Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Configuration
  • Windows XP
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 22, 2007 10:38:39 AM

Last night I was trying Lost Planet at fairly low settings when my computer froze. So I reset it, but when it started back up a message saying that a config file was missing or currupt and that I had to repair my XP installation. I rebooted a few more times just to find the same message. So I went to do a repair, and got to the input admin password, which I did, but it said that it was invalid. I tried this at least 10 times to no avail. So I reverted to a reinstall of XP which got me back up and running. Everything in my system seems to be very stable. This was on the system in my sig.

What caused this?

More about : crashed

May 22, 2007 11:45:05 AM

Try resetting system to defaults in the bios.Sounds like the game didn't like your overclock.Goodluck

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471
a b B Homebuilt system
May 22, 2007 12:36:51 PM

To do a repair install you proceed as doing a new installation.
It will tell you it found a previouis Windows installation and offer to repair it.
The process looks just like a new installation, except when it is finished all your files and most of your settings will still be there.
I don't think you need the administrator password to do a repair. You do need the serial number of your OS.
Related resources
May 22, 2007 1:48:14 PM

It would not let me do a repair without a password. The only password I ever set it would not accept, so I had to do a reinstall. Luckily all of my data was on another drive so I didnt loose anything. It just seems strange that it wouldnt accept my password.

Thanks
May 22, 2007 2:45:54 PM

Quote:
What caused this?

User error? LOL.

What are your system specs?