Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Hey everyone.

Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I just want a people's opinion

I'm planning on building a new PC. Here are the main specs:

EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW motherboard w/ SLI ready
Intel Core 2 Duo Q9550 - 2.83GHz, 12MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB
4 x 1024MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Nvidia SLI-Ready
2 x EVGA GeForce 8500 GT Video Card - 1GB GDDR2, PCI Express, SLI Ready (In SLI Mode)
with an SLI complaint PSU
(HDD and DVDRW - havent decided what yet)

Now my question is with the OS.

Can't decide if I should use XP pro sp3, Vista Ultimate or Vista Business all 32 bit. I don't want to risk going to 64 bit b/c there might be some conflict with program compatibilities.

This PC will be used mainly for gaming and online use. I've always used XP pro. But with this new monster computer, I'm leaning more towards Ultimate. Just want to get a consensus.

You will find that Vista 64 is the OS of choice for gaming these days. There really are just a tiny number of oddball programs that won't run under 64. The days when this was a problem are over.

You can put 4 gig of ram in that rig and then install a 32 bit OS but you will be lucky to have 3 gig of usable RAM out of your 4, maybe as little as 2. Only way to use all 4 gig with XP or Vista will be a 64 bit version. This alone is reason enough to steer clear of 32 bit! Actually, since DDR 2 is so damn cheap you ought to go ahead and get 8.

XP is a good choice too. It's still the most universally compatible - but Vista is closing the gap on compatibility fast, it's 99% there, all relatively modern games run fine and at the same frame rates (Manhunter has some issues) and with Vista you are buying into the future with DX 10 and DX 11, plus the next version of Windows will use the same drivers as Vista so Vista will hold you in good stead for years to come.

Final verdict: Vista 64 and don't even think about it.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
go with vista premium.

I avoided it until a hd camera, a hd vid card (dx10) and capping myself to 3gb of ram. it is time to evolve... I am not into the artsy stuff, it is the vids getting diarhea on good hardware...Xp is all done to me.
I have even yelled about it.