SLI'ing different brand names?

San

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2001
I have a PNY 8800GTS 640mb.
In case where I am forced to resort to use another brand for whatever reason, would it be possible to use another brand name 8800GTS 640mb card for SLI?

I don't know about PNY. I do remember reading on BFG's web site that you absolutely need the second card to be BFG if the first one is BFG. But then again, it's in their interest to say that... I'd avoid mixing brands, just in case.

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Don't worry. It'll work, I've done it before with two 7900 gt's. Even nVidia site says you can mix & match. Even with different OC'ed cards from different brands it works (it just lowers your speed to the slower card).

BFG just wants you to buy another BFG.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Don't worry. It'll work, I've done it before with two 7900 gt's. Even nVidia site says you can mix & match. Even with different OC'ed cards from different brands it works (it just lowers your speed to the slower card).

I dont know about that, from what I know it doesnt work like that. Then again I never built an SLI machine. i would ask around some more before going there.

San

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2001

Where in nvidia site did you read this? Could you link it please?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

yeah :x what he said...

Can you return the card and get a GTX instead? SLI doesn't really make sense as long as there is a more powerful card available. It won't double the performance of a single card, not even close in some cases (depending on game, resolution, amount of memory, etc.)

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
They are correct you can SLI cards from different manufactures. As long as they both have the same GPU on them. Such as a BFG 7900GTX with an EVGA 7900GTX. No matter if they are Overclocked or not. It will automatically default the cards to slowest cards clock speed. But you can not SLI lets say an EVGA 8800GTS with an BFG 8800GTX that won't work. Now i am not for 100% sure about the 8800 GTS and how they have 2 different releases with different memory on them. Just make sure to get the same card and you will be ok do not worry about brand.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
They are correct you can SLI cards from different manufactures. As long as they both have the same GPU on them. Such as a BFG 7900GTX with an EVGA 7900GTX. No matter if they are Overclocked or not. It will automatically default the cards to slowest cards clock speed. But you can not SLI lets say an EVGA 8800GTS with an BFG 8800GTX that won't work. Now i am not for 100% sure about the 8800 GTS and how they have 2 different releases with different memory on them. Just make sure to get the same card and you will be ok do not worry about brand.

Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Memory Sizes
Example: Using Coolbits, you can use a 128MB GeForce 6800 GT with a 256MB GeForce 6800 GT.

Its asking for trouble though

San

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2001

yeah :x what he said...

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_rel80.html

Awesome. Thank you.

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006

I dont know about that, from what I know it doesnt work like that. Then again I never built an SLI machine. i would ask around some more before going there.

I've build several, and it works. I had a XFX 7900 GT OC and an eVGA 7900 GT OC, both at different speeds. SLI worked fine.

But don't take my word for it:

"Next, you’ll want to grab a pair of SLI-Ready graphics cards. Remember, while you *can* choose 2 graphics cards from different manufacturers featuring different clock speeds, we *must* make sure that the GPU models are the same. For sake of symmetry, we chose 2 SLI-ready graphics cards from the same graphics card manufacturer. For this build, we chose 2 MSI graphics cards powered by a GeForce 7900 GT GPU – these are a great price/performance example, and within most gamers’ budgets."

-nVidia SLI Zone