Setting up Windows Mail

Jeepers38

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Haven't been able to copy my Folders from Outlook Express to Windows Mail. No problem with Address Book (Contacts). Found the reference to moving messages but that route was not the answer. To go back, I copied my Outlook Express mail folders to my backup drive and now am trying to move them into Windows Mail. I assume this can be done, or can it? Thanks for all help.

Jeepers38

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Yes, the Import option in Windows Mail File is what I used, but couldn't get Import to do its thing. I did copy the Folders in XP Pro and pasted them to my backup drive. Maybe that is where the problem is(?). Will have to see if I can Move them. Thanks for your help.

You have to place your .dbx files in a folder called Outlook Express. When you import, you have to import as Outlook Express 6 and then select import from an OE store directory. Point it to the folder you named Outlook Express that contains the .dbx files and it should work.

Jeepers38

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Right-O! My problem was that I was copying the OE folders to a separate internal hard drive which is available to both OS drives. Then decided to copy and paste to an external drive. The import worked perfectly when done from that drive. Don't understand the difference . . . but it worked.
Thanks for your help.