Sign in with
Your question

I can't get linux to install on my computer

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 11, 2012 11:48:33 PM

I just built my new computer and everything seems to be working but I can't get my operating system to install.

I'm trying to install Linux Ubuntu from a usb flash drive and I can get to the screen to choose to try ubuntu without installing or simply install it to the hard drive. But if I choose either of them it goes to a black screen with a cursor in the upper left corner and it doesn't go any further.
I've tried leaving it alone for up to 2 hours without any results.

I'm using an Fx 4100 cpu
gigabyte 870A-usb3 motherboard
OCZ Agility 3 ssd

Am I doing something wrong in my installation? i

More about : linux install computer

a b 5 Linux
February 12, 2012 12:30:56 AM

First thing I would do it check the install media. Do you see the option to check media when you boot off the USB stick?
m
l
February 12, 2012 1:15:38 AM

I've tried that but I get the same screen. I'll try it again and see if it does anything this time.
m
l
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
February 12, 2012 10:17:02 AM

It sounds very much like corrupted install media. There should also be an option for Memtest, this is about as minimal as it gets so if that does not load either then I'd suggest creating your pendrive install media again.
m
l
February 12, 2012 2:52:24 PM

I've Redone the drive for the third time now and I'm still getting nothing. I've also tried Linux mint and I get the exact same thing.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 12, 2012 2:58:27 PM

I'm assuming that you don't have an optical drive; otherwise I would suggest using a CD (or DVD) rather than a USB flash drive. It just tends to make life easier.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 13, 2012 1:09:48 AM

Hmmm... That you get the first boot taking you to the menu show the device is recognised. Can you try disconnecting the HD and boot of the USB drive without it connected?
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 13, 2012 6:20:19 AM

how are you writing image to flash drive? this is likely the cause of issue...
m
l
February 14, 2012 10:01:45 PM

I'm using unetbootin and I've also used the startup disk creator on Linux Mint.
m
l
February 14, 2012 10:03:30 PM

audiovoodoo said:
Hmmm... That you get the first boot taking you to the menu show the device is recognised. Can you try disconnecting the HD and boot of the USB drive without it connected?

I have a question. I've gotten it to a terminal like screen and it says that my cpu cores are stalling. What would be causing this and is it important?
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 14, 2012 10:41:50 PM

I think we have an answer! Yes, VERY important. You really need to check all your BIOS settings, it sounds like you have some settings wrong.
m
l
February 14, 2012 11:24:33 PM

audiovoodoo said:
I think we have an answer! Yes, VERY important. You really need to check all your BIOS settings, it sounds like you have some settings wrong.

Which settings should I check? I've been through all of them and none of them seem to be out of order. Should I lower the clock speed of my cpu or the voltage?
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 14, 2012 11:30:35 PM

Set them back to the "fail-safe defaults"

or the closest thing to that.
m
l
February 15, 2012 12:08:50 AM

amdfangirl said:
Set them back to the "fail-safe defaults"

or the closest thing to that.

That's what I have it at. Could there be an error in the defaults that is causing my cpu to stall?
m
l
February 15, 2012 12:37:01 AM

audiovoodoo said:
What version of the BIOS are you running? The latest is the F5 revision according to the gigabyte site:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

If you're not on that version already then first step would be to upgrade to the latest version.

I had to upgrade it to support my FX cpu, so that can't be the problem. I have no clue what's going on.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 15, 2012 12:53:18 AM

Got to be honest, I'm rather out of ideas myself. You could try setting the drives to IDE mode, disable SMART but I'm clutching at straws with those suggestions. I'm starting to wonder if it's HW myself.
m
l
February 15, 2012 12:58:28 AM

audiovoodoo said:
Got to be honest, I'm rather out of ideas myself. You could try setting the drives to IDE mode, disable SMART but I'm clutching at straws with those suggestions. I'm starting to wonder if it's HW myself.

I'll try those. And what is HW? And could it just be that I have a defective cpu? or something of that nature? And should I try the 32 bit version of my operating system instead of 64?
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 15, 2012 1:15:47 AM

HW - Short for Hardware. It could possibly be a defective CPU. The 64Bit version should work fine, it is a 64Bit CPU that you have.
m
l
February 17, 2012 1:06:22 AM

audiovoodoo said:
HW - Short for Hardware. It could possibly be a defective CPU. The 64Bit version should work fine, it is a 64Bit CPU that you have.

Is there any way to possible fix it? Or should I just return it?
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 17, 2012 1:11:22 AM

Defective CPU? Not unless you can rewire on the nanometre scale.
m
l
February 17, 2012 7:45:26 PM

amdfangirl said:
Defective CPU? Not unless you can rewire on the nanometre scale.

Don't underestimate my ability

I'm just going to return it. I'm getting sick of my current computer.
m
l
February 18, 2012 8:52:52 PM

thatkid12345 said:
Don't underestimate my ability

I'm just going to return it. I'm getting sick of my current computer.

Lol never know who you're talking to on here
m
l
February 24, 2012 12:55:15 PM

thatkid12345 said:
I have a question. I've gotten it to a terminal like screen and it says that my cpu cores are stalling. What would be causing this and is it important?

I had something like this happen when i installed linux to an AMD box. Look in the bios for 'HPET timer' ( high Percisition timer ) turn it off is always causes linux kernels to pitch a fit and as far as i can see has no real use to man nor beast

Edit......i have manflu, so i regret spelling at the mo ;) 
m
l
!