Best Linux distribution for my AO532h netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasazn

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hello all!

First of all, I have a netbook in which I dual booted it with Windows 7 Home Premium and Ubuntu 11.10.

Netbook model: Acer Aspire One AO532h

The problem now is that my netbook is experiencing a major slowdown or 'laggingness' when I am in the Ubuntu environment. I find Ubuntu's UI very unresponsive and slow and thus I hated it. :pfff: Windows 7 HP on the other hand works flawlessly, smooth and all. I want to experience Linux as I wanted to learn how to code applicatons and cook my own ROMs for my Android Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100.

Can you guys recommend me a really lightweight Linux distribution but has to have at least a decent UI. Your help is greatly appreciated!

:D

Solution

Just for curiosity I would encourage to try different distros and let us know the output, like that we will know for sure what kind of distro works in your hardware (netbook) and will definitely take away some stigma on some desktop environment, I still thinking that "lightweight" does not matter if your graphics are not supported correctly, see, the thing is we can just recommend, for example in my modest rig (six core/nvidia/8 gb) neither unity, gnome3 break a sweat nor they misbehave, although I use arch, but in my old pc (p4/intel/1gb) is barely running arch/lxde due to the graphics driver.

Please let us know what...

rjq

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
It sounds more like a graphics card capabilities problem in linux (probably the driver for the intel) have you tried in 2d mode? at the login change the mode, also installing lxed in top of ubuntu could be a solution before you reinstall.

kasazn

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

Yup, I've tried 2D mode but even Windows 7's UI is much more fluid and lag free compared to that of Ubuntu. :(

rjq

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Be sure that your system is using the correct driver (intel in your case if I am not mistaken) and not the generic vesa, (detailed info is in the Ubuntu documentation)
For a lighter distro I would recommend Arch, is quite straight forward and you can install minimal required software for a light system like LXED or XFCE, although you would have to "sacrifice" eye-candy for performance, Bear in mind that if the case is a graphic driver incompatibility, it would be difficult to find the "correct" distro since more of them use the same drivers and sometimes same versions.
There is also Debian, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Puppy, (I have use these before and they were good), Crunchbang is a very popular one, among others in the lightweight level.

Edit: forgot to mention Ubuntu Netbook Edition and Leeenux.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Ubuntu 11.xx is garbage if you ask me. There's been some serious bugs/driver issues, and Unity just disgusts me. Unity is quite possibly your problem, along with weak graphics.

I think if you're newish to Linux, Arch would be absolute suicide.

Try a lighter-weight distribution. Anything with a lightweight desktop environment such as LXDE, XFCE, or even probably Gnome2 will do. As for the distribution itself, try:

Debian
Puppy
Knoppix
antiX
Crunchbang

Any of these should suit your needs, and any desktop environment is capable of looking great if you're willing to do some tweaking. I'm quite a fan of LXDE personally.

Good luck.

kasazn

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks for the input people, and I have to agree with Pyroflea that the Unity UI is a complete garbage. I will try out the rest of the distributions as mentioned.

Ubuntu no more!

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Haha, what makes you think GNOME 3 is much better in terms of bloat than Unity?

(Writing this because if you tell someone to install Fedora, they almost will invaribly install the default GNOME 3 version)

On the other hand if he was to install XFCE/LXDE Fedora...

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

On low resources Fedora kicks back to lower usage mode. Sort of a Gnome 3 light. I run Fedora 15 on a VM in the reduced mode with no problems whatsoever.

Besides the window manager you use is really a separate issue from which distribution you use.

http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce

rjq

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

Just for curiosity I would encourage to try different distros and let us know the output, like that we will know for sure what kind of distro works in your hardware (netbook) and will definitely take away some stigma on some desktop environment, I still thinking that "lightweight" does not matter if your graphics are not supported correctly, see, the thing is we can just recommend, for example in my modest rig (six core/nvidia/8 gb) neither unity, gnome3 break a sweat nor they misbehave, although I use arch, but in my old pc (p4/intel/1gb) is barely running arch/lxde due to the graphics driver.

Please let us know what actually worked, more people would find it useful. ;)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.