Cannot log on to Vista ultimate anymore! logon.scr screen error

Greetings all,

I'm having a terrible time with my ultimate Vista machine. It boots up and after a black screen appears for about 6 minutes finally the logon screen appears. I see the icons for both of the user accounts but when I click on them, nothing happens it does not allow me to enter a password. You can tell in the background its doing stuff. I've let it sit this way for a day.
I've also booted into safemode with the same event, except I get the logon.scr application failed to initialize properly, and then the screen goes black.

I've booted to the Vista cd, and ran a repair which told me I need to disconnect any camera or music devics (everything is disconnected)
I also restored to a very early point- still same problem
I've run memory diagnostic- still same problem- memory is ok.

I can't get into my machine! I really need help getting passed this.
6 answers Last reply
More about cannot vista ultimate anymore logon screen error
  1. You can try a repair install (NOT the Windows startup repair... an actual reinstall of Vista)... you'll have to Google Vista repair install to get instructions, as I don't remember how to do it off the top of my head.

If that doesn't work, then a reload is in order. Backing up your data will be problematic if you don't have access to another computer.
  2. Thanks Zoron, when I do this Vista repair install will it delete all of my files? or just reinstall the OS?

Anyone have any other ideas?
  3. The repair install will work like the XP repair install... but it's done a bit differently. Your data and programs will still be intact.
  4. Hmm looked up the instructions...says I need to be inside Vista in order to do this, this I can't get passed the stupid logon screen I can't get in to run the dvd
  5. Then it looks like a full reload is your only option at this point.
  6. Thanks Zoron, I ended up reinstalling Windows Vista over my current files. It saved all the files under windows.old so it wasnt too bad. I'm up and running again. Thanks for your help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Vista User Accounts