Vista Color Management and Devices

Taylormade

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I just upgraded my monitor to the Samsung T220. It comes with calibration software and I've made a .icm profile. I would like to associate it with my new monitor but my monitor is not listed in the "Devices" portion on the 1st page of the Color Management window. Only my printer is listed. How to I add the monitor to the drop down list or why isn't it already listed there?

Thanks!

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
If the monitor is listed as a generic it more or less wont let you.
If a driver for the monitor is available use that.
If not give you ICM a clear name and check the use the settings for my device on the first page and then click add to pull in the profile.

Having been in printing for many years I have found it to works best this way.

Get something with known standard colors and scan it. Preferably on a very high end scanner.
Then generally you can set your monitor through your graphics card.
Monitors are generally faithful to colors.
Setting profiles for monitors is difficult for several reasons including driver updates, users, lighting can all change the appearence.

The printer on the other hand will be your biggest problem.
Depending on what spec you use to set your .ICM will greatly influence the output. For standard printing RGB (with some tweaks) is fine for most
lower end printers. SWOP if you are going for advertising.
Then print the scanned image.

For the most part I find it best to set my monitor somewhere between the
scanned image and the and the final output to get the best representation of the desired finish.

Taylormade

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I have already installed the drivers for the monitor and it is shown correctly in "device manager".

I have already made the ICM and know where it's located. Vista Color Management, however, is not listing any monitor under "Devices".

Again, no monitor is an option on the drop down list under "Devices:" on the 1st page of the Vista color management window. Only 3 printers are listed, my Epson color printer, Microsoft Document writer, and one more "printer".

If no monitor is even listed under devices, I can't use the "Use the settings for my device".