Sign in with
Your question

dual boot, xp home (32-bit) and xp pro (64-bit)

Last response: in Windows XP
November 21, 2008 2:23:20 PM

hello everybody, i have a question, i currentlly have a 500 gb hard drive with windows xp home on it and i have an extra hard drive sitting on my desk, a seagate barracuda 1 tb hard drive, and i will be purhasing xp por 64-bit, and i wanna know if i can just put in my 1 tb hard drive and install xp pro on that and then to choose wich os to run, i know dual botting is possible im just not sure how i am going to go about installing it onto my 1 tb hard drive
any help would be great thanks
November 21, 2008 4:14:16 PM

Just select the 1 Tb drive as the disk to install to when installing and it should be fine. After installation, when booting you'll get a menu prompting you to choose which OS to boot.

Having said that you would be wise to take an image of your current setup, or back it up in some way. I've never had any problem when doing this sort of installation, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Also I would partition the 1 Tb drive into smaller partitions, say 50 -100 Gb for the XP64 installation and the rest as a data drive which can be shared between the two, or you can partition more or whatever.

Once you get used to doing this sort of thing it's not too difficult. At one time my main PC was running Windows 2000, XP64, Vista Beta, FreeBSD, Solaris, and two flavours of Linux. Now that's what you call multi-booting (and it is a little more difficult to set up than two Windows installations). Now it's just the Win2000, XP64, and two Linuxes as I have another PC which runs other OSes.

But again, take a backup before doing something like this - you probably won't need it, but "do you feel lucky, punk?".
November 24, 2008 10:55:42 PM

Ijack said:
Just select the 1 Tb drive as the disk to install to when installing and it should be fine. After installation, when booting you'll get a menu prompting you to choose which OS to boot.

Having said that you would be wise to take an image of your current setup, or back it up in some way. I've never had any problem when doing this sort of installation, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Also I would partition the 1 Tb drive into smaller partitions, say 50 -100 Gb for the XP64 installation and the rest as a data drive which can be shared between the two, or you can partition more or whatever.

Once you get used to doing this sort of thing it's not too difficult. At one time my main PC was running Windows 2000, XP64, Vista Beta, FreeBSD, Solaris, and two flavours of Linux. Now that's what you call multi-booting (and it is a little more difficult to set up than two Windows installations). Now it's just the Win2000, XP64, and two Linuxes as I have another PC which runs other OSes.

But again, take a backup before doing something like this - you probably won't need it, but "do you feel lucky, punk?".

oh my thats a lot of os, so after i log into my current profile on my 32- bit os (with the 500 gb hard drive) and load the disk for xp64 it will ask what drive to install it?
thats what im gonna do, and yes i have an old 60 gb hard drive that i will backup all my needed files on to it, thanks for your help
Related resources
November 24, 2008 11:45:25 PM

and i actually just read a good tutorial on dual booting, so i will be booting from the windows xp pro disk and yes i know how to set it in my bios so it boots from a cd first (had to do that for memtest, which passed :)  )
i just re-read the article and it said that i HAD to set up partitions, which i didnt plan doing, i planned on using the full 1 TB drive, no partitions on it, (i might use the 60 gb as a partition but its old and requires an IDE slot which is being used up by my disk drive, and i have no money for a IDE to SATA converter) i planned on just using the 2 drives completely seperate, so do i need to make partitions? or is that just something you can do? and do i HAVE to backup my files? it said that it will erase all the files on the drive but if im installing it onto a blank drive(not the 500gb one) will i be ok? i know backing up my data is always a good option but im lazy and not very patient so i would rather not have to do that, besides i wouldnt lose THAT much data, just lots of music/videos/games that i surprisingly kept all the cd's and cases for :) 
November 25, 2008 7:55:28 AM

You don't have to partition the 1 TB drive, other than just to create the one partition to install on (the installation program will prompt you to do this). Just make absolutely sure that you select the 1 TB drive for the install and very little on your original (C: drive) will change. (It will change the hidden file "boot.ini" and that's about it.) You will end up with all of the XP 64 code on the 1 TB disk.

When you boot you'll be presented with a menu offering the choice of XP or XP64. XP64 booting will read a very small amount of code/data from the other drive and from then on get everything off it's own drive. You'll end up with C: (XP) and D: (XP64) drives in both XP and XP64. In XP you can hide the D: drive by unassigning the drive letter - I wouldn't suggest doing the equivalent in the XP64 setup (never actually tried hiding the initial boot drive like this, but it sounds like asking for trouble).

Two Windows installations like this is very simple (possibly not so simple if one is Vista) and, unless you're extremely careless there's little chance of your losing and data. The only slight oddity is that one of your Windows system disks will be the D: drive rather than the more common C:. It's even possible to set up two Windows installations on the same partition of the same drive - I've done this in the past as a way of recovering a screwed up installation.

Believe me, if it can be done with all the OSes I mention, two Windows installations is a breeze.

You don't have to back up your data. If you can bear the thought of losing it all then it doesn't matter too much if things go wrong (which is extremely unlikely). I tend to make sure that I have a fairly recent backup before doing anything adventurous because of experience. But then, I do far stupider things than you're proposing.
November 25, 2008 1:27:04 PM

thank you for all your help
!