Apu drivers for ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I'm new to Linux, and I have recently installed it onto my newly built htpc. Everything works fine except for, a video driver problem. I have an amd apu
A4-3300 Llano. I installed a driver using the additional drivers, in the system options..

It installed a driver called ATI/Amd proprietary FGLRX graphics driver

the driver has many graphical errors upon start up, until I change the resolution of the scree (to anything, even back to the original resolution), after which the driver works perfectly

so I'm wondering how (if ) i can go about getting the original drivers. (will the drivers disk work... i currently don't have a cd drive installed).

Solution
maybe ubuntu is using older driver that does not support apu...
to try to fix:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates

if not, get latest from AMD website...

or instead of ubuntu, checkout OpenELEC. Runs on my amd fusion e350 with hardware acceleration out of the box (suggest latest dev/daily build). 0 configuration needed.
http://www.openelec.tv/

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Also, in the bottom right corner, it says amd unsupported hardware. So is there no way to get the right drivers?

And as for the default driver, the reason I downloaded this driver, is because the original driver wouldn't let me change the resolution in the options.
- Was I doing something wrong?

maybe ubuntu is using older driver that does not support apu...
to try to fix:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates

if not, get latest from AMD website...

or instead of ubuntu, checkout OpenELEC. Runs on my amd fusion e350 with hardware acceleration out of the box (suggest latest dev/daily build). 0 configuration needed.
http://www.openelec.tv/

Solution

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks, I found the drivers on the amd website (couldn't find a4-3300, so i got the 3400 drivers, but they work fine nonetheless)!

Also, I think the frame rate (when I'm watching 720 mkv vids) seams a bit off, So does anyone know hoe to check this. Or else is there a better codec that someone would recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.