Sharing a computers internet connection

secondsystem

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
How do I share internet access from my laptop with a wireless connection to my desktop without one?

I have a laptop that has access to a wireless router with internet.
I have a desktop that does not have a wireless card and not enough ethernet cable to reach the wireless router.

I have a separate router and enough ethernet cable to connect my desktop to the router and the router to the laptop also.

I know this will slow down my laptop's connection speed considerably but I don't care. I just want internet access.

Here is a terrible diagram I hope it helps.

Wireless: ))- - - - -((
Wired: --------

[Internet]-------[router]))- - - - - -(([laptop]---------[router]----------[desktop]

Or

[Internet]-------[router]))- - - - - -(([laptop]---------[desktop]

Thanks

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Ok I'm assuming windows if so this is how you do it
bridge set to static IP
| |
[Internet]-------[router]))- - - - - -(([laptop]---------[switch]----------[desktop]
or
[hub]
or
[crossover cable]
or
[switch on router with dhcp shut off]

You set up a birdge on the notebook by selecting both network adapters right click and then hit bridge. Sometimes you have to set static ip on the notebook too for it to work. Sometimes bridging is flakey and tells you your wirless or wired is not connected when it is.

The desktop needs to be set to static IP since the DHCP call will not be forwarded from the router.

An easier way is to use the same setup but using ICS (internet connection sharing) that would set up the notebook as a dhcp server (no need for static ip) with the same wiring set up. I don't use this method because if another computer joins the network wirelessly or wired from the router you would be unable to network with it.

Other solutions include setting up a wds bridge between two wireless router only possible with wpa under dd-wrt or apple router. If your going to have the second router transmit make sure it is on a diff SSID otherwise infinteloop when the notebook tries to connect to the router connected to the desktop.