Sign in with
Your question

How to switch to 64-bit Vista

Last response: in Windows Vista
December 31, 2008 5:37:46 PM

Im thinking of switching to 64-bit Vista so i can put 4 GB of RAM in my computer. Is the switch as easy as just putting the 64-bit CD in and reinstalling Vista? Will it replace the old vista files, or will it erase my Hard Drive? Also, will i have to re-install all my programs to support 64-bit? THanks

More about : switch bit vista

December 31, 2008 7:51:11 PM

i believe you have to do a complete reinstall
I don't think its an upgrade.
But all the programs you have running now (except old ones w/ a 16 bit installer) should work fine on the x64 Vista
December 31, 2008 9:59:17 PM

But if its a complete reinstall, then im going to have to end up reinstalling all my programs again right?? And will i lose all of my data on my games that i have to reinstall?
Related resources
January 3, 2009 1:32:17 PM

Yes, no upgrade but clean installation (ain't not better a clean installation vs an upgrade? :) )

We will all need eventually to move to the world of x64 one day anyway.
I believe Vista was supposed to be x64 only initially. The world of drivers was not ready.

I'm surprised Windows 7 is still available in 32bits?
January 3, 2009 5:58:24 PM

Technically, Vista 64-bit is a whole different OS.

So it's as if you are going to switch to Linux. But of course, most windows programs still work.
January 3, 2009 9:10:23 PM

LoneEagle said:
Yes, no upgrade but clean installation (ain't not better a clean installation vs an upgrade? :) )

We will all need eventually to move to the world of x64 one day anyway.
I believe Vista was supposed to be x64 only initially. The world of drivers was not ready.

I'm surprised Windows 7 is still available in 32bits?

will my 2 GB of DDR3 memory not be as good as it is now on 32-bit? Im planning on buying another four GB, but i dont know if x64 requires more RAM to even run smoothly
!