Intel on AMD’s Barcelona: "Too Little Too Late"

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Pat Gelsinger, Senior VP/GM of Intel’s (INTC) Digital Enterprise group (i.e. CPUs), keynoted the JPMorgan Technology Investment conference yesterday, and as ususal, the really interesting bits were in the Q&A.

Pat commented that the new quad-core Barcelona from AMD (AMD) was “Too Little, Too Late when compared with Penryn”, and that at best it was a catch up effort by AMD.

8O Smack down! 8O

http://www.nyquistcapital.com/2007/05/22/intel-on-amds-barcelona-too-little-too-late/

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Pat Gelsinger, Senior VP/GM of Intel’s (INTC) Digital Enterprise group (i.e. CPUs), keynoted the JPMorgan Technology Investment conference yesterday, and as ususal, the really interesting bits were in the Q&A.

Pat commented that the new quad-core Barcelona from AMD (AMD) was “Too Little, Too Late when compared with Penryn”, and that at best it was a catch up effort by AMD.

8O Smack down! 8O

http://www.nyquistcapital.com/2007/05/22/intel-on-amds-barcelona-too-little-too-late/I hope they aren't being naive, and underestimating....as AMD did with C2D. :?

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Oh man, Did you ever start the flame wars with that one.

Time to sit back and watch the fur fly.

Don't kill the messenger... :lol:

All this talk about Intel respecting AMD's Barcy might be bogus. There appears to be an underlying arrogance/confidence (well founded or not... I'm not sure).

What are the odds Intel has the intel on Barcy?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

8O Smack down! 8O

http://www.nyquistcapital.com/2007/05/22/intel-on-amds-barcelona-too-little-too-late/I hope they aren't being naive, and underestimating....as AMD did with C2D. :?

I hope they are, because if they are right, barcy will suck, and no one wants that. :wink:

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Perfect opportunity for AMD to come back with a (real) killer benchmark to make him eat his words.

Of course ... the wont :roll:

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Oh man, Did you ever start the flame wars with that one.

Time to sit back and watch the fur fly.

Don't kill the messenger... :lol:

All this talk about Intel respecting AMD's Barcy might be bogus. There appears to be an underlying arrogance/confidence (well founded or not... I'm not sure).

What are the odds Intel has the intel on Barcy?

Somebody might (Baron) but not me.

"An underlying arrogance"?

That's an understatement the arrogance was right on top it sounded like.
Barcy isn't going to come close to Penryn so AMD is going to be eating our dust for years to come.

I expect Intel already has better intel on Barcy than what we have seen but I am sure Baron can clear that up when he finds his way over.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

8O Smack down! 8O

http://www.nyquistcapital.com/2007/05/22/intel-on-amds-barcelona-too-little-too-late/

How bout posting something thats not already common knowlege.
AMD has always been number 2 and will always be number 2 (except for 2003-06). AMD will continue to own the low end market only.

Excuse what mike? 8O

Can't conveniently locate the link right now, but I could swear this "too little, too late" and "catch-up effort" is almost verbatim what amd said about C2D over a year ago.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

8O Smack down! 8O

How bout posting something thats not already common knowlege.
AMD has always been number 2 and will always be number 2 (except for 2003-06). AMD will continue to own the low end market only.
Thus proving that you are a bellicose simian. At least you managed to prove one point.

KarmaKiller

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Is Mike´s ghost still arround this forum? IT´S COURSED! RUN FOR YOUR LIFES!!!!

Anyway, what a lousy coment has Mrs. Bytch done. AMD had it´s moments before 2003... does anyone remember 586 PR-75, K6-3D, even Athlon XP for god´s sake?

It doesn´t matter if AMD doesn´t win NOW or in the next 5 years, it will still have it´s moments of glory. And it´s great AMD can have its moments to avoid getting out of bussiness (note for instructed, talking & tipying monkeys ahead: THAT IS GOOD! 8O )

Plus, if you actually read the note you´ll know that Intel was talking about that power / efficency thing (Recede ergo, Satan, in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti).

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Oh what a surprise another thread to start some AMD bashing :roll: Not like this forum has enough already :!: :roll:. Some Intel Guy says AMD's next line of processors suck and somehow I don't think he's going to say good things about their competitor :roll: I really wish these stupid threads would stop :!:

Rant over :D

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

Can't conveniently locate the link right now, but I could swear this "too little, too late" and "catch-up effort" is almost verbatim what amd said about C2D over a year ago.

Yea, I think I remember reading that when AMD dual cores first came out.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Can I borrow 20B from someone so I can buy them out? Good tech in the hands of stupid minds.

Dewd, can you imagine if the AMD board was entirely staffed of THG Forumz members? We'd eat up Intel and spit them out! Well, you guys could. I'd be too busy scoring the cute secretaries.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Well we dont suffer the same stigmas. We actually look at performance to lead regardless of who makes it. So there would be that realism. I for one would praise Intels achievements in tech. I would still think they are evil but I wouldnt DENY their designs capacity for computation.

And wed have to locate your office away from the main traffic areas, to avoid embarassing screams and moans distracting board meetings and high profile visitors.

I agree, but AMD is a smaller, leaner competitor who could outmaneouver Intel today as it has for so long in the past. A THG board with the combined brilliance of the various gurus on these Forumz (and even the limited IQ of the reactionary dolts like me) could come up with competitive strategies that would return the Duopoly to truly competitive nature instead of the current steamroller.

I'd be perfectly happy with my office at the back of the warehouse, as long as I had a mattress and a 55 gallon drum of Rohypnol. :twisted: