Explorer Default Location

I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at the Doucuments
and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.

Can I change that to a "useful" folder!
--
Jim
11 answers Last reply

    Change the target for the short cut to
    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\
    To open to C:\

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:26:07 -0700, Jim wrote:

    > I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at the Doucuments
    > and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.
    >
    > Can I change that to a "useful" folder!

    No, sorry. The start button is a graphical representation of various start
    menu folders. So when you right click/Explore at this location, the start
    menu folders are what Explorer displays.

    You could create an Explorer shortcut pointing to a useful folder. Create a
    shortcut for Explorer.exe and customize the target line. For example:
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,c:\somefolder

    will open Explorer with the focus on somefolder.

    Another shortcut: Press Windows key +E to quickly launch Explorer.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at
    >the Doucuments
    > and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.
    >
    > Can I change that to a "useful" folder!
    > --
    > Jim

    And that "useful" folder would be?

    Since you didn't provide that info, you might want to take a look
    at these articles:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856&sd=tech

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prde_ffs_gkge.asp

    It's a simple matter of right clicking the Windows Explorer icon,
    selecting Properties and changing what's entered in the Target
    line on the Shortcut tab. For instance, entering the following in
    the Target line will cause Explorer to open to your C drive:

    %systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,C:\

    If you want, you can create additional shortcuts to explorer.exe
    opening in additional locations.

    Nepatsfan

    When right clicking the Start button and selecting Explore, you are not
    opening Windows Explorer per se. You are opening a Start Menu folder.

    You have four choices of how to open two folders; Open, Explore, Open
    All Users and Explore All Users. These are just shortcuts to the two
    folders.

    The two folders are
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    and
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu

    The Your Name Here folder is the Start Menu folder for whoever happens to be
    logged on, i.e. the Current User.

    Open All Users opens C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu with the
    Common Tasks pane showing.

    Explore All Users opens C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu with
    the Folders pane displayed.

    Clicking on Open, opens C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu
    with the Common Tasks pane showing.

    Clicking on Explore, opens C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start
    Menu with the Folders pane displayed.

    You can not change any of this on the Start button menu.

    The Start button right click menu contains:
    Open
    Explore
    Properties
    Open All Users
    Explore All Users
    And others depending on what software you have installed.

    How any folder opens depends on how different options are set on your
    machine. Basically Open will open a folder with Common Tasks displayed and
    Explore will open a folder with the Folder Pane displayed.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:79D59E58-95F5-4823-96D0-60711CFCF003@microsoft.com,
    Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at the
    > Doucuments and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.
    >
    > Can I change that to a "useful" folder!
    > --
    > Jim

    When we use Windows Key + E it opens my computer..
    how to change it default folder for example, i want to open
    c:\my_pictures folder when i press Windows Key+E, then how to do it.??
    thanks in advance
    krunal
    > On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:26:07 -0700, Jim wrote:
    >
    >> I right-click Start and open Explorer and it opens Explorer at the
    >> Doucuments
    >> and Settings/user/Start Menu folder.
    >>
    >> Can I change that to a "useful" folder!
    >
    > No, sorry. The start button is a graphical representation of various start
    > menu folders. So when you right click/Explore at this location, the start
    > menu folders are what Explorer displays.
    >
    > You could create an Explorer shortcut pointing to a useful folder. Create
    > shortcut for Explorer.exe and customize the target line. For example:
    > C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,c:\somefolder
    >
    > will open Explorer with the focus on somefolder.
    >
    > Another shortcut: Press Windows key +E to quickly launch Explorer.
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I use Ctrl + Alt + E.

    Create the shortcut that you want to open Windows Explorer then assign a
    shortcut key to that shortcut.

    Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
    [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
    want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start
    with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the
    key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot
    use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.

    Note
    Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you will
    not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OOCPQY8XFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    ~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:04:22 +0530, ~Krunal wrote:

    > When we use Windows Key + E it opens my computer..
    > how to change it default folder for example, i want to open
    > c:\my_pictures folder when i press Windows Key+E, then how to do it.??
    > thanks in advance

    The built-in keyboard shortcut has a built-in target. You can create a
    hotkey for a folder though. First create a shortcut to the folder. Place
    that shortcut on the desktop or in the Start Menu. For this to work, it has
    to be in one of those two places.

    Once the shortcut is placed, right click on it and select Properties. On
    the "Shortcut" page there is a box where you can assign a "shortcut key"
    for this item. Check in Help and Support for more details about this
    process and about recommended key combos to use and those that should be
    avoided.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    thanks

    But how to create shortcut key....

    krunal

    In news:%23LPtDUBYFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    ~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > thanks
    >
    > But how to create shortcut key....
    >
    > krunal

    >> I use Ctrl + Alt + E.
    >>
    >> Create the shortcut that you want to open Windows Explorer then assign a
    >> shortcut key to that shortcut.
    >>
    >> Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
    >> [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
    >> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
    >> start
    >> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
    >> the
    >> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
    >> cannot
    >> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE
    >> keys.
    >>
    >> Note
    >> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
    >> will
    >> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:OOCPQY8XFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> ~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> When we use Windows Key + E it opens my computer..
    >>> how to change it default folder for example, i want to open
    >>> c:\my_pictures folder when i press Windows Key+E, then how to do it.??
    >>> thanks in advance
    >>> krunal
    >>> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

    i've done it..
    thank you

    > Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
    > [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
    > want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
    > start
    > with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
    > the
    > key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
    > cannot
    > use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.
    >
    > Note
    > Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
    > will
    > not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:%23LPtDUBYFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > ~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> But how to create shortcut key....
    >>
    >> krunal

    >>> I use Ctrl + Alt + E.
    >>>
    >>> Create the shortcut that you want to open Windows Explorer then assign a
    >>> shortcut key to that shortcut.
    >>>
    >>> Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
    >>> [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
    >>> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
    >>> start
    >>> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
    >>> the
    >>> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
    >>> cannot
    >>> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE
    >>> keys.
    >>>
    >>> Note
    >>> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
    >>> will
    >>> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:OOCPQY8XFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >>> ~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    Glad to hear it. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eTQBuwaYFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    ~Krunal <krunal83@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > i've done it..
    > thank you

    >> Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
    >> [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
    >> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
    >> start
    >> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
    >> the
    >> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
    >> cannot
    >> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE
    >> keys.
    >>
    >> Note
    >> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
    >> will
    >> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User