travismontana

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I did a fresh install of windows xp pro with sp3 and had the hyperthreading on, after about 3/4 into the install it would lock up until after 3 hours trying I dis abled hyperthreading, then it finished the install in seconds, now I turned on the hyperthreading and it worked until I restarted windows the next day and it freezes on loading your settings. why does this happen? is it just my windows not compatiable, and should I just upgrade to vista ( not that I want to) how can I make my 2.6 p4 with Hyper threading work on xp.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I highly doubt its HT causing this problem.

HT is quite old now and is way before Vista so upgrading isn't a logical choice. The problem certainly isn't XP. Your problem lies somewhere else.

travismontana

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I bought the cpu from STARMICRO INC for 19.00 and it works great and I use pc wizard and both companys say its HT p4 2.6 Ghz. Can it be the processor I have a new motherboard since the other wouldnt boot and bought a biostar p4m-80 and it works good and has the HT enable or disable in the bios but just cant get it to work. where the other motherboard didnt have it at all and it had a celeron d-325 in it. and got this P4 at a deal. the computer was in storage until I came home from the military and was told celerons are crap so I got the P4 instead. so any help would be great since Im going to get a barebones computer from tigerdirect in 2 months for dual core, but will I have to get a new operating sestem or will it detect the new board and dual core. from Intel, and do you have to get a new operations system if I get AmD 64x2