Refuses to auto-connect

dashbarron

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I'm having the worst time trying to get a new laptop to connect to an also new Linksys WRT54G router wirelessly.

Via the Windows XP interface, a bubble pops up telling me it finds a wireless network. When I open the window however, it does not list any.

Going through the Dell utility card, I can see the network, but clicking connect does nothing.

Finally, when I go through the Easy Link Advisor, Linksys' software interface, it says it cannot find the router.

However, when I connect the computer via Ethernet, it works beautifully. Once I'm connected, I can go through the Easy Link Advisor, click "I want to unwire this computer," and after a 5 minute setup, my computer connects wirelessly, I can unplug the Ethernet cord, and I am free to use the internet! However, if I disconnect the wireless connection, or restart my computer, I cannot get it to reconnect to the network, let alone find a network via Windows or Linksys interface, unless I plug in an Ethernet cable and go through the same stuff all over.

I've worked with wired networks on my own for 8 years or so, but I can't figure this problem out! How do I get it to recognize, and automatically connect me to my router?

This is a very frustrating problem, and the Linksys community forum support is of no help. I turn to you people for any light you may shed. Thank you.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You could try resetting the router to the factory settings, should be a button, possibly recessed, and then set up the router, this will reset any log on and passwords. Delete the wireless drivers and reinstall them and run the wireless connection wizard.

dashbarron

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Mmm, trired the router setting, did nothing. Havent deleted the drivers yet, but the wireless connection wizard doesnt help.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Did you make sure the DNS was set to automatic as well as the IP?