Which Temp Do I Pay Attention To?

Averhoeven

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
I'm running Vista 64 and the only temp monitoring program I've found that works so far is SpeedFan 4.32. TAT does something weird where it pops up then disappears forever. Coretemp doesn't work at all.

My temps don't really seem to follow the Tcase and Tjunction norms illustrated in the cooling sticky. I'm wondering whether I'm seeing some bad results here, which numbers I should pay attention to, whether I'm in a safe zone with the temps, etc.

Anyway, these are the max temps I'm getting with SpeedFan after 4 hours of Orthos with the SpeedFan headers.

CPU: 61C
Core 0: 55C
Core 1: 55C

Even at idle Vista (not really idle, but close) I get:
CPU: 38C
Core 0: 34C
Core 1: 31C

System (brand new):
E6600 @ 3.6ghz(1600FSB) with 1.45V (haven't tried dropping the voltage yet, but doubt it will go very far if it does)
Tuniq Tower 120 (my temps seem high for this cooler)
eVGA 680i
Antec P180 Case with fans set on medium
eVGA 8800GTX

I appreciate any help explaining whether I'm seeing some odd temps or not given the minimal difference between the CPU and Core temps. Also, any input on whether they are in a good temp range would be nice as well. Thanks.

bh626pro

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
You are seeing weird temps. The 2 core temps should be 12-15C higher than the CPU temp.

I know on Asus boards, enabling/disabling PECI (sends digital sensor data) affects these readings.

Brendan