Need help doing crossfire with 2900's

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
I just built my new computer and I got it to run damn well with 1 2900. So me not knowing anything about CF thought i just turn off the comp and hook up the second video card and the crossfire dongle n what not. Well when i started it up no matter what dvi slot I plugged my monitor into(3007Dell) nothing showed up.... so i turned off my comp hoping windows hadnt loaded yet and now i have to reinstall..... but anyways what did I do wrong? was I was supposed to turn CF on in the bios or something? or just in catalyst??

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Can you please send your full system spec!
Seems like a power supply problem as 2xHD2900XT need serious amount of power to operate!

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
also I think I seem to have artifacts(not sure why they just appeared after i shut my comp down and took out the 2nd card). I mean tons of artifacts like at the posting screen i see like 4 rows of red bars and like 5 colums of green and even the windows it outlayed in like artifacts(i think that is what they're called)

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
It doesnt seem like my system wants to load windows vista anymore b/c of the artifacts or something b/c i just reinstalled vista and installed ati drivers and artifacts were still there and it woulndt load vista I got the blue screen of death. So now im in safemode

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
but I cant do anything lol... whenever it tries to start in normal mode i just blue screens me and restarts. plus the whole entire screen is just like full of artifacts. Maybe I did something wrong when hooking it up even though I havent changed it and this morning it was working perfectly until I put in the 2nd card and it wouldnt start and I shut down my comp and took out the 2nd one to only have this....even reinstalled vista.

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
but I cant do anything lol... whenever it tries to start in normal mode i just blue screens me and restarts. plus the whole entire screen is just like full of artifacts. Maybe I did something wrong when hooking it up even though I havent changed it and this morning it was working perfectly until I put in the 2nd card and it wouldnt start and I shut down my comp and took out the 2nd one to only have this....even reinstalled vista.

So even after going back to 1 card and reinstalling vista it doesnt boot up correctly?

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
yeah with 1 card. I get the blue screen everytime I try to boot up normal and it is full of artifacts from the second I turn it on to wherever im at constantly. I think I can get the error report info right now.

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
yeah with 1 card. I get the blue screen everytime I try to boot up normal and it is full of artifacts from the second I turn it on to wherever im at constantly. I think I can get the error report info right now.

Switch cards and try it again.

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
but that makes no sense as it was working perfectly earlier today until I tried to crossfire.... damnit another thing to rma..

So are you now saying that your original first card is the one thats now not working or is it the one you bought for crossfire?

Most likely its your second card that you purchased since everything was fine until you went crossfire.

You just got a defective card from the factory, sucks but it happens sometimes.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
maybe it is because i used the pciex6 pin connector that are connected to each other rather than independent ones?
wait a minute... are you saying you are trying to draw power from one 2900 to the other?

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
maybe it is because i used the pciex6 pin connector that are connected to each other rather than independent ones?
wait a minute... are you saying you are trying to draw power from one 2900 to the other?
I think he's saying he's using two connectors from the same line?

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
So do you have crossfire now or still one card? Also post your specs as to what mobo your on. Did you use the external dongle(you seem to mention that in your post) or internal crossfire bridge (both of them are required i believe) Also are you sure that you've put the second card in the correct slot. Some boards have three PCI-e slots, but only two of them are for crossfire/SLI. When in doubt, go to ATI's site as they have some instruction videos on how to install correctly. On the powerplugs issue... if there's a choice try to use separate rails for each card. The manual with your PSU should have some advice on that also. Hope you get it to run man, good luck 8)

"edit" on the "both of them are required" thingie.. what i mean is both of the internal crossfire connectors, not the external dongle as well. It seemed a bit vague on rereading it :D

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
perhaps in the process of setting up ur crossfire rig, you managed to damage the card that was working in the morning.

can you get it replaced???

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
I just RMAed it today back to newegg for a brand new one hopefully and do I have to do anything for crossfire? or do i just have to physically set it up? is there anything that I have to do in the bios or ati driver before I put in the second card?

I am using a badaxe2 motherboard from intel and im pretty sure I put them both in the right slot.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
As far as the pci slots go that should be in your manual but for SLI it's usually the two 16x (black slots in your case) that are furthest apart from each other.And no you don't have to enable anything in the bios just enable crossfire in the Catalyst Control Center after you've put the card in. Also, to what card did you connect the monitor, cuz from what i can tell from the ATI site is that it should be connected to the bottom card.

Here are the links to both driver options and setup instruction vid:

http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/software_setup.html

http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/howitworksdemo.html

Have fun!! :p