I can't get linux to install on my computer

I just built my new computer and everything seems to be working but I can't get my operating system to install.

I'm trying to install Linux Ubuntu from a usb flash drive and I can get to the screen to choose to try ubuntu without installing or simply install it to the hard drive. But if I choose either of them it goes to a black screen with a cursor in the upper left corner and it doesn't go any further.
I've tried leaving it alone for up to 2 hours without any results.

I'm using an Fx 4100 cpu
gigabyte 870A-usb3 motherboard
OCZ Agility 3 ssd

Am I doing something wrong in my installation? i
24 answers Last reply
More about linux install computer
  1. First thing I would do it check the install media. Do you see the option to check media when you boot off the USB stick?
  2. I've tried that but I get the same screen. I'll try it again and see if it does anything this time.
  3. It sounds very much like corrupted install media. There should also be an option for Memtest, this is about as minimal as it gets so if that does not load either then I'd suggest creating your pendrive install media again.
  4. I've Redone the drive for the third time now and I'm still getting nothing. I've also tried Linux mint and I get the exact same thing.
  5. I'm assuming that you don't have an optical drive; otherwise I would suggest using a CD (or DVD) rather than a USB flash drive. It just tends to make life easier.
  6. Hmmm... That you get the first boot taking you to the menu show the device is recognised. Can you try disconnecting the HD and boot of the USB drive without it connected?
  7. how are you writing image to flash drive? this is likely the cause of issue...
  8. I'm using unetbootin and I've also used the startup disk creator on Linux Mint.
  9. audiovoodoo said:
    Hmmm... That you get the first boot taking you to the menu show the device is recognised. Can you try disconnecting the HD and boot of the USB drive without it connected?


    I have a question. I've gotten it to a terminal like screen and it says that my cpu cores are stalling. What would be causing this and is it important?
  10. I think we have an answer! Yes, VERY important. You really need to check all your BIOS settings, it sounds like you have some settings wrong.
  11. audiovoodoo said:
    I think we have an answer! Yes, VERY important. You really need to check all your BIOS settings, it sounds like you have some settings wrong.


    Which settings should I check? I've been through all of them and none of them seem to be out of order. Should I lower the clock speed of my cpu or the voltage?
  12. Set them back to the "fail-safe defaults"

    or the closest thing to that.
  13. amdfangirl said:
    Set them back to the "fail-safe defaults"

    or the closest thing to that.


    That's what I have it at. Could there be an error in the defaults that is causing my cpu to stall?
  14. What version of the BIOS are you running? The latest is the F5 revision according to the gigabyte site:

    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3423#bios

    If you're not on that version already then first step would be to upgrade to the latest version.
  15. audiovoodoo said:
    What version of the BIOS are you running? The latest is the F5 revision according to the gigabyte site:

    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3423#bios

    If you're not on that version already then first step would be to upgrade to the latest version.


    I had to upgrade it to support my FX cpu, so that can't be the problem. I have no clue what's going on.
  16. Got to be honest, I'm rather out of ideas myself. You could try setting the drives to IDE mode, disable SMART but I'm clutching at straws with those suggestions. I'm starting to wonder if it's HW myself.
  17. audiovoodoo said:
    Got to be honest, I'm rather out of ideas myself. You could try setting the drives to IDE mode, disable SMART but I'm clutching at straws with those suggestions. I'm starting to wonder if it's HW myself.


    I'll try those. And what is HW? And could it just be that I have a defective cpu? or something of that nature? And should I try the 32 bit version of my operating system instead of 64?
  18. HW - Short for Hardware. It could possibly be a defective CPU. The 64Bit version should work fine, it is a 64Bit CPU that you have.
  19. audiovoodoo said:
    HW - Short for Hardware. It could possibly be a defective CPU. The 64Bit version should work fine, it is a 64Bit CPU that you have.


    Is there any way to possible fix it? Or should I just return it?
  20. Defective CPU? Not unless you can rewire on the nanometre scale.
  21. amdfangirl said:
    Defective CPU? Not unless you can rewire on the nanometre scale.


    Don't underestimate my ability


    I'm just going to return it. I'm getting sick of my current computer.
  22. thatkid12345 said:
    Don't underestimate my ability


    I'm just going to return it. I'm getting sick of my current computer.

    Lol never know who you're talking to on here
  23. thatkid12345 said:
    I have a question. I've gotten it to a terminal like screen and it says that my cpu cores are stalling. What would be causing this and is it important?

    I had something like this happen when i installed linux to an AMD box. Look in the bios for 'HPET timer' ( high Percisition timer ) turn it off is always causes linux kernels to pitch a fit and as far as i can see has no real use to man nor beast


    Edit......i have manflu, so i regret spelling at the mo ;)
  24. I had to have a look as I'd not heard the term. The HPET is used to provide highly accurate timing, main use is in Multi Media to sync streams. Prior to Kernel 2.6 there were issues but nowadays it should be supported.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Linux