Installing Quake2

Last response: in Video Games
October 31, 2004 2:13:25 PM

Hello --

I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just won't
install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Paul

More about : installing quake2

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 2:52:42 PM

"Paul Breslin" <pbreslin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello --
>
> I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
won't
> install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Paul

why can't you install? language problem? anyway, just follow the manual
install instructions in the agq2 faq in my sig and you'll be up and running.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 11:15:43 PM

Looks like Q2 will install on WIN 95, 98 and NT - I was trying to install on
a machine running XP.
Paul

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> "Paul Breslin" <pbreslin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Hello --
> >
> > I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
> won't
> > install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any
suggestions?
> > Thanks,
> > Paul
> >

> why can't you install? language problem? anyway, just follow the manual
> install instructions in the agq2 faq in my sig and you'll be up and
running.

> --
>
> Margolis

http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 6:18:26 AM

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

> Paul Breslin wrote:
> | Hello --
> |
> | I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
> won't
> | install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any
> suggestions?
> | Thanks,
> | Paul
>
> The Quake 2 discount version I have says on the back that Quake 2
> doesn't work with windows XP. That's fine with me, I prefer Windows 98
> SE anyway :-)

[snip]

Dunno man, I run Quake2 on XP with no problems. Lots of people do.

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

> Looks like Q2 will install on WIN 95, 98 and NT - I was trying to install
on
> a machine running XP.
> Paul

Q2 installs and runs fine on XP. Exactly what happens when you try to
install?

Bob
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:18:31 AM

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

> The Quake 2 discount version I have says on the back that Quake 2
> doesn't work with windows XP. That's fine with me, I prefer Windows 98
> SE anyway :-)
>
> Maybe you want a multi-boot system with 98SE (on a small primary
> partion) and XP (rest of your hd).

It has some problems with some setups installing under win2k/xp. But the
game runs perfectly fine on any and all windows 32bit os's.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:48:16 PM

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

> Paul Breslin wrote:
> | Hello --
> |
> | I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
> won't
> | install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any
> suggestions?
> | Thanks,
> | Paul
>
> The Quake 2 discount version I have says on the back that Quake 2
> doesn't work with windows XP. That's fine with me, I prefer Windows 98
> SE anyway :-)

What the hell is the discount version?
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 10:21:06 AM

"OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What the hell is the discount version?

I would imagine that it is the full retail version that is now being sold in
a jewel case only for $4.99 that you find on the discount pallets at places
like compusa.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 4:47:05 AM

Find the 'Data' Directory on the Quake 2 CD, inside is what's copied to your
HDD, just drag it over where you want it.

"Paul Breslin" <pbreslin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello --
>
> I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
> won't
> install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Paul

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 4:34:08 PM

Ivan Konash wrote:
> Find the 'Data' Directory on the Quake 2 CD, inside is what's copied
to your
> HDD, just drag it over where you want it.
>

> "Paul Breslin" <pbreslin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Hello --
> >
> > I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It
just
> > won't
> > install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any
suggestions?
> > Thanks,
> > Paul

June 7, 2005 4:34:08 PM

Had to install on my Win98 system then copied over to Win2K system. The
installation spat out some errors right before the installation started.

"Paul Breslin" <pbreslin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello --
>
> I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
won't
> install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Paul

June 9, 2005 12:11:42 AM

DJ wrote:
> Had to install on my Win98 system then copied over to Win2K system. The
> installation spat out some errors right before the installation started.
>
> "Paul Breslin" <pbreslin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hello --
>>
>>I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
>
> won't
>
>>install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any suggestions?
>>Thanks,
>>Paul

ok this what you do...a manual install

The following are the instructions for manually installing the game,
there is a maximum, medium, and minimum install.

# Manual install - Maximum
1) Click on START / Programs / MS-DOS Prompt
2) In the DOS Session type the following:

cd\(press the Enter key)
md quake2 (press the Enter key)
cd\quake2 (press the Enter key)
xcopy d:\install\data\*.* /s/e/v (press the Enter key)

3) After it's done copying the files, type "Exit" and then press the
Enter key. You should now be back in Windows.
4) Now Double-click on the My Computer icon, then your C: drive and then
the "Quake2" folder.
5) Right-click on the file called: Quake2.exe (it will look like a white
window with a blue title bar at the top) from the menu that pops up,
choose "Copy".
6) Now close all the windows and right-click on the Desktop of Windows
and select "Paste Shortcut".
7) Next, right-click on the "Shortcut to Quake2" and choose
"Properties". Click on the "Shortcut" tab at the top.
8) In the section that says "Target", add the following to the end of
the line (after adding a space):

+set cddir D:\install\data +set basedir C:\QUAKE2

It should look like this when you're done:

C:\Quake2\quake2.exe +set cddir D:\install\data +set basedir C:\QUAKE2

9) Click on "Apply" and then "Ok"
10) To run Quake 2, double-click on the "Shortcut to Quake2" icon.

# Manual install - Medium (225 MB)
1) Open Windows Explorer, then open your hard drive. Make a new folder
on the root of your hard drive (eg QUAKE2).
2) Open the Quake2 folder and create a subfolder called BASEQ2.
3) Open the CD-ROM drive with Explorer to browse the contents of the
Quake2 CD. Open the Install folder, then the data folder.
4) Copy ALL the contents of the DATA folder EXCEPT THE BASEQ2 Folder
into the other one on your hard drive (which you previously created).
5) Open the BASEQ2 folder on the CD and copy ALL the files located there
(EXCEPT THE VIDEO FOLDER) to the BASEQ2 folder on your C: drive.
6) Right-click on the Quake2.exe file (the one located on your hard
drive) and select Create Shortcut.
7) Right-click on this new shortcut and select Properties > Shortcut >
and under target add:

+set cddir y:\install\data +set basedir x:\zzzzzzz

(Where Y is the CD-ROM drive letter you installed from and X is the
drive you installed to. Zzzzzz represents the folder you copied the game
to on your hard drive)

For example: If you copied the files to your C:\Quake2 folder, then your
shortcut should look like this:

C:\Quake2\Quake2.exe +set cddir c:\quake2 +set basedir c:\quake2

8) Click on Apply, then OK. Double-click on this shortcut to run the game.

# Manual install - Minimum
1) Open Windows explorer, then open your hard drive. Make a new folder
on the root of your hard drive (eg QUAKE2).
2) Open the Quake2 folder and create a subfolder called BASEQ2.
3) Open the CD-ROM drive with Explorer to browse the contents of the
Quake2 CD. Open the Install folder, then the data folder.
4) Copy ALL the contents of the DATA folder EXCEPT THE BASEQ2 Folder
into the other one on your hard drive (which you previously created).
5) Open the BASEQ2 folder on the CD and copy ONLY the Players folder,
and GAMEX86.DLL to the BASEQ2 folder onto your C: drive.
6) Right-click on the Quake2.exe file (the one located on your hard
drive) and select Create Shortcut.
7) Right-click on this new shortcut and select Properties > Shortcut >
and under target add:

+set cddir y:\install\data +set basedir x:\zzzzzzz

(Where Y the CD-ROM drive letter you installed from and X is the drive
you installed to. Zzzzzz represents the folder you copied the game to on
your hard drive)

For example: If you copied the files to your C:\Quake2 folder, then your
shortcut should look like this---

C:\Quake2\Quake2.exe +set cddir d:\install\data +set basedir c:\quake2

8) Click on Apply, then OK. Double-click on this shortcut to run the game.

enjoy

Rob
June 9, 2005 12:11:43 AM

there is NO NEED to run the installation, all data is easily accessible on
the CD.

browse the content of the Quake 2 CD with explorer, go into the folder
"Install" and then into the folder "Data" inside "Install".
All you need is there. Create a folder on you HD where you want your Quake 2
directory to be, the copy everything you find in the Data folder into your
Quake 2 directory, complete with all subfolders.

You might install the 3.20 patch after that. Then you can run Quake 2 by
starting the quake2.exe.
But it is NOT necessary to run the install exe on the CD !

> [...]
> 5) Open the BASEQ2 folder on the CD and copy ONLY the Players folder,
> and GAMEX86.DLL to the BASEQ2 folder onto your C: drive.
> 6) Right-click on the Quake2.exe file (the one located on your hard
> drive) and select Create Shortcut.
> 7) Right-click on this new shortcut and select Properties > Shortcut >
> and under target add:
>
> +set cddir y:\install\data +set basedir x:\zzzzzzz
>
> (Where Y the CD-ROM drive letter you installed from and X is the drive
> you installed to. Zzzzzz represents the folder you copied the game to on
> your hard drive)
>
> For example: If you copied the files to your C:\Quake2 folder, then your
> shortcut should look like this---
>
> C:\Quake2\Quake2.exe +set cddir d:\install\data +set basedir c:\quake2
>
> 8) Click on Apply, then OK. Double-click on this shortcut to run the game.

June 10, 2005 1:12:04 PM

Grieve wrote on 6/8/2005 8:52 AM:
> there is NO NEED to run the installation, all data is easily accessible on
> the CD.
>
> browse the content of the Quake 2 CD with explorer, go into the folder
> "Install" and then into the folder "Data" inside "Install".
> All you need is there. Create a folder on you HD where you want your Quake 2
> directory to be, the copy everything you find in the Data folder into your
> Quake 2 directory, complete with all subfolders.
>
> You might install the 3.20 patch after that. Then you can run Quake 2 by
> starting the quake2.exe.
> But it is NOT necessary to run the install exe on the CD !

I will second that and say that I have done the copy and it works fine.

Jim
!