New hardware found

Retired_bill

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I recently reinstalled my HP Photosmart 7450 printer. Now whenever I boot the computer I get the "found new hardware wizard'. The printer works fine. I can print a test page and I can print from my Word processing program and from every other app. I checked in the device manager and it says that the device is working properly. I have dome the following in trying to fix the problem;
1) I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it
2) I have uninstalled the printer from the device manager and reinstalled it when the "found new hardware wizard" came up
In each case, I used the CD that came with the printer to install the drivers.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the "found new hardware wizard" window / Its a nuisance.

Bill

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Without looking at your specs. Im guessing it is a USB device.
I have had this occur and this usually takes care of it.

goto device manager and find the device.
Unplug the device and then right click it and tell it to uninstall( sometimes vice versa)
Then with it unplugged reboot.
Then reboot once more.
At that point install the software, and then when it says to do it plug in the device.
Usb devices want the software first then the device.
Otherwise windows needs to supply a driver.

The trick is to tell windows about the device before it has to deal with it.

Importantly windows only gives basic functionality with the drivers they provide as compared drivers written for the device being used.

Retired_bill

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I followed your suggestions. Thank you very much. When I used the CD that came with the printer it told me to connect the printer and plug in the USB. I did this and went thru the installation. It had me connecy the printer and turn it on and then went thru the installation. At the end, it told me that there was a failure and the result was an incomplete installation. Everything works but I still get the "found new hardware" notice whenever I boot. I guess the problem is with the CD and I'll contact HP and see if they can get it resolved. Thank you very much for your help.

Bill

Retired_bill

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I went to the HP web site and downloaded the most version of the printer, installed it and lo and behold, the problem is cured. Thought you'd like to know.

Bill

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Glad to see you got it sorted out.
Now if only they would make a driver for a Deskjet 632C.
Ive only used it a handful of times and it has no Vista support.
The sad part is I have a laser jet 4 thats prolly 10 years older and they support that.
Go Figure!