Explorer Default Location

May 23, 2005 11:26:07 AM

I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at the Doucuments
and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.

Can I change that to a "useful" folder!
--
Jim
Anonymous

Change the target for the short cut to
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\
To open to C:\

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at the
>Doucuments
> and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.
>
> Can I change that to a "useful" folder!
> --
> Jim
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:01:59 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:26:07 -0700, Jim wrote:

> I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at the Doucuments
> and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.
>
> Can I change that to a "useful" folder!

No, sorry. The start button is a graphical representation of various start
menu folders. So when you right click/Explore at this location, the start
menu folders are what Explorer displays.

You could create an Explorer shortcut pointing to a useful folder. Create a
shortcut for Explorer.exe and customize the target line. For example:
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,c:\somefolder

will open Explorer with the focus on somefolder.

Another shortcut: Press Windows key +E to quickly launch Explorer.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at
>the Doucuments
> and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.
>
> Can I change that to a "useful" folder!
> --
> Jim

And that "useful" folder would be?

Since you didn't provide that info, you might want to take a look
at these articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856&sd=tech

It's a simple matter of right clicking the Windows Explorer icon,
selecting Properties and changing what's entered in the Target
line on the Shortcut tab. For instance, entering the following in
the Target line will cause Explorer to open to your C drive:

%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,C:\

If you want, you can create additional shortcuts to explorer.exe
opening in additional locations.

Nepatsfan
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 4:16:14 PM

When right clicking the Start button and selecting Explore, you are not
opening Windows Explorer per se. You are opening a Start Menu folder.

You have four choices of how to open two folders; Open, Explore, Open
All Users and Explore All Users. These are just shortcuts to the two
folders.

The two folders are
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
and
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu

The Your Name Here folder is the Start Menu folder for whoever happens to be
logged on, i.e. the Current User.

Open All Users opens C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu with the
Common Tasks pane showing.

Explore All Users opens C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu with
the Folders pane displayed.

Clicking on Open, opens C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu
with the Common Tasks pane showing.

Clicking on Explore, opens C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start
Menu with the Folders pane displayed.

You can not change any of this on the Start button menu.

The Start button right click menu contains:
Open
Explore
Properties
Open All Users
Explore All Users
And others depending on what software you have installed.

How any folder opens depends on how different options are set on your
machine. Basically Open will open a folder with Common Tasks displayed and
Explore will open a folder with the Folder Pane displayed.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:79D59E58-95F5-4823-96D0-60711CFCF003@microsoft.com,
Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at the
> Doucuments and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.
>
> Can I change that to a "useful" folder!
> --
> Jim
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:04:22 AM

When we use Windows Key + E it opens my computer..
how to change it default folder for example, i want to open
c:\my_pictures folder when i press Windows Key+E, then how to do it.??
thanks in advance
krunal
news:o nyiBf6XFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:26:07 -0700, Jim wrote:
>
>> I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at the
>> Doucuments
>> and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.
>>
>> Can I change that to a "useful" folder!
>
> No, sorry. The start button is a graphical representation of various start
> menu folders. So when you right click/Explore at this location, the start
> menu folders are what Explorer displays.
>
> You could create an Explorer shortcut pointing to a useful folder. Create
> shortcut for Explorer.exe and customize the target line. For example:
> C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,c:\somefolder
>
> will open Explorer with the focus on somefolder.
>
> Another shortcut: Press Windows key +E to quickly launch Explorer.
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:04:23 AM

I use Ctrl + Alt + E.

Create the shortcut that you want to open Windows Explorer then assign a
shortcut key to that shortcut.

Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
[[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start
with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the
key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot
use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.

Note
Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you will
not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o OCPQY8XFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> When we use Windows Key + E it opens my computer..
> how to change it default folder for example, i want to open
> c:\my_pictures folder when i press Windows Key+E, then how to do it.??
> thanks in advance
> krunal
> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o nyiBf6XFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:26:07 -0700, Jim wrote:
>>
>>> I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at the
>>> Doucuments
>>> and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.
>>>
>>> Can I change that to a "useful" folder!
>>
>> No, sorry. The start button is a graphical representation of various
>> start menu folders. So when you right click/Explore at this location,
>> the start menu folders are what Explorer displays.
>>
>> You could create an Explorer shortcut pointing to a useful folder. Create
>> shortcut for Explorer.exe and customize the target line. For example:
>> C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,c:\somefolder
>>
>> will open Explorer with the focus on somefolder.
>>
>> Another shortcut: Press Windows key +E to quickly launch Explorer.
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:27:06 PM

On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:04:22 +0530, ~Krunal wrote:

> When we use Windows Key + E it opens my computer..
> how to change it default folder for example, i want to open
> c:\my_pictures folder when i press Windows Key+E, then how to do it.??
> thanks in advance

The built-in keyboard shortcut has a built-in target. You can create a
hotkey for a folder though. First create a shortcut to the folder. Place
that shortcut on the desktop or in the Start Menu. For this to work, it has
to be in one of those two places.

Once the shortcut is placed, right click on it and select Properties. On
the "Shortcut" page there is a box where you can assign a "shortcut key"
for this item. Check in Help and Support for more details about this
process and about recommended key combos to use and those that should be
avoided.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

thanks

But how to create shortcut key....

krunal

>I use Ctrl + Alt + E.
>
> Create the shortcut that you want to open Windows Explorer then assign a
> shortcut key to that shortcut.
>
> Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
> [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
> start
> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
> the
> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
> cannot
> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.
>
> Note
> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
> will
> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:o OCPQY8XFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> ~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> When we use Windows Key + E it opens my computer..
>> how to change it default folder for example, i want to open
>> c:\my_pictures folder when i press Windows Key+E, then how to do it.??
>> thanks in advance
>> krunal
>> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o nyiBf6XFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

>>> No, sorry. The start button is a graphical representation of various
>>> start menu folders. So when you right click/Explore at this location,
>>> the start menu folders are what Explorer displays.
>>>
>>> You could create an Explorer shortcut pointing to a useful folder.
>>> Create
>>> shortcut for Explorer.exe and customize the target line. For example:
>>> C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,c:\somefolder
>>>
>>> will open Explorer with the focus on somefolder.
>>>
>>> Another shortcut: Press Windows key +E to quickly launch Explorer.
>>> --
>>> Sharon F
>>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:44:59 PM

In news:%23LPtDUBYFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> thanks
>
> But how to create shortcut key....
>
> krunal

>> I use Ctrl + Alt + E.
>>
>> Create the shortcut that you want to open Windows Explorer then assign a
>> shortcut key to that shortcut.
>>
>> Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
>> [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
>> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
>> start
>> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
>> the
>> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
>> cannot
>> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE
>> keys.
>>
>> Note
>> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
>> will
>> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:o OCPQY8XFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> ~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> When we use Windows Key + E it opens my computer..
>>> how to change it default folder for example, i want to open
>>> c:\my_pictures folder when i press Windows Key+E, then how to do it.??
>>> thanks in advance
>>> krunal
>>> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> news:o nyiBf6XFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:03:13 PM

i've done it..
thank you

news:o 1UKt$HYFHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
> [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
> start
> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
> the
> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
> cannot
> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.
>
> Note
> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
> will
> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23LPtDUBYFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> ~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> thanks
>>
>> But how to create shortcut key....
>>
>> krunal

>>> I use Ctrl + Alt + E.
>>>
>>> Create the shortcut that you want to open Windows Explorer then assign a
>>> shortcut key to that shortcut.
>>>
>>> Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
>>> [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
>>> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
>>> start
>>> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
>>> the
>>> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
>>> cannot
>>> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE
>>> keys.
>>>
>>> Note
>>> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
>>> will
>>> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
>>>

>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User