Installing Quake2

Hello --

I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just won't
install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Paul
14 answers Last reply
More about installing quake2

    "Paul Breslin" <pbreslin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Hello --
    >
    > I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
    won't
    > install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any suggestions?
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    why can't you install? language problem? anyway, just follow the manual
    install instructions in the agq2 faq in my sig and you'll be up and running.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    Looks like Q2 will install on WIN 95, 98 and NT - I was trying to install on
    a machine running XP.
    Paul

    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

    > Paul Breslin wrote:
    > | Hello --
    > |
    > | I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
    > won't
    > | install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any
    > suggestions?
    > | Thanks,
    > | Paul
    >
    > The Quake 2 discount version I have says on the back that Quake 2
    > doesn't work with windows XP. That's fine with me, I prefer Windows 98
    > SE anyway :-)

    [snip]

    Dunno man, I run Quake2 on XP with no problems. Lots of people do.

    --
    Cycho{HHR}
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

    > Looks like Q2 will install on WIN 95, 98 and NT - I was trying to install
    on
    > a machine running XP.
    > Paul

    Q2 installs and runs fine on XP. Exactly what happens when you try to
    install?

    Bob

    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

    > The Quake 2 discount version I have says on the back that Quake 2
    > doesn't work with windows XP. That's fine with me, I prefer Windows 98
    > SE anyway :-)
    >
    > Maybe you want a multi-boot system with 98SE (on a small primary
    > partion) and XP (rest of your hd).

    It has some problems with some setups installing under win2k/xp. But the
    game runs perfectly fine on any and all windows 32bit os's.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

    > Paul Breslin wrote:
    > | Hello --
    > |
    > | I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
    > won't
    > | install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any
    > suggestions?
    > | Thanks,
    > | Paul
    >
    > The Quake 2 discount version I have says on the back that Quake 2
    > doesn't work with windows XP. That's fine with me, I prefer Windows 98
    > SE anyway :-)

    What the hell is the discount version?

    "OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > What the hell is the discount version?

    I would imagine that it is the full retail version that is now being sold in
    a jewel case only for $4.99 that you find on the discount pallets at places
    like compusa.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    Find the 'Data' Directory on the Quake 2 CD, inside is what's copied to your
    HDD, just drag it over where you want it.

    Ivan Konash wrote:
    > Find the 'Data' Directory on the Quake 2 CD, inside is what's copied
    to your
    > HDD, just drag it over where you want it.
    >

    > "Paul Breslin" <pbreslin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > Hello --
    > >
    > > I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It
    just
    > > won't
    > > install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any
    suggestions?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paul

    Had to install on my Win98 system then copied over to Win2K system. The
    installation spat out some errors right before the installation started.

    DJ wrote:
    > Had to install on my Win98 system then copied over to Win2K system. The
    > installation spat out some errors right before the installation started.
    >
    > "Paul Breslin" <pbreslin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello --
    >>
    >>I am trying to install Quake 2 on a Sony Pentium 4 computer. It just
    >
    > won't
    >
    >>install. I can play it from the CD but cannot install. Any suggestions?
    >>Thanks,
    >>Paul

    ok this what you do...a manual install

    The following are the instructions for manually installing the game,
    there is a maximum, medium, and minimum install.

    # Manual install - Maximum
    1) Click on START / Programs / MS-DOS Prompt
    2) In the DOS Session type the following:

    cd\(press the Enter key)
    md quake2 (press the Enter key)
    cd\quake2 (press the Enter key)
    xcopy d:\install\data\*.* /s/e/v (press the Enter key)

    3) After it's done copying the files, type "Exit" and then press the
    Enter key. You should now be back in Windows.
    4) Now Double-click on the My Computer icon, then your C: drive and then
    the "Quake2" folder.
    5) Right-click on the file called: Quake2.exe (it will look like a white
    window with a blue title bar at the top) from the menu that pops up,
    choose "Copy".
    6) Now close all the windows and right-click on the Desktop of Windows
    and select "Paste Shortcut".
    7) Next, right-click on the "Shortcut to Quake2" and choose
    "Properties". Click on the "Shortcut" tab at the top.
    8) In the section that says "Target", add the following to the end of
    the line (after adding a space):

    +set cddir D:\install\data +set basedir C:\QUAKE2

    It should look like this when you're done:

    C:\Quake2\quake2.exe +set cddir D:\install\data +set basedir C:\QUAKE2

    9) Click on "Apply" and then "Ok"
    10) To run Quake 2, double-click on the "Shortcut to Quake2" icon.

    # Manual install - Medium (225 MB)
    1) Open Windows Explorer, then open your hard drive. Make a new folder
    on the root of your hard drive (eg QUAKE2).
    2) Open the Quake2 folder and create a subfolder called BASEQ2.
    3) Open the CD-ROM drive with Explorer to browse the contents of the
    Quake2 CD. Open the Install folder, then the data folder.
    4) Copy ALL the contents of the DATA folder EXCEPT THE BASEQ2 Folder
    into the other one on your hard drive (which you previously created).
    5) Open the BASEQ2 folder on the CD and copy ALL the files located there
    (EXCEPT THE VIDEO FOLDER) to the BASEQ2 folder on your C: drive.
    6) Right-click on the Quake2.exe file (the one located on your hard
    drive) and select Create Shortcut.
    7) Right-click on this new shortcut and select Properties > Shortcut >
    and under target add:

    +set cddir y:\install\data +set basedir x:\zzzzzzz

    (Where Y is the CD-ROM drive letter you installed from and X is the
    drive you installed to. Zzzzzz represents the folder you copied the game
    to on your hard drive)

    For example: If you copied the files to your C:\Quake2 folder, then your
    shortcut should look like this:

    C:\Quake2\Quake2.exe +set cddir c:\quake2 +set basedir c:\quake2

    8) Click on Apply, then OK. Double-click on this shortcut to run the game.

    # Manual install - Minimum
    1) Open Windows explorer, then open your hard drive. Make a new folder
    on the root of your hard drive (eg QUAKE2).
    2) Open the Quake2 folder and create a subfolder called BASEQ2.
    3) Open the CD-ROM drive with Explorer to browse the contents of the
    Quake2 CD. Open the Install folder, then the data folder.
    4) Copy ALL the contents of the DATA folder EXCEPT THE BASEQ2 Folder
    into the other one on your hard drive (which you previously created).
    5) Open the BASEQ2 folder on the CD and copy ONLY the Players folder,
    and GAMEX86.DLL to the BASEQ2 folder onto your C: drive.
    6) Right-click on the Quake2.exe file (the one located on your hard
    drive) and select Create Shortcut.
    7) Right-click on this new shortcut and select Properties > Shortcut >
    and under target add:

    +set cddir y:\install\data +set basedir x:\zzzzzzz

    (Where Y the CD-ROM drive letter you installed from and X is the drive
    you installed to. Zzzzzz represents the folder you copied the game to on
    your hard drive)

    For example: If you copied the files to your C:\Quake2 folder, then your
    shortcut should look like this---

    C:\Quake2\Quake2.exe +set cddir d:\install\data +set basedir c:\quake2

    8) Click on Apply, then OK. Double-click on this shortcut to run the game.

    enjoy

    Rob

    there is NO NEED to run the installation, all data is easily accessible on
    the CD.

    browse the content of the Quake 2 CD with explorer, go into the folder
    "Install" and then into the folder "Data" inside "Install".
    All you need is there. Create a folder on you HD where you want your Quake 2
    directory to be, the copy everything you find in the Data folder into your
    Quake 2 directory, complete with all subfolders.

    You might install the 3.20 patch after that. Then you can run Quake 2 by
    starting the quake2.exe.
    But it is NOT necessary to run the install exe on the CD !

    Grieve wrote on 6/8/2005 8:52 AM:
    > there is NO NEED to run the installation, all data is easily accessible on
    > the CD.
    >
    > browse the content of the Quake 2 CD with explorer, go into the folder
    > "Install" and then into the folder "Data" inside "Install".
    > All you need is there. Create a folder on you HD where you want your Quake 2
    > directory to be, the copy everything you find in the Data folder into your
    > Quake 2 directory, complete with all subfolders.
    >
    > You might install the 3.20 patch after that. Then you can run Quake 2 by
    > starting the quake2.exe.
    > But it is NOT necessary to run the install exe on the CD !

    I will second that and say that I have done the copy and it works fine.

    Jim

Games Video Games