:53:53 PM

Just once i wanna see a post that is honest!
Sometimes someone will post questions about the card they have
and ask if anyone can help with the problem.
Then other members will start bashing them because of their choice
instead of helping if they know what the problem might be.
If you don't know the answer, keep your trap closed!
This card hasn't been out very long and there aren't alot of people
who have purchased it yet.
I'm sure more problems will surface, and they will be dealt with.
Since some of these people are running Vista (which is in itself newish)
there will be more problems.
Since there are probably no two computers that are exactly the same
or kept up to date the same.
Everyone will have some quirks that only a few others will know about.
But it seems that alot of people who don't own the hardware in question
have alot to say about how they perform.
I'm not a fanboy for either company! I have three computers,one laptop
and two of the three run Nvidia cards while the other runs ATI.
The laptop has built in Radeon (dell).
I also have extra old cards that i don't use anymore 1 nvidia,1 ATI 9200
or somthing and even an old VooDoo card.
My wifes shop computer still runs on a VooDoo card!
But if we're just gonna be blindly led by the results on the net from some test performed on a super computer that very few of us could afford.
And take advice from people that don't even own the card, but will bash it
before any new drivers or DX10 results are available.
Then we really don't need any of this information to decide what to get.
Go for the prettiest box design!
All i'm asking for is honest answers from qualified persons who are interested in better quality for lower prices.
If i spend my money for either card, i want to know it will do what i want it to do.
And if you believe all the benchmarks you read you're an idiot!
But then again, if you check them out you'll see that some games run better on a single card than on a crossfire or SLI setup.
If that's your game of choice, why pay for 2 cards?
Let's not wave corporate flags and post answers about products we have read some stuff about.
Let's be helpful to a gamer in need! :wink:
Anonymous
May 22, 2007 4:20:24 PM

well it doesn't beat GTS either. so i guess there no logic of keeping it at 430$
Anonymous
May 22, 2007 4:24:15 PM

what time do you live in VooDoo card. you my friend don't know about gaming then. but i do like you comments that people start bashing
May 22, 2007 4:39:26 PM

Quote:

Plus, it looks to me as if it has been designed specifically for DX10 whereas the 8800GTX looks more similar to a DX9 card. The war has barely even started yet.
Anonymous
May 22, 2007 4:58:19 PM

yes thats why it can't run directx 10 games. maybe your mistaken it was designed for 11 bull crap. i say it again you got any proof. it might look good on paper according to you but games don't run on paper. can you please point out some facts why you think it was designed for directx 10. i would really like to know.
May 22, 2007 5:14:32 PM

Double post - sorry!
May 22, 2007 5:19:33 PM

Quote:
yes thats why it can't run directx 10 games. maybe your mistaken it was designed for 11 bull crap. i say it again you got any proof. it might look good on paper according to you but games don't run on paper. can you please point out some facts why you think it was designed for directx 10. i would really like to know.

I have to say, firstly that was one of the worst uses of Ad Hominem ever.

Secondly a couple of pointers for you:

1) All sentances begin with capital letters, with no exceptions.

2) When you used the word "your" in the phrase "maybe your mistaken" you're actually meaning the word (Not sure if "word" is even the correct use of lexis there, anyone care to enlighten me?) "You're". "You're" is actually the 2 words, "you" and "are". The apostrophe is there to show the missing letters/joining of the two words.

Now i get onto the real substance of the arguement. You implied in your arguement that the HD2900XT cannot run DX10 games, could you please enlighten me unto what DX10 engines/games have been released for test? As far as i knew DX10 isn't even out yet (Then again, i could be wrong on this point).

If you really want to know about why i "believe" (That means it's my opinion, not fact) that the HD2900XT is better equipped to cope with DX10 just look at the specs on paper (you even said yourself that the HD2900XT has more advanced specs on paper). The advanced functions built into the card currently aren't utilized under DX9 so we will have to wait for DX10 to be available to judge.

There's not even any point judging this war yet. As i said earlier - it has barely even started.
Anonymous
May 22, 2007 6:07:35 PM

oh first of all i didn't know i was talking to english professor lol you moron. this ain't a english exam. Second try lost planet demo. rest i don't have to bother about knucklehead like you who still thinks that 2900xt is awsome. now we wait for another 6 months for drivers. another excuse to keep up the hype about R600. if it ain't directx 9 then oh wait it's is directx 10 card wow it will awsome in that. bull crap.
May 22, 2007 7:12:30 PM

I still have the VooDoo card because it still works!
It's good enough for the computer my wife uses at her shop.
The other one i don't use anymore, but keep because it will still work.
In their time VooDoo was a very good card. And as i started out playing
Unreal Tournament and the engine for the game was pretty much built
around the VooDoo cards glide renderer it was the best choice for me.
Now i guess i should retaliate and tell you that a youngster like you don't know half as much as i do about gaming. but i'm above that kind of petty crap. :wink:
May 22, 2007 7:41:46 PM

Quote:

Plus, it looks to me as if it has been designed specifically for DX10 whereas the 8800GTX looks more similar to a DX9 card. The war has barely even started yet.Based on what? Did ATI tell you this? The 8800GTX may end up sucking in Direct X10, but at this point there has been no evidence to showing how good or bad it is.
May 22, 2007 7:42:56 PM

Remember that 8800 IS designed for DirectX10 TOO! :roll:
Quote:
I have to say, firstly that was one of the worst uses of Ad Hominem ever.

Hey man.
You know that English is not the native language for at least 50% of TG forumz's users!(Including me! :wink: )
May 22, 2007 8:01:42 PM

i'm pro ati at the moment just because the 2900xt is cheaper than the 8800gts here, so i see no reason not to buy a 2900 card here :wink: (and the gtx is 200€ more expensive = ripoff)

Quote:

Hey man.
You know that English is not the native language for at least 50% of TG forumz's users!(Including me! :wink: )

i do agree on this though
English is only my fourth language, i appreciate remarks on my spelling as long as they are polite :) 
!