swolenator

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I play alot of counter strike source and have fps issues. I get these huge drops in fps even if only two people on the screen. i have a p43.0 2gb ram and a 6800gt agp. I run all the configs to get better fps and lowered all the settings and resolution but it still occurs. In the stress test i get like 100fps but in game i usually get a high of 60 average around 45 which is fine but then it will like freeze temporarily like few secs and drop to like 15-20fps. I tried overclocking the 6800gt that didn't help at all either. And before you ask no I cannot buy a whole new pc at this time but I am thinking about getting a 3850 card. Anyways I noticed in my task manager processes list I have 53 processes running a cpu usage of 4% but just sitting here i saw it jump up to 20% without running anything new and a commit charge: 542m/3943M. And yes i'm on a dell its a dell xps gen 2 but I was thinking maybe if i disable some of these processes it would free up some processor usage and maybe that's the problem because I know someone with the same specs who gets better fps. I'm thinking 53 processes is alot to be running and I will list what is showing in it and which I can disable safely. I'm just going to list them all even firefox lol
taskmgr.exe,
mcsysmon.exe,
svchost.exe,
nvsvc32.exe,
msksrver.exe,
MpfSrv.exe,
Mcshield.exe,
McProxy.exe, antivirus
McNASvc.exe,
mcmscsvc.exe,
Steam.exe,
CTxfispi.exe,
ctfmon.exe,
rundll32.exe,
dldwmsdmon.exe,
dldwmon.exe,
LGDCore.exe,
LCDMon.exe,
McPvTray.exe,
mcagent.exe,
Ctxfihlp.exe,
Volpanlu.exe,
CTHELPER.EXE,
IAAnotif.exe,
alg.exe,
explorer.exe,
IAANTmon.exe,
dldwserv.exe,
dldwcoms.exe,
McSACore.exe,
aawservice.exe which i cant get to not run,
CTSVCCDA.EXE,
svchost.exe listed 3 times under local service, network service, and system, isass.exe lsass.exe?,
services.exe,
winlogon.exe,
csrss.exe,
smss.exe,
KHALMNPR.exe,
CTAudSvc.exe,
LCDMedia.exe,
LCDPop3.exe,
LCDClock.exe,
LCDCountdown.exe which lcd is for my g15 keyboard,
spoolsv.exe,
SetPoint.exe,
System,
System Idle Process

what can i turn off and does anyone have any suggestions?

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
----------------Intel application acceleration software - you could try stopping them with task manager but i doubt there will be much benefit to doing so.
IAAnotif.exe,
IAANTmon.exe,

--------------------- ad-aware ad blocker service - could be uninstalled and use firefox with adblocker plus instead
aawservice.exe which i cant get to not run,

---------------------mcafee antivirus etc - could be replaced with a different antivirus and separate firewall program which would hopefully have less processes.
McSACore.exe,
McPvTray.exe,
mcagent.exe,
Mcshield.exe,
McProxy.exe, antivirus
McNASvc.exe,
mcsysmon.exe,
msksrver.exe
MpfSrv.exe,
mcmscsvc.exe,

-------------------- normal stuff
svchost.exe listed 3 times under local service, network service, and system, isass.exe lsass.exe?,
services.exe,
winlogon.exe,
csrss.exe,
smss.exe,
alg.exe,
explorer.exe,
ctfmon.exe, - can be stopped in taskmanager - but effect wouldnt be anything
rundll32.exe,
taskmgr.exe, - im assuming was open for you to make this list

--------------------- audio program - creative audio
CTAudSvc.exe,
CTxfispi.exe,
Ctxfihlp.exe,
CTHELPER.EXE,
CTSVCCDA.EXE,
Volpanlu.exe,

----------------------- this lot are your keyboard
LGDCore.exe,
LCDMon.exe,
LCDMedia.exe,
LCDPop3.exe,
LCDClock.exe,
LCDCountdown.exe which lcd is for my g15 keyboard,

---------------------printer service - no printer? can stop this
spoolsv.exe,

--------------------this is for your logitech mouse
SetPoint.exe,
KHALMNPR.exe,

-------------------- steam
Steam.exe,

----------------------nvidia driver
nvsvc32.exe

---------------------- nooo idea wtf these are, but im wondering whether you were downloading any updates from steam?
if i remove the dld from the start of their names stuff does come up for them in google, but otherwise theres no info on them, do you have any download managers?
dldwmsdmon.exe,
dldwmon.exe,
dldwserv.exe,
dldwcoms.exe,

------------------------------------------------

so, well, if you really want to reduce the number of processes on your machine id suggest switching to a different anti virus/firewall, use adblocker plus with firefox instead of ad-aware,

the spikes could just be mcafee checking files on your system as they are accessed, avg does the same on my machine. for comparison - on my machine i have 37 processes running atm.