8800GTS 640 vs HD 2900XT

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
I'd say 8800GTS 640. For HD2900XT, I think you should have a big fan in your case since it has high temp when operate at full load.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
...you should have a big fan in your case...
AND a Big headphone/speaker cause you can't hear your games & of course a Nuclear Reactor! :roll:

What about just creating your own micro-sun using Nuclear Fusion? It'll probably produce less heat than the HD2900XT too!

Anyway, i'd rather have the HD2900XT as i suspect it'll stomp all over the 8800 series in DX10.

jusomdude

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
I havn't had any problems with heat on the 2900xt. I havn't got any software to check the gpu temps but if the hardware is made to sustain what it puts off then there's nothing to worry about. All the heat gets exhausted out the back of the card and outside your case. Havn't noticed any higher temps on other hardware. The 2900 is actually more quite than my old card.

@OP: I'd buy whichever is more convenient for you. If you're building a system from scratch then convenience doesn't matter that much since you won't have to worry about reformatting/reinstalling or anything. If you're just buying a new video card for an already existing computer with a specific video card brand chipset then I'd say buy the brand that matches your chipset unless you don't mind reformatting and reinstalling everything. Since the cards have similar performance it doesn't matter that much other than a slight price difference.

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Anyway, i'd rather have the HD2900XT as i suspect it'll stomp all over the 8800 series in DX10.
We will see about that! 8)
...I havn't had any problems with heat on the 2900xt. I havn't got any software to check the gpu temps but if the hardware is made to sustain what it puts off then there's nothing to worry about.
You don't need any software to check your card's temps.
Just open your case & look at the card when you are playing, you can see it glows from it's red PCB to yellow & white!(Just don't touch it if you like your hands!)

jusomdude

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
...I havn't had any problems with heat on the 2900xt. I havn't got any software to check the gpu temps but if the hardware is made to sustain what it puts off then there's nothing to worry about.
Just open your case & look at the card when you are playing, you can see it glows from it's red PCB to yellow & white!(Just don't touch it if you like your hands!)[/quote]

Do you have the 2900xt?

locherbread

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Just open your case & look at the card when you are playing, you can see it glows from it's red PCB to yellow & white!(Just don't touch it if you like your hands!)

Do you have the 2900xt?[/quote]

Of course he doesn't, he's flying high, his Nvidia colours for all to see ;-)

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I just got the 8800 GTS 640mb over the HD2900XT. the performance is about the same, the 8800 wins the most tho. I have an ATI and an Nvidia card in my systems and I,m more of an ATI fanboy but I really prefer the Nvidia drivers, I never have problems with them. and the ATI drivers give me problems ever so often. so that's why I went with Nvidia and would recommend it to others

chief5286

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
As has been said, the price isn't exactly the same. You can get a GTS 640 for about $370 after mirb; I think that's the cheapest I've seen.

Another factor to consider is whether you will use the comp only for gaming or not. The HD playback and HDMI of the 2900XT might be enough to equalize the price if you're going to use your pc for that.

Just something else to consider.

Candyman45

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Not sure which is better since I never tried the ATI brand but I was able to find an EVGA 8800GTS 640MB for $349 with free shipping from www.buy.com. Also it has a mail in rebate for $30 knocking total down to $319. I love my 8800 since it kicks ass on all the games I play and looking forward to playing COD4 and Crysis on DX10.

kreacher

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
IMO when the dust settles over DX10 (by the end of the year) the 2900XT will perform better than the 8800GTS (not sure by what margin).
Everyone's saying that 2900XT was not intended to compete against the 8800 since its priced lower, I think it was meant to compete but since it was slower they priced it lower.
As for DX10/Vista drivers I think both companies are guilty of poor drivers and the situation should improve soon (Halo 2 releases 22nd May and Shadowrun 29th may).
Noise is not much of an issue with me but heat is so I'll probably go for a 8800GTS (and hope that nVidia can squeeze out a lot more performance from its drivers).

Candyman45

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I pretty much agree that the drivers right now is not mature and we are mostly guessing which would be better under DX10 under the current drivers for Vista. Heck Vista itself is still new and need more refinement, which maybe will come like SP1 and SP2 of WinXP.
Just happy my 880GTS works like a charm under current NVidia drivers. Hope they continue to work on improving their drivers.

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
AND a Big headphone/speaker cause you can't hear your games & of course a Nuclear Reactor!

What about just creating your own micro-sun using Nuclear Fusion? It'll probably produce less heat than the HD2900XT too!

I think you guys should read thic article first before make laugh of somebody. Cause I tried to gave the information based on what I've read on the website.

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=138725
"the Radeon HD 2900 XT consumes considerably more power, produces more HEAT, and generates more noise as well."

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
The real fact is you can go out and buy the HD2900XT(it's your money after all :wink: ),OK, but then you have to sit on your chair and wait for AMD/ATI to release a better driver to improve your performance and you can pray at night to god for beating the 8800Series in DirectX10. :roll:
Go to the Graphics Cards main page & you can see lots of thread of HD2900XT's owner about bad performance of HD2900XT.
and i don't see any above reply that recommended the HD2900XT! :roll:

We will see about that! 8)
Go to the Graphics Cards main page & you can see lots of thread of HD2900XT's owner about bad performance of HD2900XT.
and i don't see any above reply that recommended the HD2900XT!

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
The 8800gts 640 has most of the bugs worked out while the X2900XT will be ironing out its issues for awhile yet.Bothe offer very nice performance in and out of DX10 mode,and bothe show similar benchmarks.So I guess the only real deciding factor is price and personal opinion.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

Here are some of people's crying! :roll:
Link1
Link2
Link3
I`m not gonna mess with you John, cause you are a 100% ATI FanBoy. :wink:
OK, I guess you listen to robslin then , but heres the complaints
Has anyone else noticed performance of the 2900xt in vista 64 is severly lacking? My previous generation ati card is outperforming it. Just curious to know if it's just my system or if others are experiencing the same thing.
I guess if youre using Vista 64 then you may have some problems.
I just got a 2900xt today and for some reason I'm getting about 15-25 less fps with it that my old x1800xt in vista 64 ultimate and I have no clue why. when I first hooked up the 2900 I only plugged in 2x3 into the 8 pin slot cause I didn't know it needed two. In vista I got some warning message that said my psu might not be able to support my card and said the clock frequencies had been reduced. After that I turned off the computer and plugged in another 2x3 and didn't get the message again but I'm still gettin horrible frame rates in oblivion. Did vista turn the frequencies on my card down until I can somehow turn them back up? BTW it's reporting in the catalyst hardware information that the gpu clock speed is 507 and the memory clock speed is 514 and I know those should be higher caues those are lower than the x1800xt. Anyone know what's going on here
This is by the same poster, jusomedude, the one I referred to earlier, as hes arguing with you about the performance of the card he owns.... And finally your last link
My old system had a 6800GT SLI setup. I uninstalled the old nVidia drivers and replaced the cards with a 2900XT. I then installed the newest radeon drivers and updated my motherboard drivers (which is a nVidia nForce 4 SLI). I think that the card runs fine in games (it seems to), however, it will not load 3D Mark. It begins the startup scan, but never finishes. I wanted to run 3D Mark to make sure that there are not driver conflicts.

I also have a weird glitch in Oblivion. If I try to enable HDR, the game tells me that I cannot enable both HDR and AA, which I know this card can do. It seems that my computer can't get the card's information. It can't read the specs or temp of the card in programs like PCWizard 07 either.

I'm kind of lost on what to do next. I tried reinstalling drivers, but to no avail. Does this sound like a driver conflict? What should I do to make sure there are no old nVidia display drivers lurking around.
Anyone who has ever run oblivion knows you have to force HDR because the game itself wont allow it. OK you got me here, since running 3D06 is causing a few problems, then maybe he will have to figure that one out, tho I dont think hes going to get alot of game play out of it. So you linked to 2 owners, three thrreads. And guess what? I still havnt seen anyone trying to sue ATI for their drivers. And man, the cards been out for what? 8 whole days now, what a disgrace to ATI. Youre slamming the owner of the card, telling him how it operates, and at the same time including 2 posts from him, both of which deals with Vista64. Now weve all heard jeeeest a leeeel tiny bit about Vista and its gaming capabilities, now just imagine Vista 64.. I was trying to understand why you posted that no one that owned the cards liked them when that person was arguing to you about how much he liked it. Was this A youre going to hate that card even if you own it, run it, whether you like it or not post from you? Im sorry, I HATE correcting people on here, but I was wondering what youre up to. I dont want bad vibes or whatever from this post to you, but youve stretched a few things, so much so at first I couldnt figure out what you were saying. Let the owner of the card at least speak for the card in this thread ok?

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
OK John. :wink:
But honestly John, look at this thread!
No one recommended the HD2900XT over the 8800GTS but as you can see anyone who sent a reply, recommended the 8800GTS over the HD2900XT.