Recovery Console does not detect hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobom

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
So I had a failed boot with following message: "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" :fou:
Additional message said to fix with recovery console from XP installation disk.
I did that and Recovery fails because hard drive not detected. I went into bios configuration and no listing of primary ide enabled. What should I do? I checked all the connections and everything is connected. How can I bring my hard drive on line for a recovery? THanks in advance.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
are you sure your hdd is IDE rather then SATA? also have you got an array or anything like that? if the answer is yes then you might have to load up device drivers when you load the WinXP CD.bit of a pain since WinXP doesn't automatically detect all SATA drives(or SATA drives...).
Assuming that your HDD is SATA, you have to have the motherboard's SATA driver on a floppy, load WinXP and when its preloading the drivers press F6 when prompted. You should be able to load the drivers from the floppy and allow winXP to view your HDD.

mobom

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007

My error. It's a SATA drive. I'll try loading the driver as you suggest. Thanks.

mobom

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007

HHoly feck!! I got it to boot. An F6 started bringing up message about a SCSCI driver which threw me off but went ahead anyway. The Recovery program asked for admin password which I screwed up 3x :heink: and had to reboot system. On reboot, the OS loaded. :sol:

I gotta do some serious planning for these kinds of system foul ups from now on....Had been a lazy idiot when I installed..... Thanks all for your information. :hello:

Status
Not open for further replies.