Sign in with
Your question

Embarrassing for Nvidia - GTS drivers fail on Lost Planet!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2007 7:15:41 PM

Does anybody find the irony in this??? Lost Planet is an Nvidia sponsored game... and my 320 GTS drivers crash BAD a few minutes in.

Yeah, I know... it's just a demo...

Anybody else crashing?

e4300 OC'd @ 2.7
2GB 800mhz G-skill ram
Evga 320 GTS (standard clock)
Updated drivers
Vista 64 (program running in 32 bit mode)
May 22, 2007 7:38:06 PM

Under Windows XP I can't run the game for more than a minute or two and it crashes. I don't really care; the game isn't worth my time, and for a "Direct X10 title" it's a joke.
May 22, 2007 7:43:08 PM

Quote:
Under Windows XP I can't run the game for more than a minute or two and it crashes. I don't really care; the game isn't worth my time, and for a "Direct X10 title" it's a joke.

I didn't want to go "there," but yeah... the game itself is boring.
Related resources
May 22, 2007 7:48:40 PM

The game seems boring because you play as a lost.... planet. And planets are big, and not very nimble. They can carry many weapons at once though.

Anyone remember that old CGI cartoon (Planet wars). I remember it being good.
May 22, 2007 8:14:52 PM

Quote:
The game seems boring because you play as a lost.... planet. And planets are big, and not very nimble. They can carry many weapons at once though.

You play as a Planet????? What are you talking about?!?!?!?

My 8800 GTS 640 works ok for me. But yes, it is another boring console game. Probably would have been cool in 2004.
May 22, 2007 8:20:21 PM

Quote:

OOOOk... :roll:
May 22, 2007 8:36:02 PM

Quote:

You play as a Planet????? What are you talking about?!?!?!?

My 8800 GTS 640 works ok for me. But yes, it is another boring console game. Probably would have been cool in 2004.
who knew this game was actually a fight betwen a white dead star (star wars) vs many other planets o_O
May 22, 2007 9:12:15 PM

Quote:
Does anybody find the irony in this??? Lost Planet is an Nvidia sponsored game... and my 320 GTS drivers crash BAD a few minutes in.

Anybody else crashing?

e4300 OC'd @ 2.7
2GB 800mhz G-skill ram
Updated drivers

LMAO can you say user error :roll:

I have played through this demo dozens of times on both single and SLI'd 8800GTX's without a single hitch and over at nvnews.com so have a bunch of other people.

If anyone should be embarrassed it should be ATI with its horrid performance in this game under both DX9 and DX10 :roll:
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 22, 2007 9:44:02 PM

Aren't there new drivers out based on the Quadro that fix the crashing?

I'm just getting back here after a weekened of skiing, but I remember seeing drivers on Fudzilla, is this crashing since those 160s?
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
May 22, 2007 10:01:50 PM

sounds like a demo glitch. mines plays fine.

played it a few times from start to end(if u can call it that).

Don't worry about it.
May 22, 2007 10:03:27 PM

This definitely is not nVidia's fault! Something else is going on in ur system! As said before there have been way to many success stories of running this game on the nVidia drivers!

Best,

3Ball
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 22, 2007 11:25:07 PM

Quote:
This definitely is not nVidia's fault! Something else is going on in ur system! As said before there have been way to many success stories of running this game on the nVidia drivers!

If it's not nV's fault, then why would updated drivers fix it?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Considering that sentiment is mirrored on Capcom's forums, looks like it's more than just user error. Beta drivers after the game launches are a sign of the 'effectiveness' of programs like TWIMTBP and GETintheGAME, neither guarantees stability, playability or performance.
May 23, 2007 12:07:41 AM

Quote:

Anybody else crashing?

e4300 OC'd @ 2.7
2GB 800mhz G-skill ram
Updated drivers

I have played through this demo dozens of times on both single and SLI'd 8800GTX's without a single hitch and over at nvnews.com so have a bunch of other people.

If anyone should be embarrassed it should be ATI with its horrid performance in this game under both DX9 and DX10 :roll:

Huh? What does ATI have to do with this? I OWN a 320 GTS (which I love by the way and would recommend to others)...

I did not get the May 19th drivers... gosh, I didn't know I'd have to update drivers on a weekly basis with this card... but it still rocks for the price I paid :D 

The stress test worked perfectly, just when I go to play it locks up after a while... with the "Nvidia driver failed" message.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2007 12:28:25 AM

More importantly, what does the GTX have to do with this? I hope you can figure this one out, no help here tho, havnt read anything on it
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 23, 2007 12:34:03 AM

I think he figured it out.

I would guess he tried the new drivers (160s) like some people mentioned, and looks like he fixed his problem.

Imagine, all that, and I've never played it once to be able to tell him it's 'user error'. :wink:
May 23, 2007 12:53:50 AM

Quote:

Anybody else crashing?

e4300 OC'd @ 2.7
2GB 800mhz G-skill ram
Updated drivers

... the only DX10 bench we have is this game, and it is sponsored/optimized for nvidia cards, please, don't comment.
May 23, 2007 3:40:26 AM

Well when the demo first released I saw a review and there were no problems, so the driver fix must have been out then or it would have failed on those systems as well. I don't know what to say man. They worked from day one when i looked at the reviews, so I just assumed...I guess thats my bad!

Best,

3Ball
May 23, 2007 9:10:39 AM

Quote:

Maybe but I still doubt it should be crashing.
Anyway what happened to the first retail D10 game on Vista Halo 2? I could not find any benchmarks for it (not to mention reviews).
May 23, 2007 10:40:38 AM

Quote:

If it's not nV's fault, then why would updated drivers fix it?

Considering that sentiment is mirrored on Capcom's forums, looks like it's more than just user error. Beta drivers after the game launches are a sign of the 'effectiveness' of programs like TWIMTBP and GETintheGAME, neither guarantees stability, playability or performance.

thanks for that, i was having the same problem as well.
May 23, 2007 12:16:21 PM

Quote:

Anyway what happened to the first retail D10 game on Vista Halo 2? I could not find any benchmarks for it (not to mention reviews).

Halo 2 was supposed to come out today, but looks like it got pushed to May 31.

It is a DX9 title (not DX10)... but only works with Vista. Confusing, huh??
May 23, 2007 12:17:06 PM

Quote:

thanks for that, i was having the same problem as well.

Noob... :lol:  :lol: 
May 23, 2007 12:31:41 PM

Quote:

Whoa, so they made it Vista only for no reason at all. So any idea when the first DX10 game will hit retail?
May 23, 2007 12:40:29 PM

Quote:

Whoa, so they made it Vista only for no reason at all. So any idea when the first DX10 game will hit retail?

Made it Vista to SELL VISTA... doesn't bother me since I needed a fresh OS anyway. I'd be PO'd if I had installed XP last year.

The thing with the DX10 titles... it's hard to say which are TRUE DX10 games vs. games built on DX9 with DX10 functionality "slapped on." Even Crysis is DX9.

The true test will be major DX10 exclusive titles (not to be confused with Vista exclusive titles). Maybe someone can share some... I suspect we won't see any for a few years.
May 23, 2007 1:03:54 PM

Quote:
... the only DX10 bench we have is this game, and it is sponsored/optimized for nvidia cards, please, don't comment.
The game is a joke; under Direct X10, it actually runs worse than the Direct X9 version at the same quality. I ran the latest Windows XP driver and the game still crashes after about a minute. I really don't care to play some Xbox360 port anyways.
May 23, 2007 7:27:55 PM

lol, why is it a surprise to you that is ran worse in DX10 than DX9 on same quality levels?

Best,

3Ball
May 23, 2007 8:21:00 PM

Quote:
lol, why is it a surprise to you that is ran worse in DX10 than DX9 on same quality levels?

Best,

3Ball
Because Microsoft and others have been claiming for months how faster and more efficient Direct X10 is. I mean, I wasn't expecting a huge improvement, but I also didn't expect it to actually perform worse. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 23, 2007 8:27:34 PM

It was only a surprise to me because of FS' intro to their examination of Lost Planet, they do this whole build up of what 2 paths there are for DX10 (performance or visuals [of course they forgot 'balance of both']) and then say that Lost Planet DX10 is for Performance improvements, and then go on to show it detrimental to performance. :roll:

The main thing is Juarez and Lost Planet seem to simply add shiny stuff to the existing DX9 codepath. If they were already doing the similar effects in a DX9 way replaced by the better DX10 method (eg. offset parallax occlusion mapping being replaced by true dissplacement mapping, or geometry instancing in Geometry shader replication fom buffer vs Vertex shaders) then you should see better versions of the DX9 effect with a performance improvement. But since both games basically only tweak the existing methods and don't replace them with better ones, then they are simply increasing the load, which is a crap 'hey look what I can do' method. I suspect the Heavy geometry/vertex load of FSX will see some performance improvements if they try to achieve the same effects efficiently instead of taking on bigger loads. Considering the current performance issues of FSX the best way for them IMO would be DX10 for performance first, then DX10 expansion pack for mega clouds/terrain later. I suspect Crysis will also have that distinct break because the lushness we've seen sofar would be nigh on impossible (unplayable) under DX9, wheras the current 'DX10' effects could all be done pretty well under SM3.0, heck even SM2.0+.
May 23, 2007 9:09:25 PM

Always go to the guru and get the latest drivers. :p  Worked flawlessly on my 8800gts 320. http://guru3d.com/ nubs...
May 23, 2007 9:25:04 PM

I played through both levels a couple times with the dx10 version with a 640mb 8800gts. Ran fantastic.
May 23, 2007 9:31:02 PM

Quote:

Anybody else crashing?

e4300 OC'd @ 2.7
2GB 800mhz G-skill ram
Updated drivers

Actually my system (in sig) runs very nicely on the dx9 demo, getting 67fps average overall at the highest in-game res below 1680x1050 (wont show my native) and all settings maxxed, so i don't know what you are on about there.

And for people saying well dx10 sucks etc - this is a dx9 game with a dx10 port, it is very inefficient in dx10 and not representative of what dx10 can do, also the fact that dx10 drivers are still in their youth as well as the hardware i'd wait for a while before condemning nvidia/ati or dx10.
May 23, 2007 10:01:29 PM

@ Heyyou - Touche!

@ GreatApe - Thx for the explanation.

Damn those crappy DX10 benchies then! lol

Best,

3Ball
May 24, 2007 10:02:07 AM

See this article - http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=408
Quote:
First, a VERY recent history of the events alluded to above needs to be explained for those not privy to the emails we have seen here at PC Perspective.

Before the recent launch of AMD’s Radeon HD 2900 XT card, the AMD marketing staff distributed what was basically the first DirectX 10 benchmark most media and readers had ever seen in the form of the "Call of Juarez" demo. It was originally presented "as-is" with a brief synopsis of the title and basic benchmarking directions.

Shortly thereafter, and still before the HD 2900 XT launch, NVIDIA found out about this "Juarez" demo that AMD sent out and claimed that the code in it was out of date. NVIDIA had already seen this build of the demo and had fixed a part in TechLand’s (the "Juarez" developer) code that was mishandling anti-aliasing buffers and causing the NVIDIA driver to crash. NVIDIA said in fact that this actually violated the DX10 specifications, but that NVIDIA found the bug, fixed it and resubmitted it back to TechLand; something that NVIDIA’s and AMD’s driver teams will often do.
May 24, 2007 11:59:58 AM

Quote:

Anybody else crashing?

e4300 OC'd @ 2.7
2GB 800mhz G-skill ram
Updated drivers

I can't play the demo (both versions) in Vista 64, the controls won't respond. only the mouse seems to kinda work. Menu goes all funny if I try to change anything. The benchmark runs fine though.

Tried it in XP, runs for a few minutes before locking up.

Using a GTX.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 24, 2007 4:31:10 PM

I've read the article, and they're both TWIMTBP titles so what does that say for the section you quote?

AMD may have had access to Juarez, but the fact that they didn't have the latest unbuggy version is more of a Techland issue than as if AMD we're fudging the numbers. And that nV had the latest build from Techland and AMD had not been given this is once again an example of the developer preferential activities that in this case backfired on nV and made their hardware look bad at first, and they had to then explain why it's the app and not it's hardware that's at fault.

These shenanigans are ongoing and like the article shows, not in the best interest of the consumers paying $500 for the hardware.
May 24, 2007 5:20:37 PM

Oh I did not mean that AMD is fudging the benchmarks. I just think its silly what both companies are doing and the article's quite right. I wanted to make a point that arguing about the DX10 benchmarks at this stage is futile.
May 24, 2007 5:53:06 PM

I see that there are a few people who are having problems with Lost Planet. I have a 8800GTX BFG OC2 and I have no issues what so ever with it. The game... er... demo runs fine on both the levels. My only complaint is that the game is still set up with all the buttons for the 360 (like when it tells you to press a button, "b" i think, you have to press "e"0. It is not a major set back, but you can tell that is was just made to work on the pc and very little seems to be done other then that.

It may be my system that allows me to run it fine, but I am surprised to hear that there are 8800 gts that are having problems. I did notice that when I turned Vsync on that it made my fps constent vs going anywhere from 80 - 178 or 42-90 depending on the amount of action and how close I am to it....

My only hope is that the hd2900 line can pick up some slack either from drivers, the XTX version, or after the die shrink to 65nm. The GTX has still been unchallenged and that keeps prices high.

8800GTX BFG OC2
Q6600
4 Gb RAM
305.6 Gb HD in Raid 0
Vista Ultimate 64bit
EVGA 680i SLI
X-Fi Fatal1ty
May 24, 2007 6:22:51 PM

No problems with the gts's just people don't know how to use correct drivers and setup there systems correctly and blame demo, cards, drivers or just don't have the right hardware to handle it. :p  Nubs

Quote:
Because Microsoft and others have been claiming for months how faster and more efficient Direct X10 is. I mean, I wasn't expecting a huge improvement, but I also didn't expect it to actually perform worse. Laughing
Omg they did, when vista itself is slower in games then xp. DX10 is going to be quite demanding i don't see it being faster or more efficient, But i could be wrong. I think even the latest hardware will have some problems handling it.
May 24, 2007 6:27:16 PM

Ahh! That explains it!
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 24, 2007 6:52:46 PM

Quote:
Oh I did not mean that AMD is fudging the benchmarks. I just think its silly what both companies are doing and the article's quite right. I wanted to make a point that arguing about the DX10 benchmarks at this stage is futile.

Yeah I agree with that for sure.
I think companies need to exploit as much from both companies as possible (within time frames/manhours, etc).

Some things are obvious favourable actions, and other things aren't implemented that would benefit one company over another.

It's like D3's methods for Z handling favoured the nV method and hurt the otherwise very effective ATi method, was this on purpose, who knows, it likely would've cost many more man hours for Id to implement both effectively. With HL2, the FX series cou;d've been greatly assisted if Valve had spent the time and man hours to add partial precision calls to help the FX be more playable.

Both of these are examples where I think vendor relations made the company pick one method over the other to favour their relationship, they didn't hurt the other company per say, but didn't optimize as much as if the title had been more closely related to the other camp, or likely if it had been truely IHV neutral.

Considering what both companies say the goal of these programs are, and the reality of these programs (how many titles have been released with serious bugs requiring pathces/drivers on the hardware of the prefered sponsor [couldn't they fix that in production if it was so close to the developers?] HL2, Oblivion, etc)

It's one of the few reasons I'd like to see intel get into all this because there isn't a single developer out there willing to trade ATi/AMD & nV's support for pissing off intel. The only problem is that intel has a completely different hardware perspective on things so if they do start to influence game tweaks/design it could be bad for both AMD and nV if they use the same tactics they both used in the past. :?
!