Problem with my internet connection

rpven

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I have a computer that the internet only work only 5 minutes after i turned it on but the computer is telling me that is connected. After these 5 minutes i can not open any web pages and anything that need connection.

Can someone tell me how to repair or solve these

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
well this could be either or hardware or software, if it's hardware you lan controller might be overheating and tripping out or something similar. If it's software you might have some spyware or virus messing with your connection. It could also be a bad driver. An easy way to tell is to throw in a pci network card from an old comp then see if it works. If it does you have a hardware or driver problem.

rpven

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
my computer is a laptop and either the wireless adapter and the wire one work. I try the wireless one on my other laptop and work fine. And install the driver again and nothing. I have scan for spyware and viruses with mcafee and search and destroy. i even repair windows and nothing happened

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I think you meant to say neither the wireless adapter or the wired work right. Well anyway the odds of both failing hardware wise are pretty slim. I would check your tcp/ip setting maybe try a static ip. This sounds like something a fresh windows install would cure but that does take a lot of time. Can you ping other computers after and before the internet cuts out. It may be some program messing with your host file.

riser

Illustrious
Turn your computer on, connect to the internet.

Go to a command prompt, run IPCONFIG

After your internet stops working (5 minutes or so)

Go back to the command prompt, run IPCONFIG

Is it the same?

Ping 127.0.0.1 (your computer)
Ping your router (normally 192.168.1.1)
Ping a website (www.tomshardware.com)

Report back with that info.

rpven

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
i can ping my router and any website and work fine but when i try to use firefox or internet explorer the internet doesnot work.

This sounds like something a fresh windows install would cure but that does take a lot of time

i know i can do that i really want to solve the problem without doing that. if i dont fine the way to solve the i will do that but a need to backup all the information.

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
It sounds like something similar I went through with malware that messed up my host file goggle around to see if yours looks as it should.