Pictures in email

May 22, 2005 9:10:02 PM

When I get email that's supposed to have a picture in it, http I guess, the
picture is replaced by a little red x. What do I do to have the pictures show
up automatically. Right now I can't make them show up at all. Thanks
--
Bill

More about : pictures email

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:21:43 PM

How many kilobytes in such a message?

If the mail was sent from Outlook using Outlook's RTF format then Outlook
Express will never find the attachment. Outlook Express does not understand
Outlook's RTF format. Ask the Outlook user to please use Plain Text,
especially when sending attachments.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I get email that's supposed to have a picture in it, http I guess,
> the
> picture is replaced by a little red x. What do I do to have the pictures
> show
> up automatically. Right now I can't make them show up at all. Thanks
> --
> Bill
May 22, 2005 11:21:44 PM

The messages are small ~5 KB and likely do not originate in Outlook. Here's a
sample that not only doesn't have the images, also doesn't have the red x. I
guess the framed red x shows up more from websites than email. The site
obviously intended to put a picture in a frame that's drawn but the only
thing in it is a red x.

Then from email, I get these URLs instead of the picture that's supposed to
be there. Sorry for confusing the two with prior post.

Subject: Visit Club Card Savings Center!

<http://shopgroceries.safeway.com/a/hBB3E0iANrRFvAUmekwA...
09> clubcard
<http://shopgroceries.safeway.com/a/hBB3E0iANrRFvAUmekwA...
=94109> central * menu
Bill

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> How many kilobytes in such a message?
>
> If the mail was sent from Outlook using Outlook's RTF format then Outlook
> Express will never find the attachment. Outlook Express does not understand
> Outlook's RTF format. Ask the Outlook user to please use Plain Text,
> especially when sending attachments.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
>

> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I get email that's supposed to have a picture in it, http I guess,
> > the
> > picture is replaced by a little red x. What do I do to have the pictures
> > show
> > up automatically. Right now I can't make them show up at all. Thanks
> > --
> > Bill

May 23, 2005 12:42:01 AM

Tools | Options | Security
Uncheck the option to block images and other external HTML content.

--

> The messages are small ~5 KB and likely do not originate in Outlook.
> Here's a
> sample that not only doesn't have the images, also doesn't have the red x.
> guess the framed red x shows up more from websites than email. The site
> obviously intended to put a picture in a frame that's drawn but the only
> thing in it is a red x.
>
> Then from email, I get these URLs instead of the picture that's supposed
> be there. Sorry for confusing the two with prior post.
>

> Subject: Visit Club Card Savings Center!
>
> <http://shopgroceries.safeway.com/a/hBB3E0iANrRFvAUmekwA...
> 09> clubcard
> <http://shopgroceries.safeway.com/a/hBB3E0iANrRFvAUmekwA...
> =94109> central * menu
> Bill
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
>
>> How many kilobytes in such a message?
>>
>> If the mail was sent from Outlook using Outlook's RTF format then Outlook
>> Express will never find the attachment. Outlook Express does not
>> understand
>> Outlook's RTF format. Ask the Outlook user to please use Plain Text,
>> especially when sending attachments.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>>

>> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I get email that's supposed to have a picture in it, http I guess,
>> > the
>> > picture is replaced by a little red x. What do I do to have the
>> > pictures
>> > show
>> > up automatically. Right now I can't make them show up at all. Thanks
>> > --
>> > Bill

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 4:38:17 PM

DO YOU NOT JUST GO TO BOTTOM OF PAGE AND CLICK DISPLAY EXTERNAL IMAGES?
--
thanx

"Bill" wrote:

> The messages are small ~5 KB and likely do not originate in Outlook. Here's a
> sample that not only doesn't have the images, also doesn't have the red x. I
> guess the framed red x shows up more from websites than email. The site
> obviously intended to put a picture in a frame that's drawn but the only
> thing in it is a red x.
>
> Then from email, I get these URLs instead of the picture that's supposed to
> be there. Sorry for confusing the two with prior post.
>

> Subject: Visit Club Card Savings Center!
>
> <http://shopgroceries.safeway.com/a/hBB3E0iANrRFvAUmekwA...
> 09> clubcard
> <http://shopgroceries.safeway.com/a/hBB3E0iANrRFvAUmekwA...
> =94109> central * menu
> Bill
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
>
> > How many kilobytes in such a message?
> >
> > If the mail was sent from Outlook using Outlook's RTF format then Outlook
> > Express will never find the attachment. Outlook Express does not understand
> > Outlook's RTF format. Ask the Outlook user to please use Plain Text,
> > especially when sending attachments.
> >
> > --
> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> > http://www.fjsmjs.com
> > Protect your PC
> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
> >

> > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I get email that's supposed to have a picture in it, http I guess,
> > > the
> > > picture is replaced by a little red x. What do I do to have the pictures
> > > show
> > > up automatically. Right now I can't make them show up at all. Thanks
> > > --
> > > Bill

May 24, 2005 6:02:28 PM

What program are you using to read the email? You may have to change the
security settings if you are using Outlook. Otherwise it won't download
images.

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I get email that's supposed to have a picture in it, http I guess,
> the
> picture is replaced by a little red x. What do I do to have the pictures
> show
> up automatically. Right now I can't make them show up at all. Thanks
> --
> Bill
May 25, 2005 12:23:02 AM

The box for "block im ages and other external HTML content" has been
unchecked all along. Some picture get through, just not all of them. I get
the asme emails sometimes at work and win98 Outlook displays eerything fine.
Sometimes I forward these home and the images are URLs instead. Maybe
there's something wrong with the forwarding process. Thanks for the help..
Bill
--
Bill

"Greg" wrote:

> What program are you using to read the email? You may have to change the
> security settings if you are using Outlook. Otherwise it won't download
> images.
>

> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I get email that's supposed to have a picture in it, http I guess,
> > the
> > picture is replaced by a little red x. What do I do to have the pictures
> > show
> > up automatically. Right now I can't make them show up at all. Thanks
> > --
> > Bill

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:01:12 AM

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I get email that's supposed to have a picture in it, http I guess,
> the
> picture is replaced by a little red x. What do I do to have the pictures
> show
> up automatically. Right now I can't make them show up at all. Thanks
> --
> Bill
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:03:02 AM

if it's spam you're reading I'd ignore it and delete the messages
immediately.

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The messages are small ~5 KB and likely do not originate in Outlook.
> Here's a
> sample that not only doesn't have the images, also doesn't have the red x.
> guess the framed red x shows up more from websites than email. The site
> obviously intended to put a picture in a frame that's drawn but the only
> thing in it is a red x.
>
> Then from email, I get these URLs instead of the picture that's supposed
> be there. Sorry for confusing the two with prior post.
>

> Subject: Visit Club Card Savings Center!
>
> <http://shopgroceries.safeway.com/a/hBB3E0iANrRFvAUmekwA...
> 09> clubcard
> <http://shopgroceries.safeway.com/a/hBB3E0iANrRFvAUmekwA...
> =94109> central * menu
> Bill
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
>
>> How many kilobytes in such a message?
>>
>> If the mail was sent from Outlook using Outlook's RTF format then Outlook
>> Express will never find the attachment. Outlook Express does not
>> understand
>> Outlook's RTF format. Ask the Outlook user to please use Plain Text,
>> especially when sending attachments.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>>

>> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I get email that's supposed to have a picture in it, http I guess,
>> > the
>> > picture is replaced by a little red x. What do I do to have the
>> > pictures
>> > show
>> > up automatically. Right now I can't make them show up at all. Thanks
>> > --
>> > Bill

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 9:52:04 AM

I have the same problem as bill and followed your instructions to uncheck
option to unblock images and other external HTML, but cannot find this
option. When selecting TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/SECURITY I get a page with 4
Icons for Internet, Intranet,etc. Clicking Custom does not show the option
you mention. Where am I going wrong?
Thanks.
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> Tools | Options | Security
> Uncheck the option to block images and other external HTML content.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
>

> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The messages are small ~5 KB and likely do not originate in Outlook.
> > Here's a
> > sample that not only doesn't have the images, also doesn't have the red x.
> > guess the framed red x shows up more from websites than email. The site
> > obviously intended to put a picture in a frame that's drawn but the only
> > thing in it is a red x.
> >
> > Then from email, I get these URLs instead of the picture that's supposed
> > be there. Sorry for confusing the two with prior post.
> >

> > Subject: Visit Club Card Savings Center!
> >
> > <http://shopgroceries.safeway.com/a/hBB3E0iANrRFvAUmekwA...
> > 09> clubcard
> > <http://shopgroceries.safeway.com/a/hBB3E0iANrRFvAUmekwA...
> > =94109> central * menu
> > Bill
> >

> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
> >
> >> How many kilobytes in such a message?
> >>
> >> If the mail was sent from Outlook using Outlook's RTF format then Outlook
> >> Express will never find the attachment. Outlook Express does not
> >> understand
> >> Outlook's RTF format. Ask the Outlook user to please use Plain Text,
> >> especially when sending attachments.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> >> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> >> Protect your PC
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
> >>

> >> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:48:00 PM

JohnFish,
Open OE> TOOLS> Options> Security tab> and the two (2) options that Frank
Saunders mention will be there. Also check the Privacy tab, and make sure
that Read Messages in Plain Text is not selected.
--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Johnfish" <Johnfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have the same problem as bill and followed your instructions to uncheck
option to unblock images and other external HTML, but cannot find this
option. When selecting TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/SECURITY I get a page with 4
Icons for Internet, Intranet,etc. Clicking Custom does not show the option
you mention. Where am I going wrong?
Thanks.
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:33:14 AM

My mistake. I was not in Outlook Express when trying. However, when following
the right path, I did deselect as per Frank's instruction, but it did not
help. Still getting the little red x in the upper left corner. What else can
be tried?

"RRR_News" wrote:

> JohnFish,
> Open OE> TOOLS> Options> Security tab> and the two (2) options that Frank
> Saunders mention will be there. Also check the Privacy tab, and make sure
> that Read Messages in Plain Text is not selected.
> --
>
> Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
> Rich/rerat
>
> (RRR News) <message rule>
> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

> "Johnfish" <Johnfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem as bill and followed your instructions to uncheck
> option to unblock images and other external HTML, but cannot find this
> option. When selecting TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/SECURITY I get a page with 4
> Icons for Internet, Intranet,etc. Clicking Custom does not show the option
> you mention. Where am I going wrong?
> Thanks.
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

June 8, 2005 11:09:34 AM

Hi.. try this... go to Internet Explorer, Security tab... click on custom
level.. change it to medium.. click ok! Rainy
> My mistake. I was not in Outlook Express when trying. However, when
> following
> the right path, I did deselect as per Frank's instruction, but it did not
> help. Still getting the little red x in the upper left corner. What else
> can
> be tried?
>
> "RRR_News" wrote:
>

>> JohnFish,
>> Open OE> TOOLS> Options> Security tab> and the two (2) options that Frank
>> Saunders mention will be there. Also check the Privacy tab, and make sure
>> that Read Messages in Plain Text is not selected.
>> --
>>
>> Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
>> Rich/rerat
>>
>> (RRR News) <message rule>
>> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>>

>> "Johnfish" <Johnfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have the same problem as bill and followed your instructions to uncheck
>> option to unblock images and other external HTML, but cannot find this
>> option. When selecting TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/SECURITY I get a page with
>> 4
>> Icons for Internet, Intranet,etc. Clicking Custom does not show the
>> option
>> you mention. Where am I going wrong?
>> Thanks.
>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:09:35 AM

Thanks Rainy, but it was already set to medium.

"Rainy" wrote:

> Hi.. try this... go to Internet Explorer, Security tab... click on custom
> level.. change it to medium.. click ok! Rainy
> "Johnfish" <Johnfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My mistake. I was not in Outlook Express when trying. However, when
> > following
> > the right path, I did deselect as per Frank's instruction, but it did not
> > help. Still getting the little red x in the upper left corner. What else
> > can
> > be tried?
> >
> > "RRR_News" wrote:
> >

> >> JohnFish,
> >> Open OE> TOOLS> Options> Security tab> and the two (2) options that Frank
> >> Saunders mention will be there. Also check the Privacy tab, and make sure
> >> that Read Messages in Plain Text is not selected.
> >> --
> >>
> >> Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
> >> Rich/rerat
> >>
> >> (RRR News) <message rule>
> >> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
> >>

> >> "Johnfish" <Johnfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I have the same problem as bill and followed your instructions to uncheck
> >> option to unblock images and other external HTML, but cannot find this
> >> option. When selecting TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/SECURITY I get a page with
> >> 4
> >> Icons for Internet, Intranet,etc. Clicking Custom does not show the
> >> option
> >> you mention. Where am I going wrong?
> >> Thanks.
> >> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

June 8, 2005 11:47:46 AM

by any chance do you use Zone alarm?? in email protection there is a
setting which stops attachments.. I have my basic mailsafe settings on the
off setting.. maybe this is the problem.. I love graphics and understand
that by doing this you put yourself at risk.. but I have a great Antivirus
and I never open attachmjents unless it is expected.. and none from
strangers.. or spammers.. Rainy
> Thanks Rainy, but it was already set to medium.
>
> "Rainy" wrote:
>
>> Hi.. try this... go to Internet Explorer, Security tab... click on custom
>> level.. change it to medium.. click ok! Rainy
>> "Johnfish" <Johnfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My mistake. I was not in Outlook Express when trying. However, when
>> > following
>> > the right path, I did deselect as per Frank's instruction, but it did
>> > not
>> > help. Still getting the little red x in the upper left corner. What
>> > else
>> > can
>> > be tried?

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 10:16:02 AM

No Rainy, I do not use Zone alarm. I get to view most graphics and photos
emailed to me. It is the occaisional little red x that drives me grazy. I do
a lot of photo work
but only experience this problem once in a while. Some are even .jpgs that
I'm always using with rarely a problem. Has Microsoft ever addressed this
problem? It seems to me that a lot of people are having the same problem.

"Rainy" wrote:

> by any chance do you use Zone alarm?? in email protection there is a
> setting which stops attachments.. I have my basic mailsafe settings on the
> off setting.. maybe this is the problem.. I love graphics and understand
> that by doing this you put yourself at risk.. but I have a great Antivirus
> and I never open attachmjents unless it is expected.. and none from
> strangers.. or spammers.. Rainy
> "Johnfish" <Johnfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Rainy, but it was already set to medium.
> >
> > "Rainy" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi.. try this... go to Internet Explorer, Security tab... click on custom
> >> level.. change it to medium.. click ok! Rainy
> >> "Johnfish" <Johnfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:40:41 PM

Sometimes the problem is on the sender's end, they inserted
a picture that was not available, so just a placeholder is
sent.

some support

wrote in message

instructions to
but cannot find this
OPTIONS/SECURITY I get a page
does not show the

June 9, 2005 7:12:50 PM

Exactly! They inserted the image using html but something is either wrong
with the path (spelling usually), or the image name was saved in the wrong
format! For instance, I usually try and save my images as jpgs.. but
sometimes I'm in a hurry and it gets saved as psp, which does not show up,
even if you use psp as the image ext. ...or they tried to copy and paste to
your email which doesn't work!, You must embed it, either by going to
insert file attachment.. or clicking on that little picture window in rich
text, and browsing to where the image is...

Rainy

news:o eDIKkPbFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

!