Sign in with
Your question

Should Tom's Upgrade Their Hardware for the Forumz

Last response: in CPUs

The Forumz Pages load S-l-o-w-l-y....should Tom''s:

Total: 50 votes

• Buy new Hard Drives for the Forumz Server?
  • 14 %
  • Delete some old posts and Defrag?
  • 8 %
  • Change Forumz software to prevent all the re-loading (get more intelligent software)?
  • 24 %
  • Buy a Spanking New Server :-)?
  • 54 %
May 22, 2007 2:50:21 PM

The Forumz pages load very slowly compared to other sites. An interesting article I read recently points out how as a hard drive fills up, it uses bands further and further in towards the center of the disk, reducing transfer rates. Of course, this is only one thing that can happen. There might be increasing number of folks reading, or areas of a site could get consolidated onto one old server. Perhaps even there could be a prioritization given (dunno). In any case, it's too slow for me!
May 22, 2007 2:54:30 PM

Funny, I dont have a problem when Im on my primary connection. Maybe you should upgrade your ISP
May 22, 2007 2:59:25 PM

Other sites load fast at the same moment Tom's is slow here. Do you find that Tom's Forumz pages usually load as fast as other sites? If so, I'd like to know.

For example, one fast site I use is WSJ.com, which loads moderately complex pages about twice as fast on average. But the worst is when the forumz just seems to freeze up for 20-30 seconds, and you see people here doing double posts because of this.
Related resources
May 22, 2007 3:36:13 PM

Actually, recently I found that posting a comment is taking much longer then it use too, even on another connection.
May 22, 2007 3:49:56 PM

Quote:
Other sites load fast at the same moment Tom's is slow here. Do you find that Tom's Forumz pages usually load as fast as other sites? If so, I'd like to know.

For example, one fast site I use is WSJ.com, which loads moderately complex pages about twice as fast on average. But the worst is when the forumz just seems to freeze up for 20-30 seconds, and you see people here doing double posts because of this.
Yeah, it seems like in the last week-two... it's brutal for me. Sometimes i just give up, after 45 seconds to a minute. Even when posting, or voting....it's getting to be a PITA. :x :x
May 22, 2007 4:13:02 PM

Yes, I have noticed is a little slow, but I feel it is still acceptable. However, these boards are pretty cool and intense with all the features.
May 22, 2007 4:14:29 PM

Whats with you, turpit, and ninja, along with i dunno who else, having the same avatar???

I'm eggting so confused... :? :p 

And ya, the forumz have always been slow, but lately i find its actually freezing my browser and i have to open a new IE and reload page.
May 22, 2007 4:23:04 PM

Let's not forget the amount of traffic at THG also helps make up the speed for which you access the site and information.

I've noticed that at certain times it loads slow while other times, its just as fast as most other places.
May 22, 2007 4:25:18 PM

Quote:
Let's not forget the amount of traffic at THG also helps make up the speed for which you access the site and information.

I've noticed that at certain times it loads slow while other times, its just as fast as most other places.
I'm usually on in the wee hours of the night, and lately i still find it quite slow...though not quite as bad as peak hours.
May 22, 2007 4:29:47 PM

Its always annoyingly slow for me and this has nothing to do with my ISP.
May 22, 2007 4:30:14 PM

Very slow the last 7-10 days.
May 22, 2007 4:34:40 PM

Quote:
Funny, I dont have a problem when Im on my primary connection. Maybe you should upgrade your ISP
May 22, 2007 4:45:31 PM

Quote:
Where ya been? It is ninja appreciation week. Vern and Jack are also sporting an avatar from ninja's collection

You have to be joking.

anyway, Ya forums are slow as heck some times. I say upgrade to the new 4.5ghz PPC and we are good to go.
May 22, 2007 5:03:07 PM

I thought I was the only one... IT IS BRUTAL!!!

Also, I've noticed a lot more double posting occurring as a result.

THIS IS A CUTTING EDGE TECH FORUM... AND THE SERVERS STINK... THE IRONY. :roll:
May 22, 2007 5:06:01 PM

I found it a bit slow the last two weeks, even if not to the freezing point, but actualy these last few days it has been quite ok.

1Tanker
Quote:
I'm usually on in the wee hours of the night, and lately i still find it quite slow...though not quite as bad as peak hours.

Good point, but you have to remember that Tom's is a world known site and even if most of the users are probably from the US there are also tons of viewers from diferent time zones :wink:
May 22, 2007 5:14:54 PM

Does anybody think that it could be virus related?

On my home PC I'm getting a lot of worm attacks (mssql helkin) being detected.
May 22, 2007 5:19:55 PM

Quote:

No more pr0n for you!
May 22, 2007 5:22:44 PM

I love looking at the poll results. It's amazing how many "experts" there are out there who recommend solutions to a symptom without an in depth knowledge of the specific infrastructure, much less own this type of business.

It's quite amazing how much unsolicited free advice is available to businesses. I hear it every day: "you know what you should do" or "you should buy....." :roll: Just gotta roll with it and smile.
May 22, 2007 5:22:50 PM

Quote:
I thought I was the only one... IT IS BRUTAL!!!

Also, I've noticed a lot more double posting occurring as a result.

THIS IS A CUTTING EDGE TECH FORUM... AND THE SERVERS STINK... THE IRONY. :roll:

It is quite a bit slower the last week or so to the point of freezing up and there are a lot of double posts showing up as well.
May 22, 2007 5:23:28 PM

Why create a thread about this? There is nothing we, the users, can do about it.

Since none of us can actually see where the bottleneck is, how can we make any recommendations? For example, if the network bandwidth is the bottleneck, then new hard drives and/or a new server will have no effect.

I'd say report it and see what they can do, as that is their job.
May 22, 2007 5:24:49 PM

Quote:

No more pr0n for you!

I was talking about this SITE... unless exposed CPU pics count. :lol: 
May 22, 2007 5:25:31 PM

Quote:
I love looking at the poll results. It's amazing how many "experts" there are out there who recommend solutions to a symptom without an in depth knowledge of the specific infrastructure, much less own this type of business.

It's quite amazing how much unsolicited free advice is available to businesses. I hear it every day: "you know what you should do" or "you should buy....." :roll: Just gotta roll with it and smile.

Hey, you beat me to it. I'm glad someone agrees.
May 22, 2007 5:27:33 PM

Quote:
Why create a thread about this? There is nothing we, the users, can do about it.

Since none of us can actually see where the bottleneck is, how can we make any recommendations? For example, if the network bandwidth is the bottleneck, then new hard drives and/or a new server will have no effect.

I'd say report it and see what they can do, as that is their job.

I didn't start the thread... not to be a wise guy, but there is a "Post Reply" button at the bottom left... as opposed to replying directly to someone's post. 8)
May 22, 2007 5:30:57 PM

Quote:
I didn't start the thread... not to be a wise guy, but there is a "Post Reply" button at the bottom left... as opposed to replying directly to someone's post. 8)

Ok wise guy... :)  Yeah, after I saw your response, I thought I had hit Post Reply but hey, I goofed.
May 22, 2007 5:43:08 PM

It has been slow. Sometimes i just give up and close my window.
:?
May 22, 2007 5:43:44 PM

Quote:

Ok wise guy... :)  Yeah, after I saw your response, I thought I had hit Post Reply but hey, I goofed.

No problem, actually took me about 100 posts before I figured it out. :wink:
May 22, 2007 6:15:40 PM

@OP: Can you add an option to your poll:

Not enough information to troubleshoot
May 22, 2007 6:21:41 PM

The load times SUCK on THG. Abso fricken lootely. Do something about it. Company just took on a couple of million in working capital when Omid sold it. Get a grip and build a proper business.
May 22, 2007 6:23:47 PM

The lag monster roams these forumz.
May 22, 2007 6:26:03 PM

Quote:

Remember when they revamped the site and did away with the scrolling forumz, It was us (the member's) that got it back up and running. So PM fredi, jake, bigmac, or RC and let them know. :wink:
May 22, 2007 6:28:32 PM

Quote:

On my home connection, yes they seem to load as fast as everything else. I pull about 3800kbps on a connection rated for 5000kbps.
At work, on a T1, yes, but all sites load slow due to routing through VA for security.
Away...meh, varies. Right now,THG seems slower than other sites, but currently Im @ 178kbps, so everything is slow, in the airports on wireless, it seems to load as fast.

I have seem the freeze ups you speak of, but Ive had a theory for some time about those...I suspect they occur when someone is submitting a post. The times Ive seen the pauses occur, that was what I noted.
May 22, 2007 6:34:32 PM

Quote:

The problem is very simple though. Tom's get's revenue from advertising in the Forumz. It needs views to get the revenue. While the page loads freeze for as much as a whole minute at a time, many of us just look at other pages on other sites (some of which lead us into further explorations elsewhere), and spend less time here.

Some of the folks doing this find a great new site, and they don't come back.

That means less page views here, and less revenue.

This isn't some let's go faster and faster. It's just economics -- money in the bank stuff.
May 22, 2007 6:57:51 PM

I was gonna use his real pic but I think I might need to PM him for permission first. So I will stick with this one for now :lol: 
May 22, 2007 7:34:25 PM

The staff are currently upgrading the servers and the hard dries. Things like this could cause the site to be shut down, but for your posting pleasure the tech staff have left the site up.
May 22, 2007 7:39:28 PM

Great! :)  I'm not surprised they were already on the ball.
May 22, 2007 9:00:14 PM

Quote:
Where ya been? It is ninja appreciation week. Vern and Jack are also sporting an avatar from ninja's collection

Hey, even the Mighty Fudman is wearing his Ninja mask! :lol: 

Quote:

Tell me, when is Anne Rice writing your biography? And where do you find Wirgin Blood in this day and age unless you're at the Elementary School? And is all that stuff with the stake through the heart and silver bullet really true, or would just a conventional .357 Magnum take ya out? :twisted:

Add my vote. This site is VERY slow but it's sporadic. It's mostly pretty good but there are some times when it's molasses city.
!