Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can Access Router But Not Internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 8, 2007 12:13:02 AM

My laptop will connect to my wireless router with a strong signal but I am unable to use the internet. This problem started when I changed my hard drive. I have reinstalled all the corect drivers and XP SP2. If I plug my computer into the router, then I can pick up the internet. Boggles me. Help!!!! Any possitive input would be appreciated.

More about : access router internet

September 8, 2007 12:48:01 PM

Released and renew IP address from laptop? DNS maybe?
September 8, 2007 10:43:21 PM

Turn off your firewall and try. If that doesn't work, try recycling your router and modem, turn of the computer, unplug both the router and modem, wait a few minutes plug in the modem, wait a few minutes, plug in the router, wait a few minutes and start the computer. Run the wireless connection wizard if no connection
Related resources
September 13, 2007 5:53:14 AM

jkurz said:
Released and renew IP address from laptop? DNS maybe?

How would I go about renewing my ip address?
September 13, 2007 11:38:27 AM

How To Release and/or Renew IP Addresses on Windows XP | 2000 | NT
From Bradley Mitchell,
Your Guide to Wireless / Networking.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
Follow these steps to quickly release and/or renew the Internet Protocol (IP) address of a computer running Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows NT.
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: seconds
Here's How:

1. Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.

2. Click Run... on this menu.

3. If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'cmd' (without the quotes) in the text box that appears. A command prompt window appears on the screen.

4. Type 'ipconfig' (without the quotes) to view the status of the computer's IP address(es).

5. If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'ipconfig /release' to let go of the address.

6. Type 'ipconfig /renew' to obtain a new IP address (whether or not the computer is holding a current address).

Tips:

1. If it is not necessary to view the current IP addresses on a computer, simply type 'ipconfig /release' or 'ipconfig /renew' (without the quotes) in the text box that appears in Step 3.

2. To bring a computer back onto the network after moving it to a different location, or experiencing an unexpected outage, first release, then renew the IP address. Computers on DHCP networks often (but not always) re-establish network connectivity automatically.

What You Need:

* WinXP, Win2000, or WinNT
* IP network connectivity

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht...

If none of the above fixes the problem, reset set the router to the mfg's default settings, should be a button on the back, possibly recessed, this will also reset the router log on and password to the mfg's default. Then set up the network again, generally you get a CD with the router for this.
September 13, 2007 5:42:48 PM

i am facing the same problem...i have a Intel Pro 3945ABG adapter and a Ericsson ADSL2+ router. I can connect easily to the router but not the internet

I have tried all the above mentioned solutions without any success
September 13, 2007 7:02:19 PM

aakaash said:
i am facing the same problem...i have a Intel Pro 3945ABG adapter and a Ericsson ADSL2+ router. I can connect easily to the router but not the internet

I have tried all the above mentioned solutions without any success

Have you tried connecting the modem directly to the computer?
September 20, 2007 4:09:12 AM

Yes i have. I can use the internet with my computer directly connected to the router, but when I try to access it wirelessly that is when I have my problem.
September 20, 2007 7:47:12 PM

Sounds like bad DNS entries, but I don't get where you when you would have entered them. Go to your network connection properties (Start->Control Panel->Network Connections->Right click on your connection->Properties). In the properties dialog, on the General tab, click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP, then click the properties button below. Ensure that both options are set to Obtain automatically.
October 1, 2007 10:04:44 PM

I'm having the same problem w/ my acer 1900 utilizing a Linksys Wireless-G router. My problem is that I can't release my old address because my "Media State" is disconnected. Any Help out there?
October 10, 2007 7:29:01 AM

what is the isp. i tried to set up AOL broadband for someone and you could only have 1 person connected to the internet which was the router and no actuall clients.
Anonymous
December 27, 2010 2:18:00 PM

Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Option > Advanced>Reset > OK and then close everything you have open / running and connect to the Internet.
February 10, 2011 10:36:59 PM

cctech said:
Sounds like bad DNS entries, but I don't get where you when you would have entered them. Go to your network connection properties (Start->Control Panel->Network Connections->Right click on your connection->Properties). In the properties dialog, on the General tab, click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP, then click the properties button below. Ensure that both options are set to Obtain automatically.

cctech,

I have tried everything I could find on the forums for days. I bought this laptop used so I was flying a little blind. I just checked the TCP/IP and "obtain automatically" WASN'T CHECKED! I'm on my way home from work now to wirelss tether my rooted DROID to my laptop. Life is good.

gmix
July 23, 2011 1:24:22 AM

I am having the same problem as everyone else. I have checked everything listed on this string. I have also attempted to change my default gateway to my DSL router's IP address. This did not work either. When I connect to my wireless router my indications are --- In the network sharing window I can see my computer, the connection in the middle says "Unidentified Network" and Internet has an X over it. When I run my mouse over the network icon on the windows bar it says "Local only.

When I plug my laptop into the router the network icon reads Local and internet.

This didn't start happening until I purchased a new wireless router. I think it is important to mention that when I attempt an ipconfig /release I get an alert "the requested operation requires elevation" I have never seen this message. I can enter an ipconfig /renew and the command works. I am logged in as administrator.

Another thing to note is that when I activate the Acer network detection software it will find the network and then cycle on and off as if it gets an IP and then drops it. I disabled this software thinking it might be causing some of the issues with the new hardware.
August 29, 2011 8:53:20 AM

Okay... I used to have a DSL router and changed to another one, and had the same problem. Try what cctech said (cant remember name) and that worked fine for me. basicly - its holding the IP from the OLD router so its failing to connect. I also have a windows 7 laptop which, yes, automaticly does that. :pt1cable: 
August 31, 2011 9:40:04 PM

:bounce:  SOLVED MY PROBLEM! I was having the same problem and i figured that it would be the security key and it happened to be correct now I can connect to the internet wireless. In some cases, the network card may not be able to accept WPA2 Encryption (the stronger encryption), in this case change the encryption to WEP (less strong but has security) and use the hex code (series of numbers and letters) to access your router. I found this out from the above when i was able to connect wireless when the network was unsecured. I wanted some sort of security so I used WEP 64bit or 128bit. I hope this helps you as it did for me.
Quote:
Tell me what you need and Ill tell you how to get along without it...
October 31, 2011 8:29:49 PM

where do I find the hex code?
November 1, 2011 3:22:50 PM

hex is just a series of numbers and letters, most of the time it will provide you with an option to create one for you, so you just need to write it down.

otherwise you just make a jumble of lower case letters and numbers and use that as your password, but it has to be 64 or 128 bits long. Check google and it will provide you with a little more information.
November 23, 2011 1:55:55 AM

pwestphal said:
My laptop will connect to my wireless router with a strong signal but I am unable to use the internet. This problem started when I changed my hard drive. I have reinstalled all the corect drivers and XP SP2. If I plug my computer into the router, then I can pick up the internet. Boggles me. Help!!!! Any possitive input would be appreciated.

Hi there!!

Could you kindly check the IP leased from your router first. IF IP already to your laptop and still not getting internet access, please disable your NIC and enable again.
Check your MAC address and note down it.

We in Myanmar (former Burma) having similar problems at some internet cafe and PCs need to be replaced with new NIC card. For our laptop if you stil having the none internet issue, you better check your NIC and change your MAC address.
Any more assistance should there be, please mail me to kokowin@yismyanmar.com or here!!

good luck

Ko Ko
January 10, 2012 12:04:26 PM

cctech said:

Hi I can't seem to do this process. When I right click on my network and click properties there is no general tab just a connection and security tabs, so I am unable to find the TCP/IP. Any suggestions? Thanks
February 4, 2012 7:10:40 AM

my problem is i have one d-link access the wireless but internet not coming where is the problem
March 5, 2012 7:55:26 PM

Try actually re-installing your router. Get the disk and start from the beginning. Worked for me.
!