Sign in with
Your question

Onboard network adapter not found.

Last response: in Networking
August 13, 2007 12:12:49 AM

If this is the wrong place, I'm sorry, but it seemed most appropriate to me for the question. I have a troubleshooting issue that I'm trying to figure out right now. For no apparent reason, my network adapter has not only ceased from functioning, but has also disappeared from my device manager and my network connections windows on my computer. I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition on my Gateway GT5228, and I have no idea what happened to it.

Nothing unusual was installed/uninstalled, no virus that my scanners can find--nothing that would make me come to an obvious conclusion.

The mobo is FIC's K2BC51, according to Gateway's support page, but Gateway's tech support could only tell me "get a recovery CD" which really shouldn't be the only solution to this problem. I've tried a lot of steps with this problem--system restores, browsing FIC's page and nVidia's (supposedly they have something to do w/ the network adapter, but I don't really know too much about mobos and integrated networking/graphics/etc. so I couldn't tell you much about it.)

If anyone has any insight on how to solve this problem, please let me know. Thank you very much for all your help.
August 13, 2007 10:44:37 PM

Check you BIOS and make sure it's enabled. Also you should be able to download the Lan driver from the Gateway website and try installing it. Not sure why you'd have to use the restore disk unless the tech support person was to lazy or dumb to try to help you or it's that some proprietary settings that need restored, which can be an issue with any computer you buy rather than build
August 14, 2007 7:09:09 PM

Honestly, I looked into the drivers and things like that. It had been working, so I didn't suspect the BIOS, but I checked anyway and it wasn't the problem. After a few hours of struggling I decided just to opt with an old LNE100TX card I had in my older PC that was just lying around and not hooked up...

That works fine--I'm thinking there might have been a spike of some kind that shorted out the network adapter, because I can't figure out why else it wouldn't detect no matter what drivers I tried loading...
Related resources
August 14, 2007 7:36:47 PM

If that cards works, then the onboard LAN is in all likelihood shot. If the machine is under warranty, you could see if Gateway would fix it, will require putting in a new motherboard. Glad you got it worked out.
August 15, 2007 1:16:19 AM

Yea. I figured something shorted. Seems to be the case, because I've had absolutely 0 problems w/ the Linksys card. Appreciate the help. Might consider the warranty, but I don't know what the first year warranty includes, so it might not be worthwhile. Hell, i'd probably be better off buying the same mobo again and replacing it, but it's not worth all the effort. Much easier to just stick with my $14.99 (at the time of purchase) Linksys card, and if I need to, replace it in the old PC. $15 is worth avoiding the problems of A) warranty repair/replacement, and B) personal work on it. Seems stupid otherwise.
August 15, 2007 11:16:17 AM

You're probably right about the warranty. I'd call Gateway and see if they'll send you a new board. If they do fine, if they start jacking you around, forget it. Keeping the math simple, if your time is worth $60 an hour and you're dealing with a $15 part, you can afford to spend 15 minutes on it. :) 
!