Sign in with
Your question

DirectX 10 coming to AGP - details

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2007 8:17:49 PM

On the attached... http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2xl7.jp... are details of the upcoming AGP DirectX 10 products coming from Sapphire in July...

What I took particular note of is the HD2600 Pro; it states that it does not have an external power connector, getting all its juice from the AGP bus... That has to be south of the 40W max limit over AGP, seems a very good upgrade for older systems with less than stellar PSU's, and should have a price to make it worthwhile..

(PS nah nah all them people who stated that DX10 would never come to AGP)
May 22, 2007 8:31:00 PM

It would be very nice to be able to get DX10 cards for AGP.
Since alot of people aren't going to be able to afford to buy a new board
and a PCIe card just to run DX10. So this could stave off alot of peoples
computers from being obsolete for at least 6 more months. :lol: 
May 22, 2007 8:52:43 PM

Wow... I have to hand it to ATI for looking out for their customers with older rigs. If that's credible, I'm impressed.
Related resources
a c 358 U Graphics card
May 22, 2007 9:39:59 PM

Quote:
Wow... I have to hand it to ATI for looking out for their customers with older rigs. If that's credible, I'm impressed.

No, actually the praise should go to Sapphire since they are the ones who is adapting it to an AGP card.
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 22, 2007 9:59:56 PM

Thats brilliant now all we need is dx10 support for xp and were in business. Surley its coming i mean ok the card will run dx9 stuff and well from those numbers which may be enough for a lot of people, but also a lot of people out there want to be able to play the upcoming dx10 games.
As we know you need vista for that and im only guessing but would think(dont all shoot me at once if im wrong) :? that most people with an agp port would be running xp.

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2007 12:19:03 AM

Quote:

No, actually the praise should go to Sapphire since they are the ones who is adapting it to an AGP card.

Actually ATi/AMD announced future support for AGP and that the R600 line was interoperable with the Rialto chip about 2 months ago, so it wasn't an initiative of Sapphire's to 'adapt' to AGP. Their sole purpose is to make and sell what will still turn out to be a niche card.

The difference is that the volumes aren't enough so that there likely won't be any BBA cards coming out that suport AGP. With such a small market, it's better to leave that to the AIBs who can decide for themselves which ones are worth the cost. Just like passive heatsink, watercooling, etc. it's just another optional feature for AIBs to add to their list to differentiate themselves from each other.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2007 12:20:36 AM

DX10 for XP is possible, but like AGP fo DX10 it will come down to cost/reward.

If M$ feels that they can get enough money from making DX10 for XP, they may make the effort, but there's alot more involved there than simply fliping a bit.
May 23, 2007 1:38:15 AM

Ah... thanks for bailing me out, ape. ;) 
May 23, 2007 2:04:51 AM

Anybody got a HD2600 for PCI they will sell me?
May 23, 2007 4:57:31 AM

What The? A picture of what's printed on the core sure would be nice!

This was probably scabbed up by someone going through the dumpsters over at AMD :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2007 5:55:06 AM

lol, I made that in photoshop a few days ago and you all fell for it :lol:  .
!