My Computer and My Documents opens @ Startup

bmxer25

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
i just built a new computer and fresh install of everything ive ran it for a few days and prime 95'd it for 12 hours to check the stability of it... but just today i installed a new wireless card and after installing it it causes windows to now open My Computer and My Documents on startup and locks the computer up a few minutes later

i have no idea how to fix the problem but i am certian that it is the card because when u take the card out or disable the card right as windows starts up the popups dont happen and the system is stable.

the card is the Linksys wireless n adapter

G

Ok - the problem is My Documents opens up on your screen at Windows startup and there seems to be no obvious reason for this.

The answer is a corrupted registry entry.

Run regedit and navigate to:

HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon

In there there should be a value (on right hand side of screen) called Userinit.

The data for this value is probably something similar to:

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

If you do see a duplicated string in there similar to the above - simply double click on the Userinit value and edit the data so as to delete everything to the right of the first comma (,). In the case above you would leave only:

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Exit registry edit and reboot. No more My Documents!

I hope this is of benefit to someone in the future encoutering this annoying problem and stumbling across here in a search.

Grace_68

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Yes, it solved the problem on my computer by deleting the duplicated string for the value of userinit under registry

Thank you so much!

JOhn Aryan

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
i did this following procedure though its happening yet!!!so what can i do now to stop this bloody things?

Shumon

Ok - the problem is My Documents opens up on your screen at Windows startup and there seems to be no obvious reason for this.

The answer is a corrupted registry entry.

Run regedit and navigate to:

In there there should be a value (on right hand side of screen) called Userinit.

The data for this value is probably something similar to:

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

If you do see a duplicated string in there similar to the above - simply double click on the Userinit value and edit the data so as to delete everything to the right of the first comma (,). In the case above you would leave only:

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Exit registry edit and reboot. No more My Documents!

I hope this is of benefit to someone in the future encoutering this annoying problem and stumbling across here in a search.