Need some serious help.... New PC Issues...

Toras

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
Building up a new box which consists of the following:

-Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P
-Intel E6420
-Transcend DDR2 800 1GB RAM x2
-Western Digital 320GB SATA HD x2
-Samsung 18x DVD-RW x2
-ECS 8800GTS 640MB
-CoolerMaster iGreen 600W PSU
-CoolerMaster Cavalier T-01

Anyway I have connected all the correct cables in the right location (as per manual) and have connected the 24Pin ATX Power Connector + ATX 12V (2x2 Pin) Power Connector to the motherboard.

HOWEVER... When I turn on the PC it instantly shuts down and the "red light" turns on the back of the PSU.

CoolerMaster say that this light means either: Over-Voltage, Under-Voltage, Over-Temp, Over-Current, Over-Loading or Short-Circuit.

I have tried changing from the ATX 12 (2x2 Pin) to the (2x4 Pin) Power Connector and nothing has changed.

I did try unplugging power from the standard case fans + DVD drives + 1 Hard Drive and the PC turned on but didnt display any picture and the CPU fan didnt seem to turn on straight away - So I quickly turned off the PC.

I also have a PCIE_12V Power Connector on the motherboard. Should I be connecting the 2x Power Cables from the 8800GTS to this instead of the conventional power cables?? Only reason I havnt is that the Gigabyte manual says to connect vid card to this connector when using "two graphics cards".

Can someone please help me as I desperately need this PC up and running within 2 days.

Thanks

Toras

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
...I was told that this pc would work well with the 600W iGreen PSU...

Point is Im trying to get it working with what I have :(

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
take everything out of the case, assemble the mobo, vid card, ram, power supply and keyboard outside of the case.

if it powers up and you can get into BIOS then something in the way you put the mobo in the case was incorrect. my theory is that the mobo is shorting to something which is causing the power supply to shut down.

Toras

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
Just unplugged the 2x DVD-RW drives + 3 standard case fans and the system now powers up (but the CPU fan like trys to spin, then stops, then trys to spin then stops).... freaked the crap outta me so i turned it back off again.

Someone said this is go to do with "SmartFan" im not sure what that means??

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Smartfan controls the speed of the CPU fan to what is required to keep the CPU to a set temp. This prevents excessive noise. Fan will speed up as required. If you go into BIOS you can check the CPU temp. Try reconnecting the DVD/RW drives one at a time to see if one has a problem, If either one works, but not both, RMA the PSU!

Mike.

connectionwizard

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hello, I started a web page that will assist any one who wants to fix their PC. FREE. http://connectionwizard.comoj.com/ There are detailed instructions and free software I ahve been using for quite some time now with no issues. So if you are having any type of virus or malware issues, Stop in and fix it free. Take Care