What have i killed, help!!!

MichaelAbbott

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
well 2 yrs ago i made a desktop computer.

Athlon 3200
1GB ram
7800GT
WD 250GB

The Mobo is an Asus A8N-E

I recently decided to upgrade it to

Athlon X2 3800+
2GB Ram

I tried to remove the heatsink and the cpu popped off too, no prob hairdryer removed it fine. There was enough thermal compound on the heatsink so i just popped the new cpu in and all was fine.

i then replaced the ram. Only one stick though (1GB) just to test, as i dont know which socket to put the other in, BLUE and BLUE or BLUE and BLACK?

Windows xp booted fine, then hanged on the logon. This i thought is probably to do with the PSU only being 400W.

I've now replaced it with a 580W PSU (hiper) and now the fans, cd drive and HDD spin, but nothing is displayed on either screens (dual screen is so cool)

I've tested CPU and the ram. No change. Help Please.

I think it may be the Graphics card or MOBO but i have no way to test.

Please help

jaedaddy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
no beeps? or ringings?... try disconnecting one thing at a time especially the ram... although there should be beeps if ur ram is not being used correctly... also is ur video card hooked up correctly power plug/pci-e

jae
mlb

parkerkane

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
If I had to guess I'd say you missed a plug when you replaced the power supply. There should be two or three power plugs that go into the motherboard. The big one and two small ones. Sounds like you missed a small plug (trust me, it's easy to do)

When you remove the heatsink from the processor, the compound oxidizes and becomes more or less worthless and lumpy, uneven... basically, ineffective.

You need to remove the processor and clean it as well as the HSF and apply a fresh coat, thinly, then try again.

The symptoms you are experiencing coincide with heat related problems.

sturm

Splendid
Try a repair install.
When XP installs it will detect that you have gone from 1 cpu to 2 cpus and install the correct settings needed to run a dual cpu/core system.
Right now its set to run on only 1 cpu and probably doesnt like the switch.

Note when changing or removing heatsink. ALWAYS run the computer for a little bit before removing the heatsink. Helps soften the paste and you wont pull the cpu out of the socket.

MichaelAbbott

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
i cant see anything i've missed.

All 3 power sockets are plugged in to the motherbord.

The one PCI-E is plugged in

i've checked with the manual and the 1, 512 stick is mounted in the correct slot.

The fans power up (including the Graphics one) and all the drives work. There is no beep and no display. The Hdd light goes on constantly as the drive is accessesed than turns off after 30 secs.

this is soo annoying i whish i never tried to upgrade :(

This is incorrect.
XP supports the change to dual-core without issues. If there were a conflict of hardware (due to change or w/e) the most common issue is XP restarting itself over and over again.

There is no need to run a XP repair at this time, however, there looks to be heat related issues as I previously said.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Apply new thermal compound to the cpu and clear CMOS and try again. I can´t imagine heat being an issue so soon after startup, you should at least be able to reach POST, but yeah.. it´s still a good idea to fix that.

sturm

Splendid
I stand corrected. I was told that you need to reinstall. Did google search and you dont. Noted for future reference.

You should get a single post beep if everything is ok, unless they stopped doing that on newer boards.
Try removing the memory and see if you get a warning beep. If not then there is a problem with the cpu. If you do get a warning beep then reinstall memory and try removing video card to see if you get a warning beep.
Last try a different video card.

MichaelAbbott

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
i really dont think this problem is heat related.

And about the XP not supporting it, i'm not to worried right now.

Its that nothing comes up on the display at all, also there is no startup beep. Its really annoying as there is power going to everything and all seems to be working but there is no Beep or display.

The cpu isn't getting hot or anything like that as i've taken it out and it is only mildly warm.

Btw hoe do you clear the cmos

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
sorry, double post :oops:
You can reset the CMOS via a jumper on the MB. There should be a section in your MB manual explaining where it is and how to go about resetting it. Mostly it´s located near the battery and labeled something like CLRTC, and some fancy MB´s even have a handy switch. Should be pretty straightforward.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Try with original PSU. 400W will be fine if no 3D game running. You said it tried to start windows with original PSU, Try clearing CMOS and if display, check CPU identified correctly. If not, needs BIOS upgrade.

Mike.

MichaelAbbott

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
what i thought was a £100 upgrade to dual core and 2GB

So far has cost £165

It'll cost £70 for new mobo

Total £235

just stick to laptops lol

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Like i said a few posts up, there is a jumper labeled CLRTC or something similar on the Motherboard usually nera the bios battery.It's on the first two pins out of three. To reset CMOS you need to remove the jumper from pin 1+2 and put it on pin 2+3, leave it there for at least 10 seconds and put it back on pin 1+2 again. This should reset CMOS. After this you can start the computer and see if it at least gets you into the bios again.
This has always worked for me but there are a lot of people out there that also remove the plug from the powersupply and the battery from the motherboard.If you want to be ABSOLUTELY sure you've cleared it try it that way and see if it will startup again. Good luck!