Sign in with
Your question

Best easy to use Linux distro for old comp

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 4, 2012 2:28:41 PM

I have an old pentium4 @2.8 ghz w 2gb ram and 80 gb hd, I want to set it up as a web browsing/ kitchen computer for my parents.

Which is the best easy to use, lightweight and Quick loading Linux distro?

More about : easy linux distro comp

a b 5 Linux
February 4, 2012 3:39:10 PM

lubuntu or xubuntu, but of course there are countless others.

Word of warning though: when setting up linux for parents, be prepared to get calls when something doesnt work :) 
a b 5 Linux
February 4, 2012 10:28:54 PM

I would go with Linux Mint LXDE.
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
February 5, 2012 12:27:28 AM

amdfangirl said:
I would go with Linux Mint LXDE.

As would I! Even better, the Debian spin of Mint LXDE! :D 
a b 5 Linux
February 5, 2012 1:02:29 AM

Is there such thing? :o 

Oh well, soon enough I will be able to release my own spin of Fedora 15 LXDE for you all :p 

-LibreOffice installed by default
-VLC and libcss + gstreamer ugly
-rpmfusion pre-configured out of the box
a b 5 Linux
February 5, 2012 2:30:40 AM

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Blast! Only Gnome and XFCE. I was under the impression they had an LXDE spin for some reason. Oh well, a tad of hackery and it can be yours!

I keep telling myself I'm gonna spin a distro. I've been saying that for 2 years now :D  I'm hoping to this summer when I don't have school to worry about.
a b 5 Linux
February 5, 2012 2:50:19 AM

Well I'm almost done, I have working prototype spins.

I just need to make the website and wait for the last of Fedora 15's updates to arrive and make a website. I have the ftp server ready. :) 
a b 5 Linux
February 5, 2012 2:58:47 PM

What? no torrent?? ;-)
February 5, 2012 5:47:22 PM

Thanks for the replies i think I might go with Linux mint lxde, is it good to install from USB to old dell dimension 3000 and which version to get
a b 5 Linux
February 5, 2012 11:27:09 PM

I doubt it will support USB. I would use a CD.
a b 5 Linux
February 6, 2012 10:29:28 AM

Just checked and the Dell Dimension 3000 should support USB booting without any problem. We still had a few of them knocking around the office in my last job. You might find that you need to enable USB boot support in BIOS though, I don't think it's enabled by default.

a b 5 Linux
February 6, 2012 10:47:19 AM

ali2837 said:
I have an old pentium4 @2.8 ghz w 2gb ram and 80 gb hd, I want to set it up as a web browsing/ kitchen computer for my parents.

Which is the best easy to use, lightweight and Quick loading Linux distro?

With that much RAM, peppermint would be a very good choice -- even better than lubuntu -- especially if web use is primary function.
!