Best P35 based board? (with oc in mind)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hello. I want to upgrade my system, and started by aquiring an e6600 cpu. Now what I also need is a motherboard and memory.
I want to push the cpu as far as I can on air, and want to know what the best overclocking P35 based board is ? (for ddr2 of course).

Currently my eyes are fixed on the gigabyte ds4 with its very solid looking mosfet cooling, but since I don't know anyone who's had more than one of the boards (one brand/version) I don't know which overclocks the best.
The ds4 won't do anythign without a bios update, but that's pretty much a minor thing.

I'm thinking either to keep my ninja, or invest in an ultra extreme or a tuniq for cooling.

On a side note, can I verify the memory chips on memory modules before buying? I want some high clocking modules, and in particular was hoping to get a 2gb kit of crucial ballistix pc6400 or pc8000 but how can I verify that they use micron D9DQT or D9GMH ? and in general, what's the cheapest memory that'll do 600mhz at cl5?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Do you mean P965 based motherboard or are you looking for a 650i based board? Because the DS4 uses the 650i from nvidia.
Neither. I'm looking for the best overclocking of the P35 boards - released this and next month.
DS3/DS4/DQ6/DS3P exist both as i965P and i35P while DS3R only exists as i35P ; and I don't know shit about nvidia based cards, but I'd rather have aids than nvidia based motherboards anyway.

freelance

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
What is X38 ? and when'll it arrive, and why dq6 ? what do I get extra aside from a 25% increase in expenses

x38 - enthusiast Intel chipset, or the "big brother" or p35, that would replace the existing 975x chip and will fully support CrossFire in 2x16 PCIe mode. This chip will also have a technology called "Auto-tuning" that is some sort of an automatically overclocking ability. x38 would also support both DDR2 (up to 800mhz) and DDR3 (up to 1066mhz), as well as upcoming Penryn intel 45nm processors with FSB1333. To be released on Q3 of 2007.
The anouncement that it will support DDR3 may rather be a marketing trick, since DDR3 may have same latency problems as DDR2 had at launch. So, until these problems will be surely avoided/overcome it would rather be better avoid buying x38DDR3 boards, but maybe ok buying x38DDR2 boards. However, I think I already saw somewhere P35 boards that have 4DDR2 slots AND 2DDR3 slots on the same board. Not sure how x38 boards will be built.

If you're not planing for full CF or DDR3 do you intend to wait?

I was thinking about DQ6, but then it seemed to me there is not THAT much of a difference between DQ6 and DS4. Indeed DQ6 seems to be a good board, but I am building a lesser-budget rig with a E4300 to OC up to 2,8mhz, so do I actualy need a DQ6??? DS4 seems to be quite decent and less expensive, and fit for my purpose - well, just see a review by Legion Hardware on DS4 here Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
I think I am buying a P35-DS4 and E4300 tomorrow and hope it'll have no problems or immature bios issues.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
i think the x38s memory controller will be faster clock for clock than the p35, they always place artificial limits inside these things to make sure the enthusiast ones go better

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
What is X38 ? and when'll it arrive, and why dq6 ? what do I get extra aside from a 25% increase in expenses

x38 - enthusiast Intel chipset, or the "big brother" or p35, that would replace the existing 975x chip and will fully support CrossFire in 2x16 PCIe mode. This chip will also have a technology called "Auto-tuning" that is some sort of an automatically overclocking ability. x38 would also support both DDR2 (up to 800mhz) and DDR3 (up to 1066mhz), as well as upcoming Penryn intel 45nm processors with FSB1333. To be released on Q3 of 2007.
The anouncement that it will support DDR3 may rather be a marketing trick, since DDR3 may have same latency problems as DDR2 had at launch. So, until these problems will be surely avoided/overcome it would rather be better avoid buying x38DDR3 boards, but maybe ok buying x38DDR2 boards. However, I think I already saw somewhere P35 boards that have 4DDR2 slots AND 2DDR3 slots on the same board. Not sure how x38 boards will be built.

If you're not planing for full CF or DDR3 do you intend to wait?

I was thinking about DQ6, but then it seemed to me there is not THAT much of a difference between DQ6 and DS4. Indeed DQ6 seems to be a good board, but I am building a lesser-budget rig with a E4300 to OC up to 2,8mhz, so do I actualy need a DQ6??? DS4 seems to be quite decent and less expensive, and fit for my purpose - well, just see a review by Legion Hardware on DS4 here Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
I think I am buying a P35-DS4 and E4300 tomorrow and hope it'll have no problems or immature bios issues.

Good luck finding one. 8O
New Chipset = Immature bios so good luck with that also. :wink:

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Ya the GA-P35C boards have both ddr2 and ddr3

Anyhow, I'm very much not convinced that dq6 is worth anything near the extra it costs. What actually does one get with the ds6 - and are there alternatives to gigabyte? or do the asus options suck as always, and what about abit and the others?

In short, I'm getting no answers here. Okay so x38 is the equivalent of i975p - but that chipset wasn't really any good, and if the x38 is a new version of that, it sure ain't worth waiting for.

In any event, what I want is a p35 board, which one oc's teh best?

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Look buddy, nobody has one. We are not clairvoyant, so we do not know what board is "the best". We have access to the same Internet as you, which is where all the information is right now. By Gigabyte's model classification with previous Intel chipsets the DQ6 will be the board with more features geared towards the enthusiast. You asked for the best Gigabyte P35 gigabyte board, that is the DQ6. The rest of the motherboard manufactures will also have P35 boards. Fact is: you will not get one until next month, if you do get one now (not likely) you will pay out the nose for it.

And BTW the 975 chipset is an enthusiast’s chipset, meaning you have to know what you are doing to get the most out of it. Same with x38, if you want an extreme OC these are the chipsets to use.

Long rant short.
YOU CAN NOT BUY THESE MOTHERBOARDS YET.
Retard.
:evil:

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
asus p5k and ga ds4 can be aquired right now. ds4 for 2 weeks now, and no idea about the asus .. so it's not like they don't exist ....
besides, somebody must've had some of the boards for testing ; that's rather normal in the industry.

Besides, there's no need to be rude even if I were to be wrong, and definetly not before that. So post something constructive or don't post.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
If you can get a P35 board, get one and test it yourself.
The reviews online from people who got one must be somewhere......................................... think about it.

How many times are you going to ask?
Nobody knows because they are not out yet.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
If they're not out, how come serveral people I know have one? Thing is, they all have the gigabyte ds4 so I don't know if any of the others are better or worse or teh same. Perhaps no shops in the us have em yet, don't know. But some shops in denmark have em, and I bet all the testers (anandtech, firingsquad, tomshardware etc) have em - someone must have checked some oc limits.

Maybe you don't have the answer, which is fine by me, but someone might have.

As for trying myself - you may not be aware of it, but the two week return policy I am entitled for in denmark don't cover items that have been in use. Thus invalidating that option.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
they are instock and for sale in Australia, so unless the rest of the world is behind us in terms of technology (which i doubt), i think they'd be available there too, the 975x actually was a very nice chipset especially on boards like the P5W64-WS-PRO which could easily achieve FSB2000. Check out the MSI P35 platinum, it's pretty good from what i've heard, at stock on everything but the cpu it gets to 470+fsb.

PS, if you don't believe me about availability, check out www.staticice.com

juuh

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
It is always hilarious when someone makes an total ass out of himself by ranting about something that isn't quite true, P35 is out there...

Here are some reviews:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/21/intel_intros_3-series_chipsets_with_fsb1333_and_ddr3/

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2991&p=1

http://www.hothardware.com/articles/Intel_P35_Bearlake_Motherboard_And_DDR3_Memory__Asus_and_Corsair/

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
If you can get a P35 board, get one and test it yourself.
The reviews online from people who got one must be somewhere......................................... think about it.

How many times are you going to ask?
Nobody knows because they are not out yet.

They are very much out

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=5&sortby=nameAsc&subid=913&mfrid=

Please research before posting and misleading people in the future

to the op from what ive read Here the Gigabyte looks like an ideal Board bear in mind tho that they are not SLI or crossfie compatible if your interested in doing that that will be left to the X38

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
send me the money for one and i'll send you the board, lol, jks, but seriously, how did aus manage to get them in retail outlets before the rest of the world? we've had them here for about 3 weeks...same thing happened with the 8600gts, they were for sale here a good 2 weeks before everywhere else...

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
You really should do some searching they have been available in the US from a few Etailers for about two weeks. I was going to order one but have decided to wait and see.

cruser1068

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
For what its worth, I ordered a DQ6 yesterday....it should be turning up within the next 30 minutes if City Link are following theyre usual schedule :) I'll pop back sometime and let you know how I get on if you like.
Oh and dont get it from Overclockers....those bastards are crooks and incompetents...I won't bore you with the details why I think that. Get it from Misco....its significantly cheaper too (£145.51 inc VAT and next day delivery compared to about £168 from OverPricers)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I've just checked availability on the gigabyte boards in denmark. I've only checked the ten cheapest on each board. komplett.dk has 45 dq6's in stock, and databutikken.com (swedish, with delivery here) has an unknown number of ds4's
ds3p's arrive friday, so nobody's got any of those yet. Doubt anyone wants them when they can get ds4 for the equivalent of 8 euro more though.

Anyhow, I guess I'll just get a ds4 like everybody else. msi getting to 500 fsb isn't that impressive when I've seen ds4 do 575 and some asus thing doing 600 (wouldn't want asus though - don't like em)

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Yes about 2 weeks ago, ZZF, newegg, and ClubIT had them listed. Then took them off, I don't think the boards are supposed to be sold until next month here in the US. The top PC component etailers (US) do not have them listed.

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
send me the money for one and i'll send you the board, lol, jks, but seriously, how did aus manage to get them in retail outlets before the rest of the world? we've had them here for about 3 weeks...same thing happened with the 8600gts, they were for sale here a good 2 weeks before everywhere else...

Intel's and nVidia's nukes can't fly that far.