Sign in with
Your question

Vista Web browsers issues

Last response: in Windows Vista
January 1, 2009 11:32:29 PM

I have a new Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium on it that is having issues with connecting to the internet via web browsers (IE & Firefox).

I'll be surfing the web for any given period of time, having full signal strength to the internet whether I'm using wi-fi or a cable...then the web pages will stop loading for no apparent reason. It eventually gives the message that the page was unable to load. It is not an internet connection issue, because other web based programs will continue to run, such as World of Warcraft.

In order to get the web browsers to work and load again, I have to restart the laptop. Normally restarting the laptop goes quickly, but sometimes when the browser issues come up, it can take several minutes to respond and restart.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks for any help.
January 2, 2009 12:37:53 AM

Update the drivers for your wireless NIC.
m
l
January 2, 2009 3:31:17 AM

I already have and there is no change. Also it doesnt matter if its on wifi or connected with the ethernet cable it still happens.

Thanks for your idea.
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2009 5:25:40 AM

Could be a firewall issue... are you running any third-party anti-malware apps?
m
l
January 2, 2009 5:57:00 AM

I run Nod32, Zonealarm, and spyware guard
m
l
January 2, 2009 6:15:10 AM

Zonealarm may be getting a little overzealous... try disabling it for a while and see if the issue returns. ZoneAlarm was always a little too ambitious for my liking.
m
l
January 2, 2009 3:47:28 PM

OK I'll give that a try, is there another firewall you would suggest?

Thanks
m
l
January 2, 2009 5:46:27 PM

If you have a router, the Windows firewall should be sufficient. I can never remember any free alternatives to Zone Alarm.
m
l
!