AMD X2 4600 normal temperature ?

pshych0

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
Hi
I have a X2 4600+ on gigabyte nforce570S4 sli mb, 2x1Gb kingston pc6400, gigabyte x1950xt, western digital 2500ks and in games like doom3 and half life 2 the cpu stock cooler is at high rpm (the noise is not an issue) and the cpu temperature is around 53-54C for both cores. If u can pls help and tell me if this is normal or if i should change the cpu cooler? note that there is no OC done. I have 2 sistem cooler (intake and out) and the room temp is 20-25C (it;s summer). thnx for any help

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
These are the same temps I am getting from my 2.4GHz X2 4200+ for almost the same conditions and it's fine (they should be 55°C or lower). However, mine is a burn temperature (both cores under Prime) and it is usually ~5°C lower than any normal load like a game.

pshych0

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
thnx m25, :)
i'm curios, would there be any difference if i would change the cpu cooler? no perfomance wise, just...dunno...lifetime maybe or something? is it worth the extra $?

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I have a x2 4200 (older 90nm) also, and I have a cooler that is *underrated* for it -- a silent low fan speed cooler designed only for a single core. But it works great. Occasionally, some internet explorer window will malfunction (I usually have a variety of things going on in 25+ windows), and when the cpus are pegged due to the software glitch at 100% for a while, I'll finally hear my fan start running faster. Normal temps are around 42-55C (depends on room temperature), and if the cpus get pegged at 100%, it can get to 65 and the worst was near 70. But these chips are rated to go quite a bit higher than that. If I was running some task that routinely pegged my cpus to 100% for more than 5 minutes at a time, I'd go ahead and get a cooler designed for a dual core, which is to say, I'd get what you already have.

Also, sometimes the case gets too warm. Does it have a case fan? Is the air from the case fan rather warm to the feel?

celltech

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I have a X2 4200+ EE (65 Watt) overclocked to 4600+ on a ECS 6100SM board. On top I planted a huge all copper Zalman 7700. And before you say the 7700 does not fit AM2, I took the tension bar off the stock AMD cooler, ground down the middle 'bumps' and made it fit 8)

With QnC on it idles at 30C and hits ~45C with 2 instances of CPU Burn running. This is with the fan control set as low as it will go...somewhere around 1000 rpm. I have been amazed how cool this thing is, especially after getting rid of my P4 3.0Ghz Prescott. The exhaust fans could cook eggs.

I have been striving for cool, quiet systems for some time now. I am using an Antec P180 case with its 120mm fans at their lowest speeds. I am so done with using a slew of 80mm screamers. My office is much more peaceful now...

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I've never seen a temp higher than 43 degrees c on my 4600 X2. With either the stock cooler or the Zalman 7000. Maybe your case's airflow is not so good.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I have a x2 4200 (older 90nm) also, and I have a cooler that is *underrated* for it -- a silent low fan speed cooler designed only for a single core. But it works great. Occasionally, some internet explorer window will malfunction (I usually have a variety of things going on in 25+ windows), and when the cpus are pegged due to the software glitch at 100% for a while, I'll finally hear my fan start running faster. Normal temps are around 42-55C (depends on room temperature), and if the cpus get pegged at 100%, it can get to 65 and the worst was near 70. But these chips are rated to go quite a bit higher than that. If I was running some task that routinely pegged my cpus to 100% for more than 5 minutes at a time, I'd go ahead and get a cooler designed for a dual core, which is to say, I'd get what you already have.

Also, sometimes the case gets too warm. Does it have a case fan? Is the air from the case fan rather warm to the feel?

I've identified your problem: Internet Explorer.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

I've identified your problem: Internet Explorer.

:)

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
thnx m25, :)
i'm curios, would there be any difference if i would change the cpu cooler? no perfomance wise, just...dunno...lifetime maybe or something? is it worth the extra $?
55°C is just at the limits of the healthy temperatures and you never know if it's ever going to raise beyond that. Add to this the fact that a better cooler like an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro is also quieter, will allow you to OC somehow if you want and is only $15-20; I say it's worth, I'm getting one for my 2.4Ghz X2 4200+ too :wink:

pshych0

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
thnx for the replys guys, appreciate it
can any give me some link to programs that monitor cpu temp corectly? there;s something called Vcore...dunno really...and how should i test my cpu temp at full load? thnx again