Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Screwed my hdd

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 18, 2012 3:51:50 PM

I think I should have posted this 5 hours ago when it all began and which now follows in the below lines.

So I had Ubuntu installed on my friends laptop and she wanted to remove Ubuntu and install windows. So I made a flash bootable USB drive with Windows installer in it, and tried to install however installer won't detect Linux partitions.

Did a bit of reading here and there, and found that RMPrepUSB + Grub4USB + Partition wizard in single USB drive can help format Linux partitions, and so I did, and again windows installer won't find the partitions...

Then with some more googling found the FIXMBR command and tried that too, still no go.

Finally I came across a very powerful utility (makers make it explicit to accept that they are not responsible for whatever you do with it) called ultimate boot cd, used it with RMPrepUSB + Grub4USB and slip streamed Windows in it. Tried to load window, it gave a bSOD. So I performed a DOD WIPE followed by a format in NTFS using partition magic also slip streamed using RMPREPUSB etc etc

Now when I try to install windows it says HDD is not recognizable or corrupt. What should I do now? It is not even showing the HDD as un-partitioned or partitioned space or anything...
Just shows USB drive that I am using to install as the only disk recognized.

More about : screwed hdd

February 18, 2012 8:23:15 PM

If the windows installer is not recognizing your hd then it is either not loading the drivers for or hard drive has been damaged or cannot be found.

For your sake I would hope for the first.

do you have the laptops original recovery cds?

Best solution

February 19, 2012 4:59:04 AM

Basically, if you can't see it from BIOS/UEFI, there's something wrong with the hard disk itself and she needs to get a replacement drive for the laptop.

If you can see it under BIOS/UEFI, I would suggest using something like a Linux LiveCD/LiveUSB to do a zero-fill to wipe the drive. When booted to the live media, if you aren't sure which device to use as the target of the zero-fill, use the fdisk -l command to find the device that matches the expected size of the harddisk (you can also use something like smartclt -a /path/to/suspected/disk to ensure that it's the disk you want to wipe.

Once the disk is wiped clean, the Windows installer should see it as a possible disk onto which it can install. Let us know what you find.
October 20, 2013 1:10:31 PM

I reply after 2 years, I know :D  I was kidnapped by aliens and taken to their planet but somehow I escaped. I will save the details of the escape for some other day.

Well thanks a lot though, it worked!
!