Best easy to use Linux distro for old comp

I have an old pentium4 @2.8 ghz w 2gb ram and 80 gb hd, I want to set it up as a web browsing/ kitchen computer for my parents.

Which is the best easy to use, lightweight and Quick loading Linux distro?
11 answers Last reply
More about best easy linux distro comp
  1. lubuntu or xubuntu, but of course there are countless others.

Word of warning though: when setting up linux for parents, be prepared to get calls when something doesnt work :)
  2. I would go with Linux Mint LXDE.
  3. amdfangirl said:
    I would go with Linux Mint LXDE.

As would I! Even better, the Debian spin of Mint LXDE! :D
  4. Is there such thing? :O

Oh well, soon enough I will be able to release my own spin of Fedora 15 LXDE for you all :P

-LibreOffice installed by default
    -VLC and libcss + gstreamer ugly
    -rpmfusion pre-configured out of the box
  5. http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Blast! Only Gnome and XFCE. I was under the impression they had an LXDE spin for some reason. Oh well, a tad of hackery and it can be yours!

I keep telling myself I'm gonna spin a distro. I've been saying that for 2 years now :D I'm hoping to this summer when I don't have school to worry about.
  6. Well I'm almost done, I have working prototype spins.

I just need to make the website and wait for the last of Fedora 15's updates to arrive and make a website. I have the ftp server ready. :)
  7. What? no torrent?? ;-)
  8. Thanks for the replies i think I might go with Linux mint lxde, is it good to install from USB to old dell dimension 3000 and which version to get
  9. I doubt it will support USB. I would use a CD.
  10. Just checked and the Dell Dimension 3000 should support USB booting without any problem. We still had a few of them knocking around the office in my last job. You might find that you need to enable USB boot support in BIOS though, I don't think it's enabled by default.
  11. ali2837 said:
    I have an old pentium4 @2.8 ghz w 2gb ram and 80 gb hd, I want to set it up as a web browsing/ kitchen computer for my parents.

Which is the best easy to use, lightweight and Quick loading Linux distro?

With that much RAM, peppermint would be a very good choice -- even better than lubuntu -- especially if web use is primary function.
Ask a new question

Read More

Distribution Linux