Need to know how to Format a hard drive

hofstra66

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
My girlfriends computer is really **** the bed. I want to delete everything on the harddrive except for the os. Can some one please give me some advice as to how to go about this.

Thanks

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
best thing reinstall the OS using the disk that came with the computer..

P.S

all computers are **** in bed, try taking your girlfriend there instead /mean

I think some Mac fanboys find them an acceptable substitute, but they're just weird.

Sorry to the OP, not making fun of your problem. What you ask is next to impossible - a complete reinstall will be a lot less trouble in the long run.

Boot from the installation CD, by inserting the CD watching the bottom of the screen and pressing a key when you see the, "Boot from CDROM press any key", prompt, you have 5sec to do so, if the CD won't boot see Note1.

If necessary use F6 driver loading feature on initial boot if SATA drivers are required, you'll know SATA drivers are required if after the F8 screen Windows cannot find a HDD, see Note2.

After the MSFT F8 agreement screen, follow the directions to delete the primary partition, and continue with the installation, formatting the HDD

[Note1: May require entering the BIOS, by either holding down the Delete or F1 key on booting, and setting first boot to CDROM 2nd Boot to HDD, save and exit.]

[Note2: If SATA drivers are required they will need to be downloaded from the M/B manufacturers website, written to a floppy disk, and installed when the XP installation asks for them, most all website downloads for SATA are automatic floppy disk creators, just put a blank floppy in the floppy drive, and execute the creator application, if you don't have a floppy drive, Houston we have a problem! Post back for further instructions]

Note to hofstra66

It would have helped to of had more information, if the computer in question is a brand name or laptop with restore CDs, then simply insert the first restore cd and boot the systen, and it will all be done automatically including all drivers and applications.

Your initial thread header was Need to know how to format a hardrive, and thats what I've given you.