Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Duel booting windows 7 and a version of linux

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 7, 2012 1:13:18 AM

i'm planing on ordering parts for my new build in the next feqw weeks and I've always wanted to use linux. this would be my first time using a form of linux. so my questions are:

How do i duel boot windows 7 and a version of linux?
How does linux compare to windows 7 in terms of internet browsing and day to day tasks?
Do i need to know any programming to use linux.
What is the best website/retailer to get a copy?
What is the best version of linux?

Thanks for all the input,
JJ

More about : duel booting windows version linux

Best solution

a b 5 Linux
February 7, 2012 1:43:53 AM

jjd712 said:
How do i duel boot windows 7 and a version of linux?

There are hundreds, probably thousands of tutorials if you just Google this. My only advice is that you install Windows before you install Linux. But again, Google will help with this; no need for me to re-invent the wheel.

jjd712 said:
How does linux compare to windows 7 in terms of internet browsing and day to day tasks?

You shouldn't really notice any differences. Linux is completely capable of taking over your every day tasks relatively painlessly.

jjd712 said:
Do i need to know any programming to use linux.

Not at all! Scripting can come in handy (Bash/Shell), but it's 100% optional.

jjd712 said:
What is the best website/retailer to get a copy?

Depending on the distribution you choose, you can download an *.iso directly from the project website. You can then burn this image to either a CD and install using that, or use a utility such as Unetbootin to create a bootable USB stick capable of installing the OS.

jjd712 said:
What is the best version of linux?

There isn't one! There's a lot of factors that determine which distribution is more or less suitable for a given person, which is the reason there's thousands of distributions. I generally suggest Mint (www.linuxmint.com) or Fedora (www.fedoraproject.org) for beginners, but you may want to use something else. www.distrowatch.org has a great list of distributions by popularity.

Good luck!
a b 5 Linux
February 7, 2012 9:07:15 AM

You know Pyroflea, we need a dual booting sticky eh?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b 5 Linux
February 7, 2012 9:16:34 AM

How do I dual boot OS X and IDM on my PC?
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 7, 2012 2:48:40 PM

*Cheers*

:D 
m
l
February 7, 2012 9:29:56 PM

Best answer selected by jjd712.
m
l