wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
hello everybody, hopefully by monday i will have this problem figured out, anyways, i was wondering if there is a way where i can figure out if my pc can run xp pro 64-bit..
my current pc:
Windows XP home
mobo: asus p5n32-e sli
cpu: q6600
ram: corsair 2 gb xms2
video card: 8500 gt
hard drive: 500 gb seagate
(if you need more info on my pc lemme know)
however, that is going to change, i will be upgrading my ram/mobo/video card (if you need that info also lemme know)
anyways i wanna make sure that i will be able to run xp 64-bit, i have looked around but i cant find the answer,
if anyone can help me out that would be great thanks, also if you need more information please tell me, i need the answer!
thanks in advance

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008

yes to more info im guessing....well since you didnt ask what you need to know iim gonna give it my best shot!
THIS IS WHAT MY PC WILL BE AT THE TIME I GET XP PRO 64-bit:
cpu: intel quad-core (2.4 x 4) or another name for it: q6600
mobo: GIGABYTE ep45-ud3p
ram: G-Skill Pi Black (4gb)
video card: evga gtx 260
hard drive1: 500 gb i think its seagate, not sure i have had it for a year now (memory aint so gooood)
hard drive 2: 1 TB not sure on the manufacture yet.....
keyboard: some HP USB multimedia Keyboard from walmart
mouse: your standard mircrosoft optical mouse
monitor: acer 19" widescreen, not sure why you need this info but better to be safe then sorry!
wireless card: i have a linksys one and a giga-byte one (i use one sometimes, then the other, switch between the two)
some software i use:
Spybot search and destroy
avg FREE
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
AD-AWARE Pro
cpu-z, gpu-z
rivatuner
itunes, mozilla, some stuff from NVIDIA Corporation
divx player
STEAM, 50% of my games i buy are through steam.
some nero program that came with my pc
i think thats about it...

and if your yes was to that i can run xp pro 64-bit and i did all this typing for nothing then im stupid tehe

Short answer - Yes, the PC will run XP64.

Longer answer - But it's likely that you'll have problems with some of your software. Some (for example AVG) will be fine, but you may need to get a 64-bit version. Others (for example iTunes) aren't officially supported on XP64 and will need some workarounds to install (it can be done with iTunes, whatever Apple say). And, although I can't say for sure, some just might not run at all (for example, possibly the version of Nero that you have).

64-bit versions of the same, or similar software, can normally be found but you'd do well to research it further by looking at the manufacturers' web sites.

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
AVG 8 works perfectly with XP64, as does iTunes. I've not tried Nero recently, but older versions worked fine.

TBH Most of the software I have on my XP64 boot is 32Bit, and i've not had any problems.