Lubuntu or Ubunutu

Microgoliath

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Sup

I'm looking to install a lightish version of Linux on my old mans PC (P4 with 2gb ram i think) he isn't a techie at all and is only gonna use it for his usual internet browsing. Should i install Lubuntu 11.10 or Ubunutu 10.10? Which will run better for him? or is there any other 'light' distro thats easy to use / setup.

Microgoliath

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Will i see a massive difference between Lubunutu and Linux mint? Coz i already got both Lubunutu and Ubunutu dwnloaded (got it some time ago). If there is a big difference, could someone link me to a download of Mint?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Check out Mozilla Thunderbird. I haven't used Outlook very much, but they look pretty similar to me. It works on Windows as well, so you could at least get them to check it out before switching.

Microgoliath

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
K I've found a way, using your words and google ^^ just 1 more problem now he also wants his printer from HP working, its a Deskjest 2050A will it work with its standard drivers?

Microgoliath

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Its installed now, i was trying to get Mint to install over USB but it wouldn't work? Lubunutu worked though so i went with that, installing the needed drivers (for printer, etc) and getting him Chrome. So far no problems but if i do run into any i'll ask here :)

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I've heard of people having issues installing Mint via USB. Not sure if it's a widespread issue or if it's isolated to specific hardware. Lubuntu should serve you just fine though. :)

Microgoliath

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
It seems to be a bit unresponsive and hangs every now and then, is there any changes I can make to stop this? Or increase performance?

Also having trouble with the email client, I got evolution installed but can't find the icon and need to use run to open it (alt + f2).